Windows 10: Software Vs Hardware RAID

Discus and support Software Vs Hardware RAID in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there Unless you NEED more HDD ports it really is NOT worth buying any consumer grade RAID controller card - these days they are far slower than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Mar 9, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Software Vs Hardware RAID

Hi there

Unless you NEED more HDD ports it really is NOT worth buying any consumer grade RAID controller card - these days they are far slower than by doing it with software - Windows Storage spaces is extremely good (and you can use different size HDD's for striping / mirroring etc) and in Linux the well know mdadm program built into kernels works incredibly well too.

For fairly average HDD's - I have 4 HDD's in a 2 Array configuration using RAID 0 (wanted speed as I have enough backup so losing data wasn't an issue)

With the Hideous hardware card average transfer speed was around 120 Mib/s to move a 64 GB directory between the two arrays. I disabled the card and set the Bios to use AHCI / SATA rather than the RAID controller and set up RAID via software.

Moving a directory is a good test as both READ and WRITES are being tested. READS are usually a lot quicker than writes in RAID 0 configurations so a good test as read from source / write to target and delete from source at end of transfer.

With software I was getting average speeds of around 370 Mib/s -- a good 300% better !!!! Quite a bit of the time the transfer was over 410 Mib/s

Directory / Folder size was 64GB with a few 4GB MKV video files in it and quite a few smaller ones too - a mix of video / text / programs etc.

If you are going to buy a RAID controller make sure it's a good one - and they are expensive -- the consumer grade ones are really just JUNK !!!!!

Software Vs Hardware RAID [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 9, 2017

2. Hard Drive Error

Hi,

RAID1 Mirroring with Windows 7 - see -> What happens when a hard drive fails?
    How do you recover? (Also applies to Windows 8/8.1 & 10)

RAID 1 Mirroring with Windows 7 « Buildegg Articles

If you are using Hardware or HyBrid or software other than by Microsoft also check with their support.

Check with the Experts at TechNet who use RAID on a much more frequent basis.

TechNet - Windows 10 IT Pro - Forums

Technet forums - Windows 10 IT Pro

TechNet - XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8/8.1 IT Pro
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro,w8itpro,windowsvistaitpro,windowsxpitpro,windowsintune

TechNet - Forums

Technet forums

TechNet - Where is the Forum For…?

Technet forums - Where is the Forum For…?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More on RAID :

RAID often causes more issues than it solves. Especially for software RAID which is included on some motherboards and Windows.

RAID

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Today there are 3 "General Types" of RAID

Software, Hybrid (some hardware with software checks), and Hardware.

Personally I think the Software and Hybrid are a waste of time and misleading when claims of reliability are usually made. In most cases an effective backup plan is better than these. All too often the RAID software and/or Hybrid model actually cause a failure.
    Or what is supposed to protect the system in drive crashes and failures ends up being the cause of them. Hardware RAID is by far the best.

Hardware RAID

http://www.bestpricecomputers.co.uk/glossary/raid-controller.htm

Hardware RAID is a physical hard drive controller that provides the drive interactions needed to perform a reliable redundant array.

Intel RAID controllers

http://www.intel.com/products/server/raid/index.htm

Adaptec RAID controllers

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/

Many low cost add-in hardware RAID controllers are really a Hybrid where some of the action is done by the hardware card and the rest (and often most important functions) are performed by the CPU of the system using software RAID.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea

http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles?&id=29

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Mar 9, 2017
  3. Windows 10

Hi,

Your RAID failed - was it hardware or more likely software?

So you initially had two drives in the computer and they were set in RAID 1? If so the

other drive should boot too. So it sounds like they were in a RAID 0 setup.

Try to boot each drive by themselves as C: to see what happens.

See if you can save data off of C: or D: - booting with your DVD if needed.

If original C: is indeed bad you can put D: in as C: and install Windows on it - legal because you will have only one running copy. Put C: in as D: and check for data and to see if it can be saved - chkdsk and disk maker's diagnostic tools and/or Dell's. You
    can't then later put Windows back on the original C: as you only have one license - unless you remove it from the old D: first. One license = 1 running copy.

Strong suggestion to not put Norton on the new install - use Windows Defender which in Windows 8/8.1 & 10 is a full antivirus. Despite all the hype out there WD is a true superstar in detection and compatibility. Would not be surprised if Norton was the reason
    your RAID failed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAID often causes more issues than it solves. Especially for software RAID which is included on some motherboards and Windows (7+)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Today there are 3 "General Types" of RAID

Software, Hybrid (some hardware with software checks), and Hardware.

Personally I think the Software and Hybrid are a waste of time and misleading when claims of reliability are usually made. In most cases an effective backup plan is better than these. All too often the RAID software and/or Hybrid model actually cause a failure.
    Or what is supposed to protect the system in drive crashes and failures ends up being the cause of them. Hardware RAID is by far the best.

Hardware RAID

What are RAID Controllers - RAID Controller Card Information

Hardware RAID is a physical hard drive controller that provides the drive interactions needed to perform a reliable redundant array.

Intel RAID controllers

http://www.intel.com/products/server/raid/index.htm

Adaptec RAID controllers

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/

Many low cost add-in hardware RAID controllers are really a Hybrid where some of the action is done by the hardware card and the rest (and often most important functions) are performed by the CPU of the system using software RAID.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Mar 9, 2017
Thema:

Software Vs Hardware RAID

1. Software Vs Hardware RAID - Similar Threads - Software Hardware RAID

2. Windows software raid 0 issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows software raid 0 issue: My raid 0 is missing, when reconnecting the drives, I can see them both in the Disk Management as foreign disks, however when I click on import, I get 2 options both showing " import disk group disk 1 of 1, if I click ok I get a warning that a volume is missing, so I cancel....
  3. Windows software raid 0 issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows software raid 0 issue: My raid 0 is missing, when reconnecting the drives, I can see them both in the Disk Management as foreign disks, however when I click on import, I get 2 options both showing " import disk group disk 1 of 1, if I click ok I get a warning that a volume is missing, so I cancel....
  4. Software controling hardware?!?!?!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Software controling hardware?!?!?!: Since when can an operating system for me Win10 scan and repair my hard drive after a simple restart? A piece of software should never be able to make changes to a piece of hardware without the end users explicit consent. Can someone? Can we clarify that please?...
  5. Hardware Or software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware Or software: Hello guys I have an hcl laptop and it had been working fine until today . when I press some buttons on my laptop I don't know which buttons they are, it is random my laptop continuously beeps and I have to press num lk or ins for five seconds to make it stop . whenever it...
  6. Problem with software RAID

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with software RAID: I have four 4TB drives I created a software RAID 5 on. When accessing the volume, specifically writing to it, my PC becomes noticeably less stable; as in, a video's audio stream stopping for a few milliseconds like when playing a really high-bitrate file from a hard drive...
  7. Software/Hardware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Software/Hardware: Good Day Can you help me please? I have a Lenovo all in one touchscreen 21inches which I purchased new some years ago it came with Windows 7 which immediately updated when I went on line. I have had some problems with the hardware which Lenovo put right. However in the...
  8. software/hardware

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    software/hardware: my system is running a hp laptop on my new min desktop making it run hot system is a intel product help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/softwarehardware/e82fa7e0-aa77-4164-be6a-edf339026dab
  9. Using an NVME SSD in AHCI vs RAID mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using an NVME SSD in AHCI vs RAID mode: I built my system with a Samsung 950 PRO m.2 NVMe SSD as the Windows 10 boot drive (C*Smile, plus a pair of old-fashioned SATA-III hard drives configured in RAID1 as my data drive (D*Smile. The SSD is plugged directly into one of the m.2 slots on my motherboard. I have the...
  10. Raid 0 Vs JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks) (Hardware)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Raid 0 Vs JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks) (Hardware): Hi there Was wondering if RAID 0 (hardware) was faster than JBOD (just a Bunch of Disks). - Some of these 2 / 4 bay HDD devices have hardware RAID / JBOD / Individual HDD settings. Note RAID 0 (speed) --not interested in RAID 1 / 10 which these boxes do --I've enough...