Windows 10: Softwares Can't Be Installed From an External Hard Drive

Discus and support Softwares Can't Be Installed From an External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I try to install a software from an external hard drive I can't. But when I copy that file onto desktop I can. How to fix that? 71332 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by zanshin777, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Softwares Can't Be Installed From an External Hard Drive

When I try to install a software from an external hard drive I can't. But when I copy that file onto desktop I can.

How to fix that?

:)

zanshin777, Dec 1, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Transfer files from windows 7 to 10

Programs and settings can't be transferred. There is software that claims to do that, for a price, but the results are often bad. Besides that, programs written for Windows 7 won't necessarily work properly (or at all) on Windows 10.

Moving your personal data (documents, pictures, etc.) is easy: Copy them to an external hard drive and move them from the external hard drive to your new computer.

You should re-install your software programs on the new computer, and when you do, make sure you are installing the Windows 10 version of the program.

BulldogXX, Dec 1, 2016
  3. RickBeard Win User
    External hard drive not installing, I believe I need drivers.

Installed an external hard drive. my computer can't find it.

RickBeard, Dec 1, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Softwares Can't Be Installed From an External Hard Drive

Hi, how does your attempt fail when you try to install a program, and what is the program you're trying to install? What error message do you get? There may be an event in your event log.

Thanks.

dalchina, Dec 1, 2016
  5. The error when I tried to install a software from an external drive is :

"The system cannot find the path specified"

zanshin777, Dec 2, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Again, what is the program you are trying to install?
    (Note- software is an uncountable noun, so 'a software' isn't possible)

dalchina, Dec 2, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    You could try copying the file to a temporary place on your pc then right click on it and select properties. Some files if they've come from an external source some times have a check box to unblock it from fully running.

swarfega, Dec 2, 2016
  8. Softwares Can't Be Installed From an External Hard Drive

Any program acts like that.

I think this is annoying.

zanshin777, Dec 2, 2016
  9. swarfega Win User
    Was this an upgrade install?

swarfega, Dec 3, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, have a look in your event log, event viewer; see if there's any other information.

Also try running chkdsk on your external disk.

What we don't know is what the program is trying to do.. is this a write or a read error? Is it a permissions problem?

At what stage in the attempted installation does this fail... as soon as you try to run the installer? At some stage during the installation?

dalchina, Dec 3, 2016
  11. swarfega Win User
    I reckon it's a permissions issue if he did an upgrade install.

swarfega, Dec 3, 2016
  12. No it's not an upgrade install.

I also can't initiate "chkdsk". "Access is Denied" error.

zanshin777, Dec 3, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, some ideas here:
    Access denied on external hard drive. - Microsoft Community

You will find other references by searching for
    chkdsk access denied external disk

One quick to try idea is simply changing the drive letter of the external drive in disk management.

As you can access the files, you could simply copy everything off the disk, format it, and copy them back.

dalchina, Dec 3, 2016
  14. Probably I tried them all. But I'll check out. Thanks.

zanshin777, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Softwares Can't Be Installed From an External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Softwares Can't Installed

2. Can't mount external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't mount external hard drive: An external USB hard drive has been used for a number of years to regularly archive data on a Linux Debian system. The latest attempt to archive data gave the following error :- mount /media/backup mount : can't find UUID=0688802088800FFB Why does this error occur and how...
  3. Installing windows 10 to and from external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing windows 10 to and from external hard drive?: Having trouble figuring out how to do this. I'm building a new PC and I have everything for it other than it's hard drive. I have an external hard drive that I want to use as a temporary hard drive for the computer just to test that everything is working properly. Thing is,...
  4. External hard drive can't open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive can't open: External hard drive is listed in disc management as "raw". Is there a way to open or access it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-cant-open/6ac9492f-b2ed-4301-916b-48d818c0af86
  5. Can't Access VIDEOS from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access VIDEOS from External Hard Drive: Hi, So I just recently got a 5 TB external hard drive, and with the Mylio photo sharing app was able to sync all of my photos and videos together between the external hard drive, my Windows 10 laptop, and the phone itself. I have 2 issues. Firstly, if I am in the app...
  6. Can't eject external hard drive!

Can't eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  7. Installing windows 10 from external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing windows 10 from external hard drive: I know i can install windows 10 from a usb where i have the iso file to my new system but does it also work with a external hard drive using a usb cabel? The hard drive would be a seagate 1tb expansion submitted by /u/LordTachankaCantDie [link] [comments]...
  8. External hard drive installation

External hard drive installation: I am using Windows 10 and am trying to get my computer recognize my external hard drive via a USB port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-installation/5fbf5c54-03af-4c0a-95aa-c2d0f473c5ec
  9. Can't Access External Hard Drive

Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...
  10. Installing Windows 10 from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 from External Hard Drive: I have a laptop that has Linux on it. I want Windows 10 Pro. I have the iso, but can't find my usb sticks. Is there an easy way to install from an external hard drive reader? I have one that I can read drives from and was wondering how it can be done if possible? Thanks...