Windows 10: software generates pgm files that are occasionally quarantined

Discus and support software generates pgm files that are occasionally quarantined in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. I have an imaging system that generates pgm files portable gray map. Very infrequently 1 in 10000 these files are quarantined by Windows. But,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by chetnvsw, Jan 4, 2021.

1. chetnvsw Win User

software generates pgm files that are occasionally quarantined

Hello.

I have an imaging system that generates pgm files portable gray map. Very infrequently 1 in 10000 these files are quarantined by Windows. But, when they are quarantined it causes a processing disruption that is a headache to fix.

I have been researching the issue and I think the best solution is to save the image files in a compressed format png or similar. Before going down this path, I want to get advice from someone with more experience.

I submitted one of the quarantined files to virustotal.com, and it was only flagged by Microsoft.

software generates pgm files that are occasionally quarantined 1df1563e-4d3e-46aa-9d01-1f0fb4e80dbf?upload=true.png

I feel like the issue is that by coincidence some part of the binary in the pgm file resembles the binary in a known exploit what are the odds of that??.

But why is the file only flagged by Microsoft? Is there a way to avoid this issue and maintain the pgm format e.g., some how indicate all images coming from the camera are safe? Will moving to a different file format for the images resolve this issue for good?

Thanks for your help!

:)

chetnvsw, Jan 4, 2021
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Where to restore quarantined items in Windows 10 creator update?

Hi,

As per the description of the issue, you would like to know how to restore files that has been quarantined by Windows Defender. For us to assist you, here's a simple guide on how to see where the quarantined files are located:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to History tab.
    • In the History tab, check for Quarantined items.
    • Place a check on the file that you want to restore, this should enable
      Allow item
    • Press Allow item, this should bring the file back to the original location.

To check where the files are located, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to History tab.
    • In the History tab, check for Quarantined items.
    • Click on view details.
    • In the description, it will show you the file path where it is located.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Jan 4, 2021
  3. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Jan 4, 2021
  4. MB NH Win User

Occasionally "Microsoft print to pdf" creates empty files

Have already done all of the steps suggested in that link.
    The problem only happens occasionally; maybe two or three times a day.
    Happening on several PC's, the only way to catch it before it goes to customers is the size of the file created.
    If it is 0 or 1kb, it's a blank document.
    Microsoft Print to pdf was working fine until about two weeks ago.
    Thank You

MB NH, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

1. software generates pgm files that are occasionally quarantined - Similar Threads - software generates pgm

2. Generated Software List is Not Showing All Software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Generated Software List is Not Showing All Software: Hello,I've been using this article to generate software lists for my windows 10 PC:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printing-a-list-of-installed-software/443cd8a2-8f2d-4771-bb52-b7df188acd38However, I work with a lot of niche art software like Zbrush,...
  3. Generated Software List is Not Showing All Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Generated Software List is Not Showing All Software: Hello,I've been using this article to generate software lists for my windows 10 PC:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printing-a-list-of-installed-software/443cd8a2-8f2d-4771-bb52-b7df188acd38However, I work with a lot of niche art software like Zbrush,...
  4. Generated Software List is Not Showing All Software

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Quarantined files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quarantined files: Hi all. I've got a NAS, I use the shares as network folders. I think, some files are quarantined by Windows Defender Windows 7 or 10. When I use Linux, I see these files and folders they are in, but I can't delete them. The error message of the file manager software Dolphin,...
  6. Quarantined files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quarantined files: Hi all. I've got a NAS, I use the shares as network folders. I think, some files are quarantined by Windows Defender Windows 7 or 10. When I use Linux, I see these files and folders they are in, but I can't delete them. The error message of the file manager software Dolphin,...
  7. Quarantined files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Best PGP Key Generating Software's for windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best PGP Key Generating Software's for windows: Hi,Is there any Recommended or Best PGP Key Generating Software for windows?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-pgp-key-generating-softwares-for-windows/7c732ac8-462c-41e0-9a70-b982c9078b2d
  9. Email pgm installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Email pgm installation: How do I install yahoo email pgm to be able to send attachments with it? My document is unable to send as attachment. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/email-pgm-installation/6f23cd15-e37d-4c89-8b68-89fb9fed3ac8
  10. can"t cancel/stop pgm

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    can"t cancel/stop pgm: was downloading a tutorial and the following error message popped up- MICROSOFT SECURITY WARNING cal ... How do I stop this from either executing or displaying ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-cancelstop-pgm/e5746b63-5f4f-4477-b008-83492e8942cf"