Windows 10: So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can

Discus and support So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Squibbler. I'm glad you were able to get your RAID settings back! Just curious how/what you are backing up (i.e. using Marcium Reflect to back up to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Squibbler, Apr 19, 2017.

1. So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can

Hi Squibbler. I'm glad you were able to get your RAID settings back! Just curious how/what you are backing up (i.e. using Marcium Reflect to back up to an external HDD?). Am also curious as to how many drives you have in the PC (if you mentioned this in a previous post i missed it). Typically you need a min. of 2 to do RAID. If you are doing RAID on a single drive, even if this has been working, it isn't a good idea. For Raid on a single drive you typically need 2 partitions, so you are basically giving up 1/2 your drive and taking a performance hit as well. Aaron

abenavraham, Apr 22, 2017
  2. Squibbler Win User

Hi abenavraham. I have two x 750GB drives... set up as RAID 0 by DELL...i have no idea why they did it like this. I had a java virus 4 years ago and had to wipe everything, redo the drives and start again. I was aware a little of the risk with RAID 0 after reading about it at the time but figured there was a reason for DELL doing it this way and as was anxious to get everything running again stuck to it.. mistake! (I think I had a system image from when it was virus clean and so worried it wouldnt work on a different hard disk setup).
    RE backups - I have an old fashioned method - plug in external drives and copy across! I dont have a vast amount of new data each week and so got lazy. I need to be more diligent. I have been good with photos.. they have a backup drive to themselves, but not been good with backing up my PST file or recent genealogy documents. I don't want to pay high storage fees in the cloud or need expensive software for my small amounts, but I need to make sure I do it regularly.

Squibbler, Apr 22, 2017
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    @Squibbler That will get your data backed up for now, but, your photos and docs and such are not the only thing that seriously need backing up. The system, the OS itself and all supporting files need a good backup. There is no more highly recommended FREE software than Macrium Reflect. Most highly recommended on this forum and elsewhere. @abenavraham is hinting at it...take his advice and download it and use it. Help with it (it's easy) is everywhere on this forum. Here's the link. ........... TC

Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software

f14tomcat, Apr 22, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can

TC, thanks so much for your help! I can't rep you (gotta spread the love around), but you sure deserve it! Thanks! *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 22, 2017
  5. simrick Win User
    @Squibbler
    TC is right - a complete backup should be made including the OS, so you image all the partitions to the external drive.
    Once that is done, we could try the in-place repair to get things running smooth again.

simrick, Apr 22, 2017
  6. Squibbler Win User
    Is the operating sytem worth backing up right now if it is so screwed up though?

Squibbler, Apr 22, 2017
  7. Squibbler Win User
    I did make an image of the computer after I moved to win 7 years ago when it was running nicely and nice and clean.. not made one since. I should have done so when I moved to win 10, I know ...will certainly look at the software if free, but meanwhile... should I not wait if it is all so screwed up? I don't want to make an image of screwed up files surely?

Squibbler, Apr 22, 2017
  8. So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can

"Is the operating sytem worth backing up right now if it is so screwed up though?"

Possibly

We still need to figure out the health of your drives. What Raid Controller is installed? When you boot is there any option to bring up the controller/array menu to determine the health of the drives?

Can you bring up a command prompt when the system is booted? If not press and hold the "Shift" key while clicking on restart. This will allow you to boot into a trouble shooting mode where you can bring up a command prompt and run scan disk from there.

If scandisk finds any bad sectors then you will need to replace the drive(s)

9. f14tomcat Win User
    Don't mean to sidetrack your questions and your direction. But if the system boots up now and is at least usable enough to try to fix, a complete image is in order. If nothing else, it's a base that can be restored if further "surgery" is attempted, and goes sour. It's a known point. Takes 15 minutes, max 30. One benefit of Macrium is the ability to have multiple images, so it's not either now or later, it can be both, and ongoing. Food for thought.

f14tomcat, Apr 22, 2017
  10. If you image the system as it currently is, you will at least have access to all the data on the drive if you you end up wiping and/or replacing bad drive(s). After applying the image to the now wiped or replaced drive(s), at that point I would try doing an in place upgrade with Creators update from and ISO (either booting from a Flash drive or DVD. This might fix the issues, and leave the existing programs in place that you no longer have disk/license info about. Worth a shot. Obviously this may not work...

11. essenbe Win User
    During boot up, after post and before loading windows holding the shift key +I key will probably bring up the Raid Configuration options. I'm not sure why you would need to though, you know your 2 hard drives are in Raid 0.

You do not need expensive cloud storage. Just a couple of external hard drives. I image to 3 different external drives. A different one each time. I image about twice a week. That allows me to go back to most any point in time in case of a virus or any other problem. Plus consider, it is not a question of if a hard drive dies, it is a question of when it will die. They all do eventually.

essenbe, Apr 22, 2017
  12. The RAID controller menu, whether it is from accessing one a boot time, or a utility app once the system is up and running can tell you about the health of the drive(s).

13. Squibbler Win User

Ok some good advice here... I am nearly done with basic backups of the files that I feared to lose ... I have a separate brand new external drive that I can try and do an image on... not sure how much space it will need and this drive has previous backups and images on already ...will attempt that tomorrow as getting late here ...however, I wonder if Macrium will struggle to load on my desktop since the other file associations errors were coming up for those other programs? Would loading it onto desktop be the best place or in its own directory?

Squibbler, Apr 23, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    Would it be possible to post a screenshot of your Disk Management display?

f14tomcat, Apr 23, 2017
  15. simrick Win User
    TC, his OS is messed up, and the only way to try a Macrium image would be to boot to a Macrium stick, or Kyhi's media (which has Macrium on it). The ultimate intent is to perform an in-place repair install to get his OS working properly again.

We were going to boot to Kyhi's media, determine HDD health, perform CHKDSK and then backup.

simrick, Apr 23, 2017
Thema:

1. So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can - Similar Threads - many problems Error

2. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?: I tried the system restore point but it was interrupted saying there was a disk read error. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem. Whenever I press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys to restart as instructed, I only hear beeps and it doesn't restart. Please can...
  3. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?: I tried the system restore point but it was interrupted saying there was a disk read error. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem. Whenever I press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys to restart as instructed, I only hear beeps and it doesn't restart. Please can...
  4. Please can someone help me with the disk read error problem?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. So I have many problems please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So I have many problems please help: Okay, so I have bsod critical process died BUT I forgot my password and here’s the thing, when I last reset my pc it told me to create a pin NOTHING ABOUT A PASSWORD am I able to fix this problem?Also if this can do anything I have a usbThat’s all...
  6. So I have many problems please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    So I have many problems please help: Okay, so I have bsod critical process died BUT I forgot my password and here’s the thing, when I last reset my pc it told me to create a pin NOTHING ABOUT A PASSWORD am I able to fix this problem?Also if this can do anything I have a usbThat’s all...
  7. So I have many problems please help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. So many errors at once please help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    So many errors at once please help: So lemme start from first like I was using adrenaline 21.4.1 version for my laptop which was creating problems in Fullscreen games so according to Microsoft forums I downgraded and everything was fine until I found that my settings now never opened even the search keeps on...
  9. how to stop computer so can read error message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to stop computer so can read error message: When restarting the computer, I've noticed an error message but before I can read it, it completely restarts. Is there a way for me to stop the restart so I can get the error message?...
  10. so many error messages after the new update! please help!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    so many error messages after the new update! please help!!!: i don’t even know where to start as far as error messages go but all i know is that yesterday while i was on my dell XPS one 2710, i was prompted a message that it was in need of an update. naturally i agreed bc in my experience updates are supposed to help your computer...