Windows 10: Sold PC doing a “just remove my files” wipe - is this safe?

Discus and support Sold PC doing a “just remove my files” wipe - is this safe? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey all, sold my PC earlier today and just realised that instead of doing a “remove files and clean the drive” reset I accidentally did a “Just remove... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/yeshallbebornagain, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Sold PC doing a “just remove my files” wipe - is this safe?

Hey all, sold my PC earlier today and just realised that instead of doing a “remove files and clean the drive” reset I accidentally did a “Just remove my files” wipe before selling. Will the new owner be able to recover my personal information or have access to any old files I had on the PC as well as saved google history and accounts or am I safe? Thanks a lot for your help!

submitted by /u/yeshallbebornagain
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/yeshallbebornagain, Dec 24, 2019

2. Safely Remove Hardware tool

Thank you for the update, Murray. Since you mentioned that you've already tried running the rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll command to no avail, we suggest that you create a shortcut or even a batch file using the same command. Just run
    the shortcut or batch file and see if the Safely Remove Hardware dialog window will appear. To create a shortcut, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the desktop and click on New > Shortcut.
    • In the Type the location of the item box, type in, or copy and paste the following command:
      • rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
    • Click Next and then give it a name like Safely Remove Hardware, and then click on
      Finish.

Keep us in the loop.

Aileen Alf, Dec 24, 2019
  3. geotso Win User
    Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, Dec 24, 2019
  4. Sold PC doing a “just remove my files” wipe - is this safe?

Safely sold window 10 labtop

Hey I just sold my window 10 laptop to other last week. Before I sold, I have reset my labtop. Anyways, I later found that the laptop still in my device list in microsoft account webpage (Microsoft account | Sign In or Create Your Account Today – Microsoft).
    So, I removed it (after I have sold my labtop). My question is that can the buyer access to my data specifically in my data in onedrive?

Henry TangSSO, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

Sold PC doing a “just remove my files” wipe - is this safe?

1. Sold PC doing a “just remove my files” wipe - is this safe? - Similar Threads - Sold doing “just

2. didn't remove windows key from my old pc which I sold. recently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    didn't remove windows key from my old pc which I sold. recently: today I should my old pc except my storage drive. but unfortunately I didn't remove my acrivation key. how to transfer my key to new computer?...
  3. wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wiped all my files: After the restart I noticed that all my files was gone, I tried restarting restarting several times because I thought it's just lagging or it will as move somewhere. Need help, cant find my files....
  4. Is it safe to remove these files?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it safe to remove these files?: Hello, I am not sure if these folders are safe to remove them it have weird names. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-remove-these-files/0a5fc350-5ecb-4679-8465-2872e4028ffc
  5. (Help needed) Selling my PC, just wiped windows and reinstalled it. Is it safe to turn off...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    (Help needed) Selling my PC, just wiped windows and reinstalled it. Is it safe to turn off...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/saucy_syrup [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kaa67f/help_needed_selling_my_pc_just_wiped_windows_and/
  6. Resetting PC, Reset Everything: Just remove my files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Resetting PC, Reset Everything: Just remove my files: So i encountered an registry error in my pc and i tried to startup repair open cmd but it requires password, but the password i provided is correct but it says error so i have no options but to reset pc. So does the option Reset Everything -> keep my files, does it remove and...
  7. Sold computer and I can't remember if I wiped all the files or not

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sold computer and I can't remember if I wiped all the files or not: So I finally sold my old prebuilt (windows 10) to move on to build my own computer today. I was happy to get rid of it and get the money, until I realized I didn't check to see if my files were erased completely before I sold it. Now I am lowkey freaking out I can't lie. So...
  8. I sold my old PC, but forgot to remove it from my MS account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I sold my old PC, but forgot to remove it from my MS account: A few weeks ago, I sold my old Windows 10 PC to a friend. The PC and (presumably) its activation key are both registered to my MS account. Before selling the PC, I reset it with the option to "Keep nothing", but now I realize I forgot to remove it from my devices. I would...
  9. Safely Remove Hardware, no longer shows safe to do.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safely Remove Hardware, no longer shows safe to do.: My Safely to Remove Hardware Icon is displayed on Taskbar. Clicking Icon, shows all hardware connected. Clicking the required hardware to be closed, now no longer shows caption that it is safe to do so. This stopped after the last close down of computer....
  10. Is it safe to remove .sys file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it safe to remove .sys file?: Hey guys my computer running out of disk space, and i would like to remove some files and its include pagefile.sys , hiberfil.sys and swapfile.sys. Is it safe to remove them? if so how to remove them? 110022