Windows 10: So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can

Discus and support So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi - I really really hope somebody can help My monitor died the other day and I replaced it with a very old square monitor until the new one arrived... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Squibbler, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Squibbler Win User

So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can

Hi - I really really hope somebody can help

My monitor died the other day and I replaced it with a very old square monitor until the new one arrived (today)
    I noticed that the Windows key had stopped working and the windows icon no longer opened the start menu but assumed it was just the old monitor. However, the new monitor is the same.

I tried to open a microsoft mouse and keyboard update but it presented me with an error message so I decided I would try and update the drivers in device manager.That is when I discovered that I can no longer get into device manager, nor most of the control panel icons. I am getting an error saying

"this file does not have a program associated with it" .

I cannot even get to Backup and rescue or Recovery or system as they all give the same error message, so I cannot do a system restore.

Once in a while, I use system mechanic - I know it updated the other day, but I have not run it since. I tried to run it just now in case that might sort this out and even that will not run. Instead, I am getting

" a device attached to this system is not functioning".

If I try and run things from right clicking "Run" , I get explorer.exe error messages. So THREE error messages all of a sudden!

I have no idea what has happened or what to do

Any help greatly appreciated!

Internet, email and Office programs work fine. I have Bitdefender which seems to be working fine. Firefox is getting update errors. Everything was working fine until last week when my monitor died.

:)

Squibbler, Apr 19, 2017
  2. Alex Domb Win User

Please help if you can - is there a way to transfer your text message history from a Kin oneM phone to your computer?

thats too bad. thank you for helping, though

Alex Domb, Apr 19, 2017
  3. Please help if you can - is there a way to transfer your text message history from a Kin oneM phone to your computer?

Hello. Sorry but there is no way to do that. The KIN Studio service was supposed to do that but that service was shutdown long ago. Some people have resorted to taking a
    screenshot
    and emailing it back to themselves for the most important ones.

Resourceful, Apr 19, 2017
  4. iDamn Win User

woah that's a lot of errors you're experiencing there. what version of windows 10 are you running specifically?

i wouldn't bother wasting my time finding solution if i were you. if system restore could not help then the option is becoming narrower and lesser.

i would however recommend you to reset your PC, and choose "Keep my files" selection, if you're open to it. would be simple enough instead of bothering yourself day and night finding a solution. your files will be there, and high possibility that your troublesome error would wave farewell aswell. that is if you want.

im suggesting this because i tried fixing my start menu button + taskbar which was not clicking for me, for 2-3 days and ended up with blue screen of death. system restore failed, startup fix failed and i was so pissed i just reset and slept. i woke up and windows was working like i wanted it to work in the first place.

good luck. other tech savvy would probably assist you in a more appropriate manner.

iDamn, Apr 19, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    I would get the creators update and update the system you keep all your files and software and it gives you the latest Windows as well

Samuria, Apr 19, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    Do you have external devices connected to the system besides monitor/mouse/keyboard? If so, disconnect them for now.
    Can you get into Control Panel? If so, go to Power Options, and select Choose what the power buttons do, then select Change settings that are currently unavailable, and turn Fast Startup OFF.
    Shut the system down, start it up (not a reboot).

Download Kyhi's custom rescue media and save it to a flash drive; boot the system to the flash drive.
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - - Windows 10 Forums
    There is a collection of software on this media. Find HDTune and run it to check the health of your OS drive.
    If you can't find HDTune, then run Speccy to check the SMART health of the OS drive.
    Open File Explorer and run chkdsk on the OS drive.
    While you're in there, copy all your important data over to a backup drive for safety, if you haven't already.

Just to be sure your system doesn't have anything "lurking" on it, you could also run Malwarebytes (yes, that's in there too).

If everything checks out and no problems are found:
    Boot back into your normal operating system.
    Download the latest MS ISO for the Creators Update, and save the ISO to your desktop.
    (Make sure you download the same as what is currently on the system.)
    Download Windows 10 ISO File - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Once downloaded, right-click and select Mount. This will assign it a drive letter and you will be able to see the files inside the ISO.
    Double-click setup.exe to perform an in-place repair install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Don't skip any steps. We need to be sure your drive and filesystem are in good shape before continuing.
    Any questions, please ask.

simrick, Apr 19, 2017
  7. Squibbler Win User
    Thanks so much guys. Thinking about this, when my monitor died I had to do a couple of hard shut downs as I could not see the screen anymore and I am thinking they probably corrupted my system in places. Because it all started when I plugged in my ancient monitor.

So I will look into the above like you suggest. First I will need to backup my email directory and other files and that will take me a few days to find time to do properly.

No I cannot open any of the icons in control panel - I get those error messages.

I wondered if it is possible to do a system restore by interrupting bootup? I have some vague recollection that this was possible pre Win 10?

Many thanks

Squibbler, Apr 20, 2017
  8. Squibbler Win User

Ok I did manage to search for settings and managed to get system restore to run from there, but I have tried all the available restore points and after going through the usual wait process, it is giving me an error message " unspecified error" each time. I just turned bitdefender off Tried with that off. Same issue.
    I will need to follow some of your suggestions above, although I can't get into most icons on ctl panel including power shell. I suspect there may be other ways of getting to them as I did with system restore through settings?

Squibbler, Apr 20, 2017
  9. Squibbler Win User
    One option it gives me is to "reset" windows. Is this a good idea to try? It says it keeps my data files but the following will be deleted:
    So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can [​IMG]
    Some of these are obviously easy to reinstall - Google earth, fitbit, Adblock etc ...and I need to make sure I have noted the reinstallation keys like for Photoshop elements, before I proceed, but it also includes things like Dell files. My computer is a DELL, but I am well out of warranty - it is a 7 year old machine. Do I actually need these files? What about the others? I have no idea what they are like Glance 2.9 and those Cisco files - what are they?

Squibbler, Apr 20, 2017
  10. Squibbler Win User
    Squibbler, Apr 20, 2017
  11. simrick Win User
    Squibbler,
    Please see my post #4. I asked you to boot into Kyhi's custom recovery media, and check the health of your hard drive. Anything else you try will fail if the drive is in bad shape.
    The next thing would be to run CHKDSK on the OS drive while still in that environment.
    I think it would be best if you follow my instructions instead of the other things you are doing.
    The in-place repair install I am suggesting will repair your system without losing your programs and data, and avoid a clean install or reset.

simrick, Apr 20, 2017
  12. Squibbler Win User
    Thanks simrick, I did read your post but fell at the first hurdle as I cannot access ctl panel which was your first step. You said not to leave out steps, so I was struggling.
    I can back up my computer and try and follow the other steps if they are still viable without the first one?

Squibbler, Apr 20, 2017
  13. Squibbler Win User

There are 3 downloads on that link... Do I download the x64 or x86 version or the Modify Winpese download? Thanks

Squibbler, Apr 20, 2017
  14. Squibbler Win User
    I just searched Power Options via search/cortana as an alternative route (the way I got into settings to try the restore) and I found it but am getting the "this file does not have a program associated with it" error message. I could try running it from the directory directly if you know which one it sits in?

Squibbler, Apr 20, 2017
  15. simrick Win User
    Yes, booting to Kyhi's rescue media is next step. The Fast Startup is not mandatory, but you'll want to do that eventually, when we get you running properly.
    If you have a 64-bit machine, you'd download that one. If not sure, download the 32-bit one.
    Don't worry about it for now - we'll get that done later; it's not so important.

simrick, Apr 20, 2017
Thema:

1. So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can - Similar Threads - many problems Error

2. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?: I tried the system restore point but it was interrupted saying there was a disk read error. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem. Whenever I press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys to restart as instructed, I only hear beeps and it doesn't restart. Please can...
  3. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?: I tried the system restore point but it was interrupted saying there was a disk read error. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem. Whenever I press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys to restart as instructed, I only hear beeps and it doesn't restart. Please can...
  4. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. So I have many problems please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So I have many problems please help: Okay, so I have bsod critical process died BUT I forgot my password and here’s the thing, when I last reset my pc it told me to create a pin NOTHING ABOUT A PASSWORD am I able to fix this problem?Also if this can do anything I have a usbThat’s all...
  6. So I have many problems please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    So I have many problems please help: Okay, so I have bsod critical process died BUT I forgot my password and here’s the thing, when I last reset my pc it told me to create a pin NOTHING ABOUT A PASSWORD am I able to fix this problem?Also if this can do anything I have a usbThat’s all...
  7. So I have many problems please help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. So many errors at once please help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    So many errors at once please help: So lemme start from first like I was using adrenaline 21.4.1 version for my laptop which was creating problems in Fullscreen games so according to Microsoft forums I downgraded and everything was fine until I found that my settings now never opened even the search keeps on...
  9. how to stop computer so can read error message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to stop computer so can read error message: When restarting the computer, I've noticed an error message but before I can read it, it completely restarts. Is there a way for me to stop the restart so I can get the error message?...
  10. so many error messages after the new update! please help!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    so many error messages after the new update! please help!!!: i don’t even know where to start as far as error messages go but all i know is that yesterday while i was on my dell XPS one 2710, i was prompted a message that it was in need of an update. naturally i agreed bc in my experience updates are supposed to help your computer...