Windows 10: Sold computer and I can't remember if I wiped all the files or not

Discus and support Sold computer and I can't remember if I wiped all the files or not in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I finally sold my old prebuilt (windows 10) to move on to build my own computer today. I was happy to get rid of it and get the money, until I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Wegoodtbh, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Sold computer and I can't remember if I wiped all the files or not

So I finally sold my old prebuilt (windows 10) to move on to build my own computer today. I was happy to get rid of it and get the money, until I realized I didn't check to see if my files were erased completely before I sold it. Now I am lowkey freaking out I can't lie. So last night was when I reset the computer, but I was intoxicated when I did it lol so I can't really remember what setting I picked to reset it on. I am 95% sure I completely reset everything, but that 5% is killing me right now, because there is an option just to reset windows and keep your files.

But anyway, I was hoping if there was some way you guys can help me identify which option I picked by my specs or by how long it took to reset lol. I am pretty sure I selected the remove everything including personal files and with data erasure on (the option that says it may take hours). The rest seemed like it took forever, it took like 20 minutes to reach 8%, and my computer was a decently fast computer. I was not there to see it finish as I fell asleep around 20%. When I woke up, I had to create a new user and account and password to use the computer. The home screen was empty and I had to put in the wifi password for my old accounts. It seemed like I only had like internet explorer and the other basic apps. If anyone can provide input if they've reset an windows computer and selected the reset but keep files option or if they can tell buy how long it took please let me know. And also will it have wiped both drives if I selected remove everything? Thank you Sorry if this is against the rules or a dumb post lol

Specs: ryzen 5 1400, 1060 3gb graphics, 128gb ssd, 1 tb hdd (both were probably at around 70% capacity)

submitted by /u/Wegoodtbh
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Wegoodtbh, Jun 26, 2020

2. Wiping computer

Your report suggests that your installation has suffered some damage which prevents Windows from doing a reset. In such stubborn cases I would do this:

1. Create a new media installation disk:

Windows 10 herunterladen
    2. Run setup.exe on this disk.
    It would wipe everything, including your data and all applications.

Frederik Long, Jun 26, 2020
  3. Chmmr Win User
    Computer Wiped On Login

Hi all,

Has anyone heard of a computer being wiped on login? I'm trying to explain it to my colleagues and I can't do it properly.

We're having people's computers delete all apps and then move their data to C:\Windows.old\users\%username% but I remember a scenario where there would be two login boxes for the same user, one in a circle and one in a square and if you clicked the other one (I can't remember which) the wipe wouldn't happen. The active one would also warn you that the wipe would happen.

If anyone knows where I can get a screen shot. of the one that warns you of the wipe, that would also be appreciated.

This is in version 1903 / 1909.

Cheers,

Chmmr, Jun 26, 2020
  4. n2ubp Win User

Sold computer and I can't remember if I wiped all the files or not

Windows does not remember the last place I saved quickbooks files.

I thought it was unusual as well, but documented by QB.

If you see Error -6123,0 while restoring your company file

Step 1: Remove special characters from the file name

Make sure your backup company file name:

• Is 30 characters or less
    • Doesn't have any special characters or spaces
    Step 2: Restore your company file

If you’re restoring your company file from a backup (.qbb):

How to fix Error 6123, 0 - QuickBooks Community

n2ubp, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Sold computer and I can't remember if I wiped all the files or not

1. Sold computer and I can't remember if I wiped all the files or not - Similar Threads - Sold computer can't

2. wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wiped all my files: After the restart I noticed that all my files was gone, I tried restarting restarting several times because I thought it's just lagging or it will as move somewhere. Need help, cant find my files....
  3. computer wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    computer wiped all my files: Hi,I'm here to ask a serious problem. I got a computer which is 4 years old now, its a bit laggy but still performing well. Earlier I'm using it to do my homework but it hang up, so I restarted it. After the restart I noticed that all my files was gone, I tried restarting...
  4. computer wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer wiped all my files: Hi,I'm here to ask a serious problem. I got a computer which is 4 years old now, its a bit laggy but still performing well. Earlier I'm using it to do my homework but it hang up, so I restarted it. After the restart I noticed that all my files was gone, I tried restarting...
  5. computer wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. I can't remember the pin I chose.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't remember the pin I chose.: Hi. I just bought an HP Pavillion All in One. I can't remember the pin I chose. How can I change the pin to one I can remember? Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-remember-the-pin-i-chose/fdee3b5e-9bb9-467b-a096-8d30f01db927
  7. I can't remember the pin I chose.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't remember the pin I chose.: Hi. I just bought an HP Pavillion All in One. I can't remember the pin I chose. How can I change the pin to one I can remember? Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-remember-the-pin-i-chose/fdee3b5e-9bb9-467b-a096-8d30f01db927
  8. I can't remember it ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't remember it ?: My computer, is a Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.I have a bunch of pictures.running as a slideshow,on my desktop.On the settings page. I have it set-up,to change the pictures as fast as possible.But, in the registry.You can make changes, so the slideshow.Changes pictures, as...
  9. Sold PC doing a “just remove my files” wipe - is this safe?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sold PC doing a “just remove my files” wipe - is this safe?: Hey all, sold my PC earlier today and just realised that instead of doing a “remove files and clean the drive” reset I accidentally did a “Just remove my files” wipe before selling. Will the new owner be able to recover my personal information or have access to any old files...
  10. Can't the UAC remember which I apps I run all the time

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't the UAC remember which I apps I run all the time: I want to click on my shortcut and fire up Ninja Trader without having to click run as Administrator, which I am, and without clicking yes to the UAC pop up window. How can I change a shortcut permission to open without jumping through all these hoops? Even though it...