Windows 10: Software installers are unable to install directly into D drive by automatic folder creation

Discus and support Software installers are unable to install directly into D drive by automatic folder creation in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, Like the title says, whenever I have an installer and they always default to a location in my C drive, but when I select D drive thinking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by OxygenAllergy, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Software installers are unable to install directly into D drive by automatic folder creation

Hi all,

Like the title says, whenever I have an installer and they always default to a location in my C drive, but when I select D drive thinking that they can just use the 800gb of storage space, the CONTINUE button is always grayed out, unable to install. Unless I create a new folder manually and install them in there, they are never able to create their own folders.

Got a solution to that? Or is it a hardware issue?

Thanks!

:)

OxygenAllergy, Dec 4, 2019
  2. Cleats Win User

D Drive Installation

I need to install my programs to the D Drive but I'm uncertain of all the procedures I should take before starting that process.

I think the drive is ready to go but I still have questions like

Should I create a Programs folder for the D Drive and do I just select the D drive for all installation options. Like Installation and folders and etc .....

Do I need to change the storage options or create my own My Documents on the D Drive.

For Example - My 3D software loads my content into My Documents. I guess I can re direct these files to the D Drive also ?

I guess it shouldn't be rocket science but I just haven't installed programs off the c drive before.

Do you have Any Suggestions , tips or tutorials you can recommend ?

Cleats, Dec 4, 2019
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Software installers are unable to install directly into D drive by automatic folder creation ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Dec 4, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Software installers are unable to install directly into D drive by automatic folder creation

D Drive Installation

Hi Cleats,

Is this a space issue, or a performance issue?

Some software installers allow you to choose the installation location, some do not !!

Yes you should create a Programs Folder over on your D Drive if you intend to install applications onto that drive, otherwise the installations will end up all over the drive

Then when installing software, if allowed to choose a destination, choose that new folder . . .

With regards to moving your Documents folder, you should move all your Library folders to your D Drive - but there is a specific way to do that . . .

Open Windows file Explorer

At the top of the right hand pane, right click your Documents Folder and choose Properties

Click on the Location Tab on the resulting dialog

In the Location Box, type D:\Documents

Click Apply and OK and confirm the Move and the Merge

PLEASE REMEMBER: you must type a folder name in that dialog or the documents folder will end up all over the drive

You can do the same for the other library folders like Pictures, Videos . .. etc. each time changing the name of the destination folder, e.g. D:\Pictures, D:\Videos and so on

Do not move your Desktop Folder, that can cause issues . . .

DaveM121, Dec 4, 2019
Thema:

Software installers are unable to install directly into D drive by automatic folder creation

1. Software installers are unable to install directly into D drive by automatic folder creation - Similar Threads - Software installers are

2. Installing software on the D: drive. Is it worth it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing software on the D: drive. Is it worth it?: Hii! I have a laptop with the capacity of 256GB. For the year of owning my laptop, I've met myself with storage problems numerously. My C drive has only about 99GB, while my D drive actually has been holding 137GB empty these past few years. I am not very good at computers,...
  3. Installing software on the D: drive. Is it worth it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing software on the D: drive. Is it worth it?: Hii! I have a laptop with the capacity of 256GB. For the year of owning my laptop, I've met myself with storage problems numerously. My C drive has only about 99GB, while my D drive actually has been holding 137GB empty these past few years. I am not very good at computers,...
  4. Installing software on the D: drive. Is it worth it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Unable to install game to D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to install game to D drive: I just bought Forza 5 and do not have enough space on my C drive for the game. This is a family PC and there are several other accounts on it. I've already set my default to the D drive but when I try to install it it says there is not enough space and does not give me an...
  6. Unable to install game to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install game to D drive: I just bought Forza 5 and do not have enough space on my C drive for the game. This is a family PC and there are several other accounts on it. I've already set my default to the D drive but when I try to install it it says there is not enough space and does not give me an...
  7. Unable to install game to D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unable to create files directly on D:/ drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to create files directly on D:/ drive: Hello,I'm running a custom built PC and my current D: drive used to have windows installed on it, but we moved the windows installation to my current C drive on a re-install. Because of the previous installation, I can create folders on my D drive but cannot create or place...
  9. Unable to install games on D drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to install games on D drive: The Microsoft store will not install onto my D drive. I've tried changing the default save location but it tells me that there are apps on the drive and it is unable to delete them. Ive purchased Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 and would really like to install it but the app simply...
  10. Unable to install PSO2 in my D Drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to install PSO2 in my D Drive: I've used MS Store to install games before and most of the time, I install them in my D Drive after changing the default location for new apps in System->Storage. However, anytime I try to install Phantasy Star Online 2, I get a pop-up asking to select a compatible drive...