Windows 10: So tired of Windows explorer. Will it ever get "fixed"?

Discus and support So tired of Windows explorer. Will it ever get "fixed"? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This is getting beyond tiresome now. I like the direction Windows 10 is slowly going, but it seems as is tradition with Microsoft, it's always half... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/X_E_N, May 2, 2021.

1. /u/X_E_N Win User

So tired of Windows explorer. Will it ever get "fixed"?

This is getting beyond tiresome now.

I like the direction Windows 10 is slowly going, but it seems as is tradition with Microsoft, it's always half the work done. Never quite there, so close.

Windows explorer has been irritating me for years, I'm sure these issues have been present since Windows 7, hell maybe even XP I don't know. It's the same, tired old issues people complain about and which third party explorer alternatives were created for.

Why does explorer still decide to change a folders view just because a video/image file has been placed in there? I've set this folder as details view, why are you changing it? Speaking of videos, when I open a folder with videos inside (about 100), it just takes an age to load. I say age. On a very fast PC and being that we are in 2021, should I be expected to wait 10/20 seconds for a folder to display its contents?

I also love that when it changes the view, because IT thinks I want it to, it removes my custom columns. I always have data modified as a column. When it changes the view, it loses it. So again, more seconds of my life eaten away by configuring things I shouldn't have to.

I just don't get it. Seriously I don't. There is probably a good, valid, technical reason for all this. But I can't understand it. Why can't it fill a cache file up with all the thumbnails and data from a folder? I don't care how big it is, I got the room. But it acts like it retries it all again each time I open the folder.

More minor is the thumbnail size. I'm no longer using 1280x720 screens, so can I have a larger thumbnail preview for files please? Like double of what they are now. The rare times I've tried Linux, the one thing that always surprises me is just how fast and indeed powerful their explorer is. I remember in one distro, you could customize the window (add/remove columns, choose view type etc) and actually lock it down. You can set it as the default for ALL folders or just the one you are in. Heaven.

Each and every day I face this issue in some form but of course, I'm failing to appreciate the weather now in my taskbar, which I immediately disable.

I've always found the way Microsoft do things to be particularly odd. I could write a book on the problems with SharePoint alone, since that is the field I work in. This is also coming from a company who not only thought a full screen start menu was a good idea, but they released and charged for it. So confidence was shattered there.

The posts on here which always highlight the design inconsistencies are another example too.

If you're going to put ads on my pc, add useless widgets to the taskbar, shove cortana in my face or keep asking me to set bing as the search engine (You win, I'm using Edge, that enough?), at least get explorer, which is something I use daily, right. I don't care if it has a dark mode or if the icons are not polished enough, fix the view issues.

submitted by /u/X_E_N
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/X_E_N, May 2, 2021

2. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, May 2, 2021
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue So tired of Windows explorer. Will it ever get "fixed"? :p

Frick, May 2, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 2, 2021
Thema:

1. So tired of Windows explorer. Will it ever get "fixed"? - Similar Threads - tired explorer ever

2. I am so tired of Windows 11..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am so tired of Windows 11..: Hi, i have decieded to try Windows 11, i am very happy with the upgrade from Windows 10. BUT i have a question about the phone link stuff. I have a iphone, which means i need a computer with Bluetooth, which i do not have since its a desktop i have build myself. How do i...
  3. I am so tired of Windows 11..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am so tired of Windows 11..: Hi, i have decieded to try Windows 11, i am very happy with the upgrade from Windows 10. BUT i have a question about the phone link stuff. I have a iphone, which means i need a computer with Bluetooth, which i do not have since its a desktop i have build myself. How do i...
  4. Tired to trying to fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tired to trying to fix: I cant find solution, i dig in internet more than 3 days and all i need, tryed and works nothing, smitching on/off, changing permissions, nothing helped, there is a txt file with my Event Viewer logs from onle 1hour and there is only warnings and errors...
  5. Tired to trying to fix

Tired to trying to fix: I cant find solution, i dig in internet more than 3 days and all i need, tryed and works nothing, smitching on/off, changing permissions, nothing helped, there is a txt file with my Event Viewer logs from onle 1hour and there is only warnings and errors...
  6. Getting so tired of windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting so tired of windows: I'm pissed. I've declined windows 11 several times. I just turned on my computer and it upgraded to windows 11 anyways. Without my permission. Your article says, "not a big deal." Well, to me it is a big deal. Plus you know darn well that most of these updates are Microsoft...
  7. Getting so tired of windows

Getting so tired of windows: I'm pissed. I've declined windows 11 several times. I just turned on my computer and it upgraded to windows 11 anyways. Without my permission. Your article says, "not a big deal." Well, to me it is a big deal. Plus you know darn well that most of these updates are Microsoft...
  8. Help I'm so tired of this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help I'm so tired of this: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jojodapope [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kcgmq0/help_im_so_tired_of_this/
  9. Will the store ever get fixed?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Will the store ever get fixed?: I'm doing a 110gb download and i'm bored as hell because apparently i'm not allowed to do anything else while this is downloading. I keep trying different games both online and offline and basically as soon as i alt+tab into a game i come straight back out to an error...
  10. is the networking ever going to get fixed?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is the networking ever going to get fixed?: I am starting to believe that someone on here is not believing me when i say the windows networking does not work because of the responses i have gotten. There is nothing that can be done, it is broken. Why does no one believe me? I click on network, click my computer,...