Windows 10: So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can

Discus and support So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; One last thought tonight... are all USB sticks bootable? This was a 4 GB freebee one. I erased all files before downloading that ISO file to it ... is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Squibbler, Apr 19, 2017.

1. simrick Win User

So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can

All USB sticks can be "made" bootable - it depends on what you're doing with them. They're not bootable just because they're a USB stick. You have to put the boot files on them.

You might try creating the USB stick using RUFUS - that will make sure your stick is bootable.
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

You can use RUFUS to create the USB stick for Kyhi's rescue media. You'll have to do it on another machine though, as yours is just too messed up right now.

Maybe we just figured out why it's not working? You have to download the ISO, mount it, and copy all the files over to the USB stick. It should be bootable. But, when having problems, I go to RUFUS - never fails. It has to be done on a working machine though.

simrick, Apr 21, 2017
  2. Squibbler Win User

Ok I will try that... just to clarify , I need to format it for legacy and not UEFi? I can borrow a laptop. So i create a bootable USB stick with rufus .. as there will need to be these boot files on it as well as Kyhi's ISO file ultimately ?
    i need then to download Kyhi's ISO file direct to the stick? When you say mount it, is that done when it boots up as my system kept wanting to open the file in Roxio. No option to mount it. And then i am a bit confused on this bit..l I need to copy the mounted files back to the stick? Thanks

Squibbler, Apr 21, 2017
  3. simrick Win User
    Let's try to avoid Roxio, since I don't have that installed and can't walk you through it:

Okay so borrow a laptop. Download Kyhi's custom rescue media ISO and save it to the desktop of the borrowed laptop.
    Download RUFUS, save it to a folder on the desktop of the borrowed laptop.
    Run RUFUS to create the bootable flash drive using Kyhi's rescue ISO.
    (Don't return the laptop yet...we'll still need it.)

simrick, Apr 21, 2017
  4. Squibbler Win User

Hi - I think I have done this successfully - fingers crossed!

Squibbler, Apr 21, 2017
  5. Squibbler Win User
    I just tested boot up of this flash drive on my desktop as per original instructions and it seemed to work, bringing up a number of files. However, none of them appear to be called HDTune or Speccy. I shut down.

i now have another really serious issue. I shut down as I say, removed the stick, and I now cannot boot up my desktop at all *Sad it says missing operating system *Sad I checked F2 on bootup and it is set to the hard drive.

I have not yet done my backups *Sad *Sad *Sad Has the flash drive removed my operating system? I didn't run any of the software on it

I just tried booting from the stick again and now it is not booting up at all.. it says press any key to boot from flash drive and then I get the windows logo and then nothing - blank screen!

HElp!

Squibbler, Apr 21, 2017
  6. Squibbler Win User
    My big worry now is all my data ..will this be retrievable somehow?

Squibbler, Apr 21, 2017
  7. Squibbler Win User
    Okay I noticed that in the bios boot up, the RAID drives are missing from the list to select from. Not sure why this is.. there is now a SATA option instead.

Squibbler, Apr 21, 2017
  8. simrick Win User

No. It hasn't. Let me see if I can get us some help on the RAID issue.

simrick, Apr 21, 2017
  9. Squibbler Win User
    Is data retrievable if raid drives die?

Squibbler, Apr 21, 2017
  10. essenbe Win User
    Hi Squibbler, I am far from an expert on Raid but I am somewhat familiar with it. Do you know if you were in Raid 0 or Raid 1?
    There is nothing that booting from the USB would have done to cause your problem you are having now.

essenbe, Apr 21, 2017
  11. essenbe Win User
    When you booted into the USB, did you change your boot options in BIOS? If you did, go back and put it just like it was before you changed it.

essenbe, Apr 21, 2017
  12. Squibbler Win User
    I believe it was Raid 0 *Sad

no I actually didn't change the boot options today when I tried the stick , it was set to hard disk raid 0 as first option, then the cd/ DVD and third was USB stick... but it obviously bypassed the first two and went with the stick.

what is odd though, is the stick won't boot now to a screen showing files either after that first successful attempt. Now I get the windows logo for a few seconds followed by a blank screen

my disks are not making strange noises, I believe that is a good thing regarding retrieval chances

Squibbler, Apr 21, 2017
  13. essenbe Win User

In BIOS do you have the option for hard disk raid 0 ? If so set that as your first boot device.

Have you done any backups or images of your system? If you are in Raid 0 and lost a hard drive, I know of no way to recover your data. This is one of the problems with running Raid 0.

essenbe, Apr 22, 2017
  14. Squibbler Win User
    No the option appears to have gone.. it used to say raid and now it says sata.. there is no raid option now, I checked.
    i have been really lax on backups/ images...last one was embarrassingly win 7 in 2013.. i was actually going to do one tomorrow .. we do back up photos etc to an external drive but I haven't been good at backing up email folders. I also have some genealogy documents I have paid for which I held electronically on there and should have backed up.

Squibbler, Apr 22, 2017
  15. Squibbler Win User
    Could it be the disc controllers and not the disks that went? I am wondering if I can get the data professionally retrieved

Squibbler, Apr 22, 2017
Thema:

1. So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can - Similar Threads - many problems Error

2. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?: I tried the system restore point but it was interrupted saying there was a disk read error. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem. Whenever I press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys to restart as instructed, I only hear beeps and it doesn't restart. Please can...
  3. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?: I tried the system restore point but it was interrupted saying there was a disk read error. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem. Whenever I press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys to restart as instructed, I only hear beeps and it doesn't restart. Please can...
  4. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. So I have many problems please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So I have many problems please help: Okay, so I have bsod critical process died BUT I forgot my password and here’s the thing, when I last reset my pc it told me to create a pin NOTHING ABOUT A PASSWORD am I able to fix this problem?Also if this can do anything I have a usbThat’s all...
  6. So I have many problems please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    So I have many problems please help: Okay, so I have bsod critical process died BUT I forgot my password and here’s the thing, when I last reset my pc it told me to create a pin NOTHING ABOUT A PASSWORD am I able to fix this problem?Also if this can do anything I have a usbThat’s all...
  7. So I have many problems please help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. So many errors at once please help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    So many errors at once please help: So lemme start from first like I was using adrenaline 21.4.1 version for my laptop which was creating problems in Fullscreen games so according to Microsoft forums I downgraded and everything was fine until I found that my settings now never opened even the search keeps on...
  9. how to stop computer so can read error message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to stop computer so can read error message: When restarting the computer, I've noticed an error message but before I can read it, it completely restarts. Is there a way for me to stop the restart so I can get the error message?...
  10. so many error messages after the new update! please help!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    so many error messages after the new update! please help!!!: i don’t even know where to start as far as error messages go but all i know is that yesterday while i was on my dell XPS one 2710, i was prompted a message that it was in need of an update. naturally i agreed bc in my experience updates are supposed to help your computer...