Windows 10: Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters

Discus and support Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Windows updates seems to be creating file pathnames greater than 255 characters on my laptop running Windows 10 Home 64-bit . They are in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by quillitus, Mar 1, 2019.

1. quillitus Win User

Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters

Hi,

Windows updates seems to be creating file pathnames greater than 255 characters on my laptop running Windows 10 Home 64-bit .

They are in the c:\windows\Softwaredistribution.bak\. . . folder .

Some of the files' pathnames are coming in at 281 characters!

Surely this could cause problems for my c:\windows folder, hence for my system.

Can I safely delete the Softwaredistribution.bak folder, and is there any way to stop this happening?

Thanks for your help.

:)

quillitus, Mar 1, 2019
  2. thewamp Win User

Does a single file with too long pathname abort automatic File Histoy Backups?

File History backup stopped working after setting it up to run every 12 hours and observing that it did work for a few days.

FileHistory-Engine>File History backup log showed that there was a single file that had a too long pathname. The pathname was shortened to less than 255 characters and File History was manually invoked successfully a few times, each time after making a
    small change to a test file. Why is the user not notified when automatic backups fail?

thewamp, Mar 1, 2019
  3. Darknova Win User
    Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

You can't have a pathname more than 255 characters long. That includes ALL containing folders.

That's why I think 99% of people need to be re-taught how to zip things up.

"Can't extract, file patch exceeds 255 characters."

*sigh*

Darknova, Mar 1, 2019
  4. Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters

Windows 10 .bak file extensions not showing

Hi Riel,

Please have a look at the following - -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

It is step 4a. that I cannot get past. Can you tell me exactly what I should be doing?

That is, am I supposed to find “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.bak” and “C:\Windows\system32\catroot2.bak,

or just

“C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution” and “C:\Windows\system32\catroot2. and add the .bak or add "SoftwareDistribution" and "catroot2"

so that I end up with

“C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak”

and “C:\Windows\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak

I am at a loss, and I have not been able to install an update since my machine was updated to build 14393.693, what was that 6 months ago?

Tom (aka Reallyoldguy), Mar 1, 2019
Thema:

Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters

1. Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters - Similar Threads - Softwaredistribution bak files

2. STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?: STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023? It's a kind of Windows 3.0 problem and still exist! How to force Microsoft to fix it?...
  3. STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?: STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023? It's a kind of Windows 3.0 problem and still exist! How to force Microsoft to fix it?...
  4. STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name

Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name: Hello,I am tring to google and find how to make, that my path name and file name can exceed 255 MAX characters. I found 2 solutions. With reg edit The registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD must...
  6. Deleted .bak file

Deleted .bak file: Hey. I've accidentally deleted my .bak file instead of renaming it because I was having the "we couldn't sign into your account" thing. Now I'm permanently locked out of my account and in some random one. I really don't want to lose my stuff and I just need a solution on how...
  7. .bak file

.bak file: How do I open a .bak file? Have made a backup copy but proving frustrating trying to open the file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bak-file/14ebc606-47f5-4744-8aca-418f80303a06"
  8. Wrong file properties when folder contains files exceeding 255 character

Wrong file properties when folder contains files exceeding 255 character: So it has been almost 10 months with this problem, any news about it? Are the developers working on it? To me it looks like a silly and easy error to fix. I mean i understand that the OS has problems with long file names, but in the past it just skipped those files, now it...
  9. Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters?: I was under the impression that this was a feature that was added to one of the updates on Windows 10. Enable long file name support in Windows 10 | IT Pro How come I'm still gettng an error when copying a file deep down a directory path to another drive? eg. copy...
  10. how to open a .bak file

in Windows 10 Support
    how to open a .bak file: I understand that a .bak file is created as a back up but why would my windows 10 computer create a file I can't open ? 54366

Users found this page by searching for:

1. OK to delete software paths?