Windows 10: So many services_

Discus and support So many services_ in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, my pc is full of sevices. It is perhaps ok to have so many sevices for free, but is it really necessary? The default security settings was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hofkar, Nov 17, 2015.

1. hofkar Win User

So many services_

Hello, my pc is full of sevices. It is perhaps ok to have so many sevices
    for free, but is it really necessary? The default security settings was
    kind of low when stating up my new pc, is all services calling themselves
    Microsoft really Microsoft? How to find out which ones to stop, enable or
    eraise? Are all this services slowing down the computer? Is the war out there
    also in here?
    *really

:)

hofkar, Nov 17, 2015

2. So many bugs

If this was an upgrade it could be worthwhile to do a fresh install of Windows 10.

If it came with Windows 10 have you tried a reset?

With either option, be sure to backup docs first.

IJustHelping, Nov 17, 2015
  3. So many errors...

So I've been looking for answers to my problem(s) through questions other people have asked and still haven't found anything that really resolves the problem(s).

I bought a new motherboard (along with many other things for my computer) which made my copy of windows not genuine (windows 7). So when windows 10 came out (officially) I bought it and upgraded to it with little error at first. But that same day then it bluescreened
    with an error I failed to see at the time cause I was away from my computer. I shrugged it off for a while and it blue screened again with the error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, but then after that it was fine again for quite a while. Every once in a while
    it would blue screen though and I would look for answers to why and not find anything that really related to what I was doing or solutions that fixed the problem. Then I saw that someone removed on of their memory cards and reinstalled windows and it seemed
    to help. So I removed one of my memory cards and that seemed to fix it temporarily without even needing to reinstall windows. I did end up reinstalling windows and then trying to use my second memory card as well and there were still issues. I ran memtest
    and it came back with the result of my memory cards working perfectly. So I resigned to just using one card blaming it on a win10 bug, but then after a while my computer started using up all 8 gbs of my remaining memory card for "system" and I couldn't find
    out exactly what was causing it. Task manager just said "system" was using 7.6 gbs of memory space. So finally I decided to do a full clean install of windows 10 to try and fix it. Backed up my files on an external and used my win10 USB drive to do a clean
    install. Every time I went through to install though it would give me some error during installation and blue screen. But since I couldn't boot from that drive anymore (or recover my files to it since windows would put me in a loop of "boot from drive" *boots
    from drive* "boot from win10 boot device" and repeat) I decided to upgrade and get an SSD since I wanted one anyway. I just installed that and am trying to install windows onto it and it keeps giving me an error of

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt of missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart installation. Error code: 0x80070570".

Figuring it was probably something wrong with my usb drive, I downloaded and installed a windows 10 iso onto a disc and tried installing windows with that but every time I try to install it blue screens sometime before 10% of "Getting files ready for installation"
    (it has gone longer, but usually before 10%). Here are bluescreen errors that I am receiving. They seem to cycle through and not really rest on one in particular.

BSODS received:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA with sometime (Ntfs.sys) added at the end

SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

There were other other blue screens as well earlier on but I can't remember them and they were never really settled on. These are essentially the main ones it seems. Chkdsk won't work because the "volume... is write protected", sfc scannow won't work because
    there is a "repair pending".

I know this is kind of a long shot (and a really long post), but if anyone knows anything or can help I would really appreciate it. I'm really at my wits' end and don't know what to do at this point...

My computer specs:

MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard

Intel i7 4790k Processor@4.4 Ghz

MSI GTX 970 Graphics Card

Corsair Vengeance 8gb (x2) RAM

Corsair CX750M Power Supply Unit

Seagate 4tb SSHD

Samsung 850 Evo 1tb SSD

Hank Katla, Nov 17, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

So many services_

If they were not important, they would not be there. If you look around you'll see that many are activated "Manual, triggered by..." only and many run just at startup. If you want to, you can check dependencies of each one and than decide if you want them running or not just don't be surprised if anything goes wrong.
    If you look in Task manager you can see which processes take resources and how much.

CountMike, Nov 17, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I don't think that is 100% true. There are a lot of apps installed by default that are not important.

An example of Windows 10 Pro services is the Remote Desktop Server. If the user never plans on logging into his/her computer remotely, then the RDS service would not be important (I think.), but it runs automatically.

But I haven't went through and messed with services - it runs just fine the way it is, for me.

NavyLCDR, Nov 17, 2015
  6. swarfega Win User
    Remember some of them will be set to manual so that they only run when required. Some are actually disabled by default. So the fact you have a huge list doesn't mean they're all running.

If you go to services.msc you can see a nice list of all the Windows services.

swarfega, Nov 17, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    Indubitably there would be some that some people don't need but that's up to them/us to decide if needed or not because MS can't know what that is exactly. Like everything else it's a bit of compromise.

CountMike, Nov 17, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

So many services_

And most of the services when not being actively used by a process aren't taking up hardly any resources anyway, just because they are "started".

NavyLCDR, Nov 17, 2015
  9. CountMike New Member
    That's true too ! I don't think I would be able to see difference even if all were turned off. Maybe because windows wouldn't run without them lol.

CountMike, Nov 17, 2015
  10. Trial and error, no other way, since MS does not share any info. Some are just crazy, like:

DHCP Client is required by Windows Updates since 8.1, for whatever reason.
    IP Helper is required to login to Microsoft Account (Cortana, Store, User).
    Distributed Link Tracking Client is needed to open system shortcuts.
    Windows Firewall has to be running, so you could use Store Apps.

Services are a small part really, there are also many Windows Tasks running, some logging and other.

You can check my disabled services in Windows Services section: [Batch] Windows 10 - Pastebin.com

TairikuOkami, Nov 17, 2015
  11. LMiller7 Win User
    You might have many services "running" but that is very misleading. Services spend the large majority of their time waiting for something to do, during which time they consume zero CPU time. Memory management in any modern OS is highly dynamic so the memory consumed by an inactive service will be very low. Memory usage of all services together will not be even a minor issue unless you are desperately short on memory. With 4 GB RAM that is highly unlikely to happen very often, probably never.

The problem with disabling services is that you can't be certain what each one does. All available documentation is incomplete and many services do more than is documented. I have had bad experiences with disabling services and have no wish to repeat them.

LMiller7, Nov 17, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    Take into account also that on 10586 there is memory compacting where unused memory is compacted so resident stuff use even less of "live" memory.
    All together, it's not XP all over again running on much less capable computers. A lot of that misleading stuff comes from those times but times have changed. Similar thinking is still prevailing with new generation SSDs and is becoming more of urban myth than reality.

CountMike, Nov 17, 2015
  13. topgundcp Win User

So many services_

Here's a good place for reference and will show you the whole list of services with their descriptions/default settings and also suggest if the services can be safely disabled:
    Black Vipers Windows 10 Service Configurations » Black Viper | www.blackviper.com

This is something that depends on how you want to setup your PC. Services that you don't need can be disabled. For example: I don't use Homegroup Network, Remote Desktop, Send report to MS, offline, Windows Search etc... so I just disable them.

In addtition, Third party software often install their services and set them to: Automatic, You can safely set them to Manual.

topgundcp, Nov 17, 2015
  14. hofkar Win User
    Thanks, about what to be expected.

hofkar, Nov 18, 2015
  15. hofkar Win User
    Thanks alot, very useful info intel.

hofkar, Nov 18, 2015
Thema:

So many services_

1. So many services_ - Similar Threads - many services_

2. PIN Entered Incorrectly Too Many Times

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PIN Entered Incorrectly Too Many Times: My friend was at my house a couple days ago and entered random PINs many times. Now when I try to sign in it makes me enter A1B2C3 and then I can enter my PIN, but even when it is entered correctly, it comes up with the screen saying that it has been entered incorrectly too...
  3. PIN Entered Incorrectly Too Many Times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PIN Entered Incorrectly Too Many Times: My friend was at my house a couple days ago and entered random PINs many times. Now when I try to sign in it makes me enter A1B2C3 and then I can enter my PIN, but even when it is entered correctly, it comes up with the screen saying that it has been entered incorrectly too...
  4. PIN Entered Incorrectly Too Many Times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My wifi icon is not visible and it was happened many times in the day so I have to restart...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My wifi icon is not visible and it was happened many times in the day so I have to restart...: I am facing wifi problem in my laptop I am using window 11 this problem is start in few days ago and it was happen any time when I was working and study is wifi icon is is not visible and the connection is gone and it will recover when I have to restart my laptop so I want a...
  6. My wifi icon is not visible and it was happened many times in the day so I have to restart...

My wifi icon is not visible and it was happened many times in the day so I have to restart...: I am facing wifi problem in my laptop I am using window 11 this problem is start in few days ago and it was happen any time when I was working and study is wifi icon is is not visible and the connection is gone and it will recover when I have to restart my laptop so I want a...
  7. The PC gives many BSODs i dont have a clue whats wrong with it..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The PC gives many BSODs i dont have a clue whats wrong with it..: Hi guys, i have a powerfull ASUS gaming notebook, that i use for different tasks.. Last few months it is hanging up and giving me a lot of BSODs. I dont know what is happening. I tried to reset it to factory settings factory reset-recovery using MyASUS software i updated all...
  8. The PC gives many BSODs i dont have a clue whats wrong with it..

The PC gives many BSODs i dont have a clue whats wrong with it..: Hi guys, i have a powerfull ASUS gaming notebook, that i use for different tasks.. Last few months it is hanging up and giving me a lot of BSODs. I dont know what is happening. I tried to reset it to factory settings factory reset-recovery using MyASUS software i updated all...
  9. I cannot access photos via one drive. I receive errors stating too many attempts have been...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot access photos via one drive. I receive errors stating too many attempts have been...: I cannot access photos via one drive. I receive errors stating too many attempts have been made. When in fact I have not done so. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-access-photos-via-one-drive-i-receive/b192dfa6-ca7c-404c-b4e2-88acb50f842f
  10. I cannot access photos via one drive. I receive errors stating too many attempts have been...

I cannot access photos via one drive. I receive errors stating too many attempts have been...: I cannot access photos via one drive. I receive errors stating too many attempts have been made. When in fact I have not done so. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-access-photos-via-one-drive-i-receive/b192dfa6-ca7c-404c-b4e2-88acb50f842f