Windows 10: softwaredistribution.bak folder takes a lot of memory

Discus and support softwaredistribution.bak folder takes a lot of memory in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The softwaredistribution.bak folder on Win 10 takes 11.2 gb of memory and the windows folder takes a whole of 34.2 gb. I have a 128 ssd and this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ra1009, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Ra1009 Win User

softwaredistribution.bak folder takes a lot of memory

The softwaredistribution.bak folder on Win 10 takes 11.2 gb of memory and the windows folder takes a whole of 34.2 gb. I have a 128 ssd and this is taking a lot of space, I don't think it should take this much space. I'm thinking of deleting the backup folder, is it alright?

:)

Ra1009, Jul 19, 2019
  2. JAY
    Jay Win User

How to re-enable Cortana Windows 10, used adding .bak to file folder to disable

I followed the steps listed by MC10 in this link Can I completely disable Cortana on Windows 10?

But then I realized it disables being able to search using the start menu and I want to re-enable Cortana. I tried deleting the .bak from the file folder, but I can't because Windows created a new identical folder. I tried removing the new folder and removing .bak, restart, no luck and then I also just got rid of the old .bak folder, restart no luck.

How can I get Cortana working again?

3. BeeGeeJay Win User
    windows 10 updates won't download and install

I have seen similar suggestions to other people reporting similar problems. I have tried the Windows Update troubleshooter, and it found nothing. Before I go to the next step, I want to clarify three points. First, I am not installing Windows 10. I
    am already running it. The other suggestions said to stop/start appidsvc, rather than misserver. Since I can't find misserver in the Services list, I assume appidsvc is correct. Second, the other suggestions to rename the Software Distribution and Catroot2
    folders said ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak and ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak. Does it matter whether I use those commands or the commands you suggested. Finally, should the .bak or .old folders be changed
    back to their original names, or will the SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folders be regenerated?

BeeGeeJay, Jul 19, 2019
  4. Shiron Win User

SoftwareDistribution Folder

]I just found where all my updates were located. However there are lots of folders and files.
    Can I safely delete them as they take up lots of space?
    The figure below shows how much is in the folder.
    Thanks for any help.

softwaredistribution.bak folder takes a lot of memory [​IMG]

Shiron, Jul 19, 2019
Thema:

1. softwaredistribution.bak folder takes a lot of memory - Similar Threads - softwaredistribution bak folder

2. Windows taking up lots of RAM or memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows taking up lots of RAM or memory: Recently I've found my laptop to be using lots of memory when i don't even have anything open. It often goes to 100% CPU on start up. I have a pretty good laptop too Dell inspiron2n1 7306. I believe this has caused some other issues too. Any ideas? - ive tried most of the...
  3. Service Host taking up lots of memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service Host taking up lots of memory: I am unsure what is wrong with my laptop however Service Host is taking up almost 40% of my memory without anything else other than chrome open and I am unsure why.Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable System type 64-bit...
  4. Service Host taking up lots of memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Service Host taking up lots of memory: I am unsure what is wrong with my laptop however Service Host is taking up almost 40% of my memory without anything else other than chrome open and I am unsure why.Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable System type 64-bit...
  5. Desktop Window Manager taking a lot of Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager taking a lot of Memory: Windows desktop mgr taking a lot of memory . fix ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-window-manager-taking-a-lot-of-memory/41d8ce1a-91a8-4459-83b3-d4a1f5c23069
  6. Desktop Window Manager taking a lot of Memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Window Manager taking a lot of Memory: Windows desktop mgr taking a lot of memory . fix ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-window-manager-taking-a-lot-of-memory/41d8ce1a-91a8-4459-83b3-d4a1f5c23069
  7. Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder: Dear Support,I accidentally deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder instead of the downloads forler inside of there while clearing caches.I did press skip on everything that popped up.I just wanna make sure if all it okay by asking this here.Or is it better to delete the...
  8. Explorer.exe is taking a lot of ram memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer.exe is taking a lot of ram memory: So lately when I open task manager I click on memory so I see whats taking the most memory and what I'm seeing is this So please help me fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorerexe-is-taking-a-lot-of-ram-memory/51e5025b-99b0-4ac0-b10d-ee3cfb38ab6e
  9. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete SoftwareDistribution folder: If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder can I still uninstall updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-softwaredistribution-folder/990eb5dc-1966-4e82-9bb3-ee8da3a39e54
  10. SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SoftwareDistribution Folder: ]I just found where all my updates were located. However there are lots of folders and files. Can I safely delete them as they take up lots of space? The figure below shows how much is in the folder. Thanks for any help. [img] 15686

Users found this page by searching for:

1. software distribution.bak

2. delete software distribution folder bak