Windows 10: So many problems with my laptop!

Discus and support So many problems with my laptop! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I am having issues with my laptop which is an HP Stream. I had it bought for me as a Christmas present back in 2016. Windows 10 is the operating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jo852225, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Jo852225 Win User

So many problems with my laptop!

Hi

I am having issues with my laptop which is an HP Stream. I had it bought for me as a Christmas present back in 2016. Windows 10 is the operating system on it.

So a few issues have developed on it over the past few months. I have listed them below:

Keyboard unexpectedly going to caps even when the caps lock is not illuminated and I am not pressing the shift key

Program icons disappearing from the bottom Start bar when I save images but this sometimes happens without warning. The icons sometimes reappear and sometimes don't ever reappear until I restart the laptop

Wallpaper from the desktop disappearing and turning pitch black prompting me to reselect it from settings

Cursor disappearing from text fields when inputting text - this only happens when using a search engine facility or text search box online

Cursor appearing at the start of a string of text unexpectedly - this only happens when using a search engine facility or text search box online

Characters being put at the start of a string of text when typing - this only happens when using a search engine facility or text search box online

Characters not appearing in text box when typing - this only happens when using a search engine facility or text search box online

Program windows force closing - this came to a head tonight where I had closed the laptop shut for a few minutes with 3 programs running. It took a long time for the laptop to accept my sign-in and the mouse pointer was not visible despite me moving it about. When I logged back in eventually, all 3 programs disappeared and all the notifications I received from Windows earlier in the day reappeared. I only get the notifications once but I have been getting a lot of them

The notifications I keep getting - "can't install updates" - I get about 3 of these notifications per day. Not saying the same thing word for word but on the same theme of being unable to install updates. I get a colour-filled screen saying how as of such and such a date my laptop will not receive important updates and there are links saying "I need help", "download updates" or "not at the moment". Sometimes when I click on the "not at the moment" link it is not very responsive and I am clicking the link about 3 or 4 times for the screen to go away and about a minute or 2 goes by before a window or even 4 of them pop up in Microsoft Edge.

I cannot install updates on the laptop using the recommendation set out suggesting to free up space on my laptop because the updates require a 16GB of space which my laptop does not have anywhere near even without my files or the programs I installed personally. As well as that, I am in possession of a USB stick which only has 4GB of space and that is being used as a storage device for my files since I am running short of space on the laptop with the capacity it has.

I have put this under "install and upgrade" as I am unsure if all of the above problems are Windows update related but it could be the recurring theme in all this; if the problems are all update related, would I need to invest in another laptop or are there any other ways I can get the laptop to install 16GB worth of updates?

Thank you

:)

Jo852225, Sep 14, 2018
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Sep 14, 2018
  3. Volatile Win User
    Laptop Bluetooth Problems D:

Hello El Mayo just a few questions about your problem,
    What type of Cell Phone and Laptop are you using and what sort of steps have you already attempted to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Volatile, Sep 14, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Sep 14, 2018
Thema:

1. So many problems with my laptop! - Similar Threads - many problems laptop

2. New Laptop- Many Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Laptop- Many Problems: I had my old ASUS laptop finally kick the bucket- the insides still work amazing but the screen is splitting down the middle and there is no fix for the model. I have been to Best Buy for a new laptop 3 times now. My budget was $1000-$1600. I'm a college student. I need a...
  3. New Laptop- Many Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Laptop- Many Problems: I had my old ASUS laptop finally kick the bucket- the insides still work amazing but the screen is splitting down the middle and there is no fix for the model. I have been to Best Buy for a new laptop 3 times now. My budget was $1000-$1600. I'm a college student. I need a...
  4. So many problems with new computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    So many problems with new computer: I bought a new HP desktop one week ago. From the moment I turned it on for the first time it's been one problem after another. Every once in awhile I can stream a video, but for the most part I get the loading icon spinning around and around and nothing happens. The audio...
  5. So many problems with my Lenovo machine.

in Windows 10 Support
    So many problems with my Lenovo machine.: Their customer support is literally terrible. Also, I am now out of warranty (not that they ever helped me when I was in warranty and asked them for help). I hope that there are polite people on here who will be able to be of assistance to myself: 1. Sometimes, when I...
  6. My windows 10 has so many problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    My windows 10 has so many problems: So I have made some research about my problems, Some fixed it. So I tried making another profile and it really fixed some of the problems. But all my data will be gone except the documents pictures downloads and desktop, and I dont like losing my gamedata saved in APPDATA...
  7. Microsoft Rewards Has So Many Problems!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Rewards Has So Many Problems!: Microsoft Rewards...a great incentive...that is, when it works! Why are the so many buggy issues on this page? I've had 2 simultaneous issues lately. The most annoying is the Rewards Monthly Quest incentive. In January, I completed all punch card requirements, including the...
  8. So. Many. errors.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    So. Many. errors.: alright. I built a computer recently (using windows so assume this is where to post) and i have oh so many errors. Ill list these out. Tell me if there's anything in common but the only common thing i can find is driver issues and well ive been going through all of my...
  9. So Many Desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    So Many Desktops: This pc is just a shortcut to the main uers folder and not another desktop.
  10. So many problems

in Windows 10 Support
    So many problems: I've had nothing but issues with my laptop since upgrading. 1) minor but annoying thing my right click on my keypad also mouse cause the screen to go temporarily black and then it shuts down what ever you were right clicking on. 2) I can't install any new software it...