Windows 10: Software crashing when using heavy apps

Discus and support Software crashing when using heavy apps in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hello everyone, I would like to show you what I've been going through these past few hours, of which I have no idea what's going on, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Dazzling_Community_8, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Software crashing when using heavy apps

Software crashing when using heavy apps ksbqPC3T_yjmag5Jp_JmxCMn7lJUrQPv0dMsvPr_omw.jpg

Hello everyone, I would like to show you what I've been going through these past few hours, of which I have no idea what's going on, or why, but I have some hypothesis.

The exact thing that happens is the next:

I have these things open

I open a heavy game (GTA V, Warzone, Battlefield, ETC.)
    I open discord along the game, to talk with friends.
    In most cases (I got a 2nd monitor) I have Opera GX Broswer with maybe 2/3 tabs

Basically as the game is loading, or maybe I can be in the lobby, but when joining a game, the apps will start closing and giving errors, I don't have any screenshots as when the errors occur I basically have to close everything manually or even restart the computer.

My specs

i5 8400 Processor
    8gb 2400MHz RAM
    GTX 1050ti 4gb VRAM Graphics Card
    120gb SSD (Windows installed here)
    1TB HDD (For everything else)

What I think caused it

I think the root of the current state of my computer is that I tried to create a dual boot with Linux-Ubuntu, to do this, I basically created another partition of 80GB, where I wanted to install this. Installed the ubuntu thing, but came up with an error, I had been trying to install Linux on a side for like 3 straight hours, so basically I said, f*ck it, I'll do it tomorrow.

The partition was GPT (I think that's default) But I had to change something that said EXF4 (Between the other options was NTFS), so I'm guessing the HDD was basically GPT along with NTFS, and then a small part of it was GPT but with EXF4, so that's something I supposedly needed to make Ubuntu work.

When I went back to Windows 10, I encountered this issue where I wanted to play SMITE, a game that doesn't require much, along with Discord, I would crash already just with these two. I thought it had something to do with ubuntu, so I decided to go to "Disk Management" Where I was able to see my HDD that had 850GB total, and the partition of it that was only 80GB that had Ubuntu, what I did was basically delete the whole thing, but I couldn't use that free space, I couldn't include it back on my HDD, so I decided to download a third party software to do this. "minitool partition wizard". Which did it in a second, but the problem persisted.

What things have I tried

Besides what I mentioned here:

I thought it had something to do with ubuntu, so I decided to go to "Disk Management" Where I was able to see my HDD that had 850GB total, and the partition of it that was only 80GB that had Ubuntu, what I did was basically delete the whole thing, but I couldn't use that free space, I couldn't include it back on my HDD, so I decided to download a third party software to do this. "minitool partition wizard". Which did it in a second, but the problem persisted.

First thing I thought it was, was Ram issues:

It's been so long and so many hours, that I don't even remember WHY I thought it could've been the RAM, but basically I think it's because of this:

https://preview.redd.it/j2q7ekma4pq...bp&s=fa01e513a313ebb22d31d55543ca4630aa3de5de

As you can see, it shows that I'm supposedly using a 50% of my RAM

What I AM only using

https://preview.redd.it/lp985f5g4pq...bp&s=52fe8e23ec3dbb6fd7a5da82bff0c5c8232141a8

So basically, there's 1.2GB of RAM that are being used, without me really knowing what it is.

Because of these reasons, I thought that my computer for some weird reason was using a huge amount of RAM, and so if I wanted to play some games, it could basically just crash, as it'd need to use more RAM along the huge amount that it's already using.

First thing that I did to try and fix this, was restart the computer, as soon as it opens, 1.2GB / 1.5GB of ram already being used.

Second thing, analyse for viruses. Nothing (More than KMSAuto.)

Third thing, Page Filing, I disabled it, changed how much did I want it to use to the bare minimum, to the recommended, to whatever I thought it should may use, but didn't change at all, same problem.

Fourth thing, started asking friends, how much do they have of RAM usage as soon as they start it.
    They all said 15 to 20% of their RAM is being used all the time, even though I have nothing being executed.

Basically at this point I said, this is normal, so the problem isn't the RAM anymore.

Installed Windows 10 From "Scratch"

Usual thing, decided to install from "scratch", but I only deleted everything from my SSD and installed windows, the HDD files weren't deleted. Had too many files to save so I decided not to do it, unless fully necessary (which might end up going for in a few hours).

My newest hypothesis

My last breath, my last piece of "hope", is centered on my HDD, I think maybe the Ubuntu thing or the EXT4 thing, basically messed it up;

Windows 10 wasn't allowing me to reunite that new partition to my old one, so I forced it with another software. Maybe it wasn't allowing me to, because it's one HDD, but two partitions, with two different formats, EXT4 and NTFS.

And that, basically either broke my HDD, making this a "buy another HDD" type of solution, or, I have to format it to scratch, which would be pretty good.

Things I'd like to clarify

This problem started after me trying to install another OS, so no, it's not that my specs are bad and can't run games along with as much apps as I want.
    I used to have GTA V, Discord, Opera GX, with maybe Netflix or Youtube, or whatever it was, but could have up to 6, 7 tabs opened, with of course some FPS differences, but never this type of errors.

This feels like a challenge so let's see what you guys can offer. Thanks in advance to all, and good day!

submitted by /u/Dazzling_Community_8
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Dazzling_Community_8, Apr 2, 2021
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Apr 2, 2021
  3. Maria Fab Win User
    app crashes but not in safe mode

Hello Mahmoud,

When an app is working in safe mode and it crashes when your PC is in normal mode, it means that there's a software conflict or problem that's causing it to crash. To better assist you, kindly answer the following:

• Have you recently installed a new app? We suggest that you uninstall the new app, and check if it helps resolve your concern.
    • Do you have any other antivirus software installed on your PC? We suggest that you turn off any antivirus software installed on your PC, and see if you were able to run the app without any issues.
    • Does it happen to a specific app only (the app mentioned above)? We suggest that you contact the software developer, or post in their forum for better assistance.

Please let us know if the issue is resolved or you need any further assistance.

Maria Fab, Apr 2, 2021
  4. Sasqui Win User

Software crashing when using heavy apps

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Apr 2, 2021
Thema:

Software crashing when using heavy apps

1. Software crashing when using heavy apps - Similar Threads - Software crashing using

2. recent crashes when using 3d heavy applications such as games.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    recent crashes when using 3d heavy applications such as games.: Below is the contents of the .dmp file from my recent crashes. I have an Nvidia geforce RTX 3060 TI for reference. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers but problems persist. Is it a hardware issue?...
  3. recent crashes when using 3d heavy applications such as games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recent crashes when using 3d heavy applications such as games.: Below is the contents of the .dmp file from my recent crashes. I have an Nvidia geforce RTX 3060 TI for reference. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers but problems persist. Is it a hardware issue?...
  4. recent crashes when using 3d heavy applications such as games.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My pc hard crashes/restarts after heavy use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc hard crashes/restarts after heavy use: This happens randomly but semi-consistently usually under high use for a long period of time while gaming hard crash then restart, screen turns fades to very high contrast or a little while later after startup blue screen.I have already reinstalled a few corrupted drivers +...
  6. black screen crash when GPU is in heavy use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    black screen crash when GPU is in heavy use: I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue on my own, but I'm at my wits' end and hoping someone here can help. Fingers crossed!I built my rig about 9 months ago, and things have mostly gone smoothly ... except for very occasional crashes to a black screen when running...
  7. black screen crash when GPU is in heavy use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    black screen crash when GPU is in heavy use: I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue on my own, but I'm at my wits' end and hoping someone here can help. Fingers crossed!I built my rig about 9 months ago, and things have mostly gone smoothly ... except for very occasional crashes to a black screen when running...
  8. Laptop app crashes and heavy lag/framedrops

Laptop app crashes and heavy lag/framedrops: I have a problem with my laptop Asus vivobook15 where i cant have any app open for longer dan 3 minutes before the app does not respond anymore, and makes my screen black. I can barely use google chrome or apps like roblox or discord which is very annoying because i have a 3...
  9. Crashing of heavy applications.

Crashing of heavy applications.: My laptop was running fine. Which has i5 7gen and nvidia 940mx chip. I use premiere pro on it. Later on my laptop's manufacturer's recommended graphics was older so I updated it. And then issue with premiere pro running slow was resolved but now it crashes. I used to play NFS...
  10. PC Keeps Crashing when under heavy load

PC Keeps Crashing when under heavy load: When I use my Pc and run demanding power games after a while or at random times my pc shuts down abruptly with no warning. I've reinstalled windows multiple times moved to another hard drive. Switched Power Supply's, Ram, Motherboard and gpus. I don't know what to do anymore....