Windows 10: Soft system restore on restarting Windows 10

Discus and support Soft system restore on restarting Windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version: 10.0.19041 Build 19041 My PC basically soft-restores all its settings and contents upon restart, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jacob Kos, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Jacob Kos Win User

Soft system restore on restarting Windows 10

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version: 10.0.19041 Build 19041

My PC basically soft-restores all its settings and contents upon restart, or maybe rather it does not save any changes to the PC upon shutting down.

All my desktop icons, all programs, folders, return to where they were, even after deleting them, all system settings are turned back, etc. Updating my graphics drivers does nothing, for example - the update is ready to download once again after restart.

I noticed this today after getting SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION bluescreen errors multiple times. I tried to pin-point the culprit to an issue with the Windows Search service, as seen in this screenshot:

Soft system restore on restarting Windows 10 4b3cc529-ce2c-445d-b66a-55a9ef94c0ff?upload=true.jpg

None of the other solutions found on the internet worked, so I tried to brute-force a solution by simply disabling the Windows Search service, via the service manager.

However, like everything else, it gets restored on system restart which is for now my biggest problem, possibly unrelated to the bluescreen system crashes that lead to its discovery which is still a semi-random issue.

The following attempts at fixing the problem have failed:

Running 'sfc /scannow' via the command prompt - it fixes corrupt files allegedly, but does so every time upon reboot I assume the fix also resets upon restart

Running 'DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth' and '... /RestoreHealth' - these seem to cause a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION bluescreen system crash.

Running the system in safe mode - the OS "forgets" that it's supposed to restart in safe mode as it "restores" its state before the reset once again. This locks me out of any possible solution that requires a PC restart.

I highly suspect that this is an issue with my RAM and new hardware is required. Still, if it's possible to solve this without buying new RAM sticks, I thought I'd try to find a solution to this extremely strange problem.

:)

Jacob Kos, Nov 1, 2020
  2. zvit Win User

Soft BSOD only at restart

I've tried this for a few days for testing purposes but it didn't solve the issue.
    If not for BSOD's, the custom ram setting is good.

Hd tune: Benchmark:

Soft system restore on restarting Windows 10 [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE:

Instead of updating the ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 driver I just uninstalled that player with IObit Uninstaller. I don't need the player anyway.

I will set virtual ram to auto for all drives just to do your complete list - for now.

I will leave the BIOS version for last. Previously (a few months ago), I had already reset the BIOS and cleared the CMOS.
    I also changed the battery to a new one - just to be thorough.

Things left to do:

1. HD Tune: Full Error Scan - all drives
    2. Run Sea Tools for Windows
    3. Downgrade BIOS version.

I will update after all is done.

I have 37TB of hard drives and another 20TB in a Synology server (which I won't test)
    So it will take time.

zvit, Nov 1, 2020
  3. Windows XP PRO error after restore

System restore is handy when it works like it did for me 2 days ago saving the need to reinstall all of my software as well as windows, id suggest using norton Ghost 12 for an excellent system restore feature.

jocksteeluk, Nov 1, 2020
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Soft system restore on restarting Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Soft system restore

2. System restore restarting to black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore restarting to black screen: A system restore was done, after my drivers disappeared, but after some time the screen went black with only the mouse pointer on screen. The PC was restarted, by pressing the on/off button for 10 seconds, whilst pressing F4 to get into Safe Mode, but the system returned to a...
  3. System restore restarting to black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restarting to black screen: A system restore was done, after my drivers disappeared, but after some time the screen went black with only the mouse pointer on screen. The PC was restarted, by pressing the on/off button for 10 seconds, whilst pressing F4 to get into Safe Mode, but the system returned to a...
  4. System restore restarting to black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 always restarts system restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 always restarts system restore: I have windows 10 with some problems and so search to repair folloqing procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, but after reinstall every time windows restart and go always in system restore. I try also to reset computer but after it at reboot come...
  6. Windows 10 always restarts system restore

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 always restarts system restore: I have windows 10 with some problems and so search to repair folloqing procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, but after reinstall every time windows restart and go always in system restore. I try also to reset computer but after it at reboot come...
  7. Random "soft" system crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random "soft" system crash: Hi everyone,My system has been randomly crashing for the last couple of months. An open app Chrome, Firefox, OBS, Skype will suddenly become laggy and then freeze entirely. This behaviour then begins to affect other apps, as well as Windows Taskbar, Task Manager, etc. The...
  8. Windows System Restores every restart =

Windows System Restores every restart =: Hi Guys, hopefully you can help me. This is the 5th scenario that I have to reinstall my windows. Problem: Whenever I restart my Laptop, Windows restores itself to a specific point. From what I notice, usually starts with a BSOD. After that point, it creates a "restore...
  9. Soft BSOD only at restart

Soft BSOD only at restart: I use Windows 10 Pro, version 1909 Build 18363.657. Attached V2 log collector zip file. Let me start out by saying that my main question is not how to fix my BSOD issue. My main question is, is it possible that there is a certain part of the RAM or CPU (cache, ALU, CU, etc)...
  10. Restarted during system restore point

Restarted during system restore point: i was doing system restore point but the power went off and i thing windows is corrupt i can’t go in safe mode but i can go to advanced option and stuff i iv’e tried everything in the advanced options and many command prompt command is there a way to recover the image...