Windows 10: Soft BSOD only at restart

Discus and support Soft BSOD only at restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I use Windows 10 Pro, version 1909 Build 18363.657. Attached V2 log collector zip file. Let me start out by saying that my main question is not how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by zvit, Mar 3, 2020.

1. zvit Win User

Soft BSOD only at restart

I use Windows 10 Pro, version 1909 Build 18363.657.
    Attached V2 log collector zip file.

Let me start out by saying that my main question is not how to fix my BSOD issue.

My main question is, is it possible that there is a certain part of the RAM or CPU (cache, ALU, CU, etc) that would only be utilized at runtime, at a computer boot, and not utilized again after boot? (For this reason, I am not including my entire system specs unless someone wants them)

I'll now explain my issue and you'll understand why I ask.

My computer is on 24\7. I usually reboot once a week just to clear up stuff.

During the week, I have no issues. The computer works like a horse. It handles multitasking like a pro. I am a professional graphic designer, video editor and software engineer programmer. The computer works with photoshop flawlessly while rendering 4K video. No freezes, no stuttering, no problems at all.

It's only when I restart the computer, will I get the BSOD at boot. The culprit will always be some generic file such as ntoskrnl.exe with a generic reason such as "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGES_AREA" or some other file\code that is non-specific and does not give much info to work with to figure out what caused the crash.

Usually, after the BSOD, the computer will restart a second time by itself just fine.
    Sometimes, the second reboot will also cause a BSOD and it will try to do the auto repair thing.
    The auto repair will not succeed and it will give me the "advanced mode" button.
    All I have to do is click on the advanced options but not choose any of them. I just choose "Continue to Windows" and it will then boot into Windows just fine and work great for another week... until I restart again.

My main dilemma was if it's a hardware issue, how does the computer work fine all week and the BSOD only happens at reboot. That's why it would make much sense if there was some part of the ram\cpu that is only utilized at boot. And even if there was, I can't understand why the computer boots fine on its own after going through 1-2 cycles of the BSOD. Also, if the solution is to simply skip something at boot (which is why "continue to windows" boots fine) then why can't Windows figure this out during the auto-repair attempt?

SOME FACTS:

1. Being a programmer, I am very computer savvy, so before you attempt to offer a solution to the BSOD, just know that if your solution is mentioned anywhere on the first 30 pages of a Google search, It's most likely that I've tried that already.
    2. I have tested and benchmarked my ram, cpu, gpu and other hardware components. drivers are fine, no malware, no bloatware. No electric current issues. No software issues or clashing dll's (I write registry entries and dll files for a living.)
    3. I started my first computer course when I was 12 (in 1985) and have had computers for the past 35 years and not once have I come across an issue that I couldn't solve... this is the first time that I am stumped.

IN CONCLUSION:

I would like to know if it's possible that a BSOD that occurs only at boot, can indicate that the culprit is something that is only triggered at boot, and if so, what can that be?

Thank you!

:)

zvit, Mar 3, 2020
  2. Arrakis9 Win User

Random restarts

when you start the computer up press F8 repeatedly until you get a list of how to start windows, choose do not automatically restart on system failure. if your getting bsod's list what your getting here so we can further help you. IF the system is not getting bsod's and still restarting as you say then i would look into getting a line conditioner for your computer as you might be having power issues.

Arrakis9, Mar 3, 2020
  3. alexsubri Win User
    BSOD- atikmpag.sys

This is most likely due to an installation/upgrade error with ATI driver's. I suggest doing DriveSweeper and the following:
    • Drivesweeper all drivers & in Safe Mode
    • Unistall all drivers that aren't used in DriveSweeper (CCC Profiler Updates, MSI AfterBurner, anything related to ATI that use's it's drivers.)
    • After you do this, the first thing you need to do is go into Device Manager and Unistall your ATI Drivers
    Soft BSOD only at restart [​IMG]

Once your done, restart the PC and then try installing the latest drivers.

I had several issues with this in the past, but I overcame it with logical reasoning and whenever I have a driver issue, I just use these steps and I always overcome the problem.

Best of luck! *Toast :toast:

alexsubri, Mar 3, 2020
  4. Binge Win User

Random Restarts, No BSOD

He mentioned that he had done that above. Also I provided a BSOD details app. There were no BSODs to report.

Binge, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Soft BSOD only at restart - Similar Threads - Soft BSOD restart

2. Computer Randomly restarts, no warnings soft restart, straight back to boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Randomly restarts, no warnings soft restart, straight back to boot up: Ever since a couple days ago, my computer has been randomly restarting. No warning is given, no error message, no blue screen, just blank screens then boots up again, I could be in the middle of anything and it happens. There is no set time, its happened as soon as I've gone...
  3. Computer Randomly restarts, no warnings soft restart, straight back to boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Randomly restarts, no warnings soft restart, straight back to boot up: Ever since a couple days ago, my computer has been randomly restarting. No warning is given, no error message, no blue screen, just blank screens then boots up again, I could be in the middle of anything and it happens. There is no set time, its happened as soon as I've gone...
  4. The Soft Power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Soft Power: I’m agreed with the decision https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-soft-power/89ac6c9d-ec94-4cfe-92da-00653be8e8ff
  5. The Soft Power

The Soft Power: I’m agreed with the decision https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-soft-power/89ac6c9d-ec94-4cfe-92da-00653be8e8ff
  6. BSOD only on restarts kmode_exception_not_handled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD only on restarts kmode_exception_not_handled: I have this fairly new computer I bought from Acer, the Swift X. It has always worked amazingly and was a great computer to use for both work and gaming. However, I recently started running into issues with restarting my computer. I wanted to play a game of Valorant, and its...
  7. BSOD only on restarts kmode_exception_not_handled

BSOD only on restarts kmode_exception_not_handled: I have this fairly new computer I bought from Acer, the Swift X. It has always worked amazingly and was a great computer to use for both work and gaming. However, I recently started running into issues with restarting my computer. I wanted to play a game of Valorant, and its...
  8. Memory Management BSOD, but only on Power > Restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory Management BSOD, but only on Power > Restart: I need professional help diagnosing and correcting a regular BSOD. For the past several months, I've been experiencing Memory Management BSOD errors, but only when restarting my Win 10 PC via Power > Restart approx. 90% of the time. I occasionally experience normal app...
  9. Several Bsods and Screen Freezing, Bsods restarting only half the time.

Several Bsods and Screen Freezing, Bsods restarting only half the time.: Hello, Recently i've been getting multiple BSODS usually once a day, with some execeptions. I analysed the minidumps with WinDbG preview, though they range from memory corruption to false video kernels. I've decided to leave it to the experts here to help me out. my two...
  10. Soft system restore on restarting Windows 10

Soft system restore on restarting Windows 10: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version: 10.0.19041 Build 19041 My PC basically soft-restores all its settings and contents upon restart, or maybe rather it does not save any changes to the PC upon shutting down. All my desktop icons, all programs, folders, return to...