Windows 10: So, my ctrl key only turns on and off caps lock. How do I return this to normal?

Discus and support So, my ctrl key only turns on and off caps lock. How do I return this to normal? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I think it might be an easy fix, but I can't seem to find any problems similar to mine. This really hinders most of the work I do on my computer since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GriffinC, Nov 17, 2020.

1. GriffinC Win User

So, my ctrl key only turns on and off caps lock. How do I return this to normal?

I think it might be an easy fix, but I can't seem to find any problems similar to mine. This really hinders most of the work I do on my computer since I use a lot of programs that are prone to crashing and need to use ctrl + alt + delete to escape from them. Does anyone know how to unbind ctrl from caps lock?

:)

GriffinC, Nov 17, 2020
  2. MiSt77 Win User

Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

Actually, I get asked this quite a lot

There is, however, a very good reason to prefer this (old) „Typewriter Caps lock“-behavior over the new default, and it's simply this: if „Press the SHIFT key“ (instead of „Press the CAPS LOCK key“) is selected, then the behavior of „Caps lock“ changes from being a „toggle key“ to being a key that can only be used to turn „Caps lock“ on – to turn „Caps lock“ off, one has to press (either) one of the Shift keys.

This can be advantageous for touch typists, who are used to writing long passages of text without looking at the keyboard, and especially so if they're (C/C++) programmers, who may still regularly find themselves typing in variable names of CONSTANTS_IN_UPPERCASE.

That's because, if Caps lock is not a toggle key, it's not necessary to keep track of its current „toggle state“ in your head:

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be on, I can press CAPS as often as I like. If it happened to be enabled already, nothing changes; otherwise, I can be sure it's enabled afterwards.

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be off, I can simply press SHIFT
    This sounds like a hypothetical advantage, but it's not. I work as a programmer, and I often find myself typing in code like the following:

/* Some debugging code; will only be included in debug builds: */
    #if defined _DEBUG

Afterwards, I may pause a little, to think about the code line I would like to type in next. Now, if „Caps lock“ is a toggle key, I may (once I decide to continue) be unsure if I actually remembered to turn „Caps lock“ off at the end of ‘_DEBUG’.

Did I? Did I not? – The only way to be sure, is to look.

This is not so, if the „Press the SHIFT key“ behavior is enabled. If unsure, I can just press SHIFT once, be sure of the set state, and merrily continue may way.

That, for me, is the single most important reason to prefer the „Press the SHIFT key“ setting. Also, interestingly, this used to be the default behavior in the old days … at least, until Microsoft decided to ditch Windows 9x in favor of Windows NT¹.

¹ Actually, my memory could be wrong in this regard and I'm not completely sure … maybe someone more knowledgeable in those matters can confirm that the „Caps lock“ default behavior was indeed changed during the switch from Windows 9x to Windows XP?

MiSt77, Nov 17, 2020
  3. CAPS LOCK key remapped to Ctrl key

hey there, i accidentally remapped caps to ctrl key with 3rd party software and i cant turn it back for quite some time. When i type caps it tells me i press ctrl or LShift key.

Any help will be much appreciated

Preacher of Spencer, Nov 17, 2020
  4. So, my ctrl key only turns on and off caps lock. How do I return this to normal?

Caps lock only turns on/off when I use CTRL + CAPS LOCK.

Hello!

So the main issue is this:

I start up my PC (Corsair One Pro).

So before i got my new keyboard (G513) I had to press CTRL+ Caps lock in order to achieve the same function as CAPS LOCK itself should provide..

Initially, and I guess incorrectly, I assumed it was a keyboard issue. But as I got my new keyboard I realised it was not.

I've tried uninstalling my keyboard drivers, I've tried messing with some settings in Languages/Advanced Keyboard Options and nothing. This was the popular solution to another problem i believe elsewhere on the internet.

If I turn on the on-screen keyboard, press caps lock, I can see that the key is being registered. The virtual keyboard shows the caps lock key being turned on, my LED lights up informing me that I've turned it on, but it has no effect on text. Only when
    I press CTRL + CAPS LOCK does it work.

I'm at a loss. I have no idea what could be causing this and I am not too experienced with this sort of thing.

Please help..

Thanks!

R

Rafal Potasz, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

So, my ctrl key only turns on and off caps lock. How do I return this to normal?

1. So, my ctrl key only turns on and off caps lock. How do I return this to normal? - Similar Threads - ctrl key turns

2. How do I turn off Caps Lock Notification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I turn off Caps Lock Notification: Just got a new laptop and when I press caps lock a big lock appear on the top of my screen with the letter "a" in it, how can I stop this happening? I was told to delete the acer quick access app but it didnt seem to work...
  3. How do I turn off Caps Lock Notification

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I turn off Caps Lock Notification: Just got a new laptop and when I press caps lock a big lock appear on the top of my screen with the letter "a" in it, how can I stop this happening? I was told to delete the acer quick access app but it didnt seem to work...
  4. caps lock turned into ctrl

in Windows 10 Gaming
    caps lock turned into ctrl: I accidently changed my caps lock to ctrl and ctrl to caps lock.How can i return them to normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock-turned-into-ctrl/5d024535-03fd-42a8-9af9-e6833566adac
  5. caps lock turned into ctrl

caps lock turned into ctrl: I accidently changed my caps lock to ctrl and ctrl to caps lock.How can i return them to normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock-turned-into-ctrl/5d024535-03fd-42a8-9af9-e6833566adac
  6. caps lock turned into ctrl

7. How do I turn off my caps lock notification.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off my caps lock notification.: I've been having an issue hunting down a fix for this so I'm putting it here. Whenever I press either my caps lock, scroll lock, or my num lock key it will display a grey notification about the size of a computer mouse in the top middle of the screen. I haven't been able to...
  8. How do I turn off my caps lock notification.

How do I turn off my caps lock notification.: I've been having an issue hunting down a fix for this so I'm putting it here. Whenever I press either my caps lock, scroll lock, or my num lock key it will display a grey notification about the size of a computer mouse in the top middle of the screen. I haven't been able to...
  9. How do I turn off the Caps Lock Notification?

How do I turn off the Caps Lock Notification?: I just bought a new Dell with Windows 10 Pro. It has this annoying feature of popping up a caps lock notification no matter what program I'm using. I tried using these directions I found on how to turn it off, but I don't see a screen configuration tab at the end of these...
  10. My Caps Lock button only turns on or off when I press CTRL + Caps Lock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Caps Lock button only turns on or off when I press CTRL + Caps Lock: So this keeps happening every one in a while and a restart solves the problem. But it keeps coming back, and I dont remember doing this on purpose ( I didn't change any settings about this ). So when I press my Caps Lock key, the light either turns off or on, but the letters...