Windows 10: Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86)

Discus and support Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just installed a software package published by a company that caters mainly to Mac users and (in my opinion) really doesn't understand Windows well.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by perkinw, May 27, 2019.

1. perkinw Win User

Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86)

I just installed a software package published by a company that caters mainly to Mac users and (in my opinion) really doesn't understand Windows well. By default, their installer (install.exe) chooses C:\Program Files(x86)\xyz as the install directory, where let's say xyz is the name of the package. After the install, I don't see any new entries in the start menu or in Apps and Features. Looking at the contents of the install directory, I see spreadsheets, pdf documentation, and some images. There are no executables. There is no uninstaller.

Here is my question: Is there a simple way to determine if this package can be moved? In other words, is there a way to determine if a package in Program Files somehow depends on its location?

Assuming that the package does not depend on its location, would it have been better to distribute this software as a zip file that the user could simply unzip anywhere rather than an (unsafe) install.exe?

:)

perkinw, May 27, 2019
  2. Tommygunn Win User

Partitioning Program Files/Program Files(x86) from Windows 10 install?

In the coming week I will be installing Windows 10 Home on my new computer. I will be using an SSD and an HDD, the SSD for the OS, programs and games and the HDD for photos, music and all the other slow stuff.
    So, my question. In case the OS were to ever get corrupted, or I had to reinstall the OS for any other reason, is it possible to have the SSD set up as follows; Partition 1 - OS, Partition 2 - Program Files/Program Files((x86) plus other associated folders/files) and Partition 3 for my games, so that any re-install does not wipe out my already installed programs?

I had no problem doing this in with my XP desktop(OS in C and Progs in D, although not perfect, but was never able to do it with Windows 7.

Can it be done?

Tom.

Tommygunn, May 27, 2019
  3. KentEnnis Win User
    Program Files (x86) (x86)

I have folders for program files, program files (x86) and program files (x86) (x86). Believe the program files (x86) (x86) is based on loading an incompatible Lexmark printer software as the only folder within is Lexmark 3500-4500 series. Tried to delete
    folder but states "action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. I have uninstalled all associated printer/software from system but can't seem to delete this folder. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thx

KentEnnis, May 27, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

program files and program files x86

Hi louandtootsosmundson

The Program Files folder and the Program Files (x86) folders must be kept separate to avoid conflicts

Window will automatically handle those folders, placing 64bit applications in the Program Files Folder and 32bit applications in the Program Files (x86) folder

DaveM121, May 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86) - Similar Threads - Software installs Program

2. Program Files x86 not accessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Files x86 not accessible: Program Files x86 is just no accessible, it is visible in the file explorer, I can open it but cannot create/delete any files or folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-files-x86-not-accessible/982c0f1a-41cb-4c8e-99c0-8e759d51d26d
  3. “ENE” File folder in Program Files and Programs Files x86

“ENE” File folder in Program Files and Programs Files x86: This is this weird file which i dont know what it does. For Program Files x86, there is this application that doesnt even do. What does this file do?...
  4. Installing Programs into "Mock" Program Files (x86)?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Programs into "Mock" Program Files (x86)?: So I've been doing this for three years now without ever stopping to ask if it was a smart idea. I have a laptop that came with a 256 GB SSD (the C: drive onto which Windows was installed) and a 1TB SSHD (which came defined as the D: drive). I noticed the C: drive was getting...
  5. Duplicate installations in Program Files and Program Files (x86)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate installations in Program Files and Program Files (x86): I have a x64 PC, can I delete the duplicate installations of programs in Program Files (x86) that are also installed in Program Files? 157505
  6. Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86): I just installed a software package published by a company that caters mainly to Mac users and (in my opinion) really doesn't understand Windows well. By default, their installer (install.exe) chooses C:\Program Files(x86)\xyz as the install directory, where let's say xyz is...
  7. program files and program files x86

program files and program files x86: what If I mixed program files and program files x86 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-files-and-program-files-x86/0e6ed22e-7f14-4bea-ba3c-65079ee7a563"
  8. Progrqm Files & Program Files x86

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Progrqm Files & Program Files x86: I am trying to uninstall a program that did not install properly. The companies support tells me to check Program Files and Program Files x86. I found them once but can't find them again. Where are they?...
  9. Can't delete Programs files and program files x86

Can't delete Programs files and program files x86: I am trying to change what disk i am using so i copied over the program files and program files x86 but i can't delete the old it just says file is still open but nothing else is open...
  10. Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?

in Windows 10 Support
    Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?: Hi, I was wondering how important the two mentioned folders are when installing a software. I know most programs suggest being installed to one of them, but it is really necessary? What happens if I choose another folder? I use the game client Steam for example. It...