Windows 10: Solid backup software with verification, delta, and schedules?

Discus and support Solid backup software with verification, delta, and schedules? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello! *Biggrin I'm on the hunt for good backup software (or one-way syncing). How they backup isn't too important (images or directories), but there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ikjadoon, Sep 14, 2017.

1. ikjadoon Win User

Solid backup software with verification, delta, and schedules?

Hello! *Biggrin I'm on the hunt for good backup software (or one-way syncing). How they backup isn't too important (images or directories), but there are some features I'm hoping to find.

I have two 4 TB hard drives; one primary and one backup. Each day, we'll add around 30GB of data onto the primary. What's the best way to backup the primary drive onto the second? We're looking for the best reliability here.

The kinds of features that would be neat: The data is especially important, so verification is the primary feature. Because of the large size and rapid growth, delta transfers would be handy instead of needing to copy the full archive (and consequently needing to verify the whole archive). And, a schedule would be nifty, but that's not a big deal.

I considered Macrium, but it seemed a bit steep ($70)--or is that about the going price for these features? Differentials actually looked quite nice in the free version, except that by the 11th day, it'd need to copy 300GB from the first 10 days and then 30GB from the 11th. Both drives are USB 3.0 and the backups can be run overnight, but it'll be on a laptop, so a tripped power cord could kill the transfer halfway--so incrementals seem safer.

If Macrium is the one, $70 is solid. But, I just wanted to know if I missed anything else before we bought it. Cool cool cool--thank you.

:)

ikjadoon, Sep 14, 2017

2. How can I do an incremental backup on Windows 10

I do understand that it's not their core business to provide good backup software. It would be great anyway, if that was supported natively by Windows in the future. ^^

Found EaseUS Todo Backup now, it seems to be a solid free backup software, at least found good reviews about it. If it turns out to be bad software I'm gonna post it here, if not, you can assume that the program works well for incremental backups. Solid backup software with verification, delta, and schedules? ;)

So the final answer to my original question would be: Windows 10 does not natively support incremental backups.

Have a nice day y'all.

Edit: Why can't I mark my own post as answer?

Project 2718, Sep 14, 2017
  3. Delta Airlines

Hi Bandana,

To better assist you, we'd like to verify if you are referring to Fly Delta app. If yes, kindly visit

Microsoft Store
    for better assistance.

Do let us know if you have any other concerns.

Raymond Ave, Sep 14, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

+1 on the Macrium option. Has saved my bacon many times. *Thumbs

simrick, Sep 14, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    If you buy the Home version, it has unlimited differentials and incrementals.

Its best feature is Rapid Delta Restore - if you decided to revert to an image made earlier because something had gone wrong with current install, RDR basically only restores an image by difference. I screwed up my OS the other day by messing around too much, and RDR recoved pc in 3 minutes!

The paid version has Redeploy as well ie you can make an image, put it on a new pc, then use Redeploy to sort out changes drivers - it is like sysprepping but without the hassle.

Best investment I ever made!

cereberus, Sep 14, 2017
  6. Does the primary contain data ONLY? And your goal is to have the backup drive match the primary drive each time the backup application is run?

Or does the primary contain Windows?

If the former, I'd seriously consider a simple file-by-file backup app--as opposed to an imaging/cloning app.

Macrium is a great application, but it wouldn't be my first choice for data backup. As opposed to OS backup/recovery.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 14, 2017
  7. Beaupeep Win User
    Macrium Reflect without a doubt.

As a MR (Home) user since 2012, I have lost count of the times when it saved me from data loss and/or a Windows reinstall. I use MR primarily to image my C Drive. This software is worth it even when compared to heavy hitters like Storagecraft Shadow Protect (very good by expensive @ $99/license), the ubiquitous Acronis Trueimage (unreliable, so avoid), EaseUS Todo Backup (reasonably priced with a good interface but doesn't inspire the same level of confidence as MR) or even AOMEI Backupper (like EaseUS).

PS - In my experience, MR has never failed to restore an image, never. And that says it all.

Beaupeep, Sep 15, 2017
  8. Bastet Win User

Macrium Reflect has rescued me out of many a pickle since I started using it. Now I wouldn't be without it. *Smile

Bastet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Solid backup software with verification, delta, and schedules? - Similar Threads - Solid backup software

2. Scheduled Software Protection/Task Scheduler/Windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scheduled Software Protection/Task Scheduler/Windows11: Hello. I've got a problem with "Scheduled Software Protection". Every hour i getting messages in "Event Viewer" like this: First - "Offline downlevel migration succeeded" and then after 40-60 seconds i've got second - "Successfully scheduled Software Protection service for...
  3. Scheduled Software Protection/Task Scheduler/Windows11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scheduled Software Protection/Task Scheduler/Windows11: Hello. I've got a problem with "Scheduled Software Protection". Every hour i getting messages in "Event Viewer" like this: First - "Offline downlevel migration succeeded" and then after 40-60 seconds i've got second - "Successfully scheduled Software Protection service for...
  4. Scheduled backup and system imaging

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scheduled backup and system imaging: Can I do backup multiple times with schedule by system imaging without wiping out my data on the target drive everytime I did a backup via system imaging method. I'll be backing up my pc later onusing Macrium reflect, and thought I would do multiple backups in the future....
  5. Scheduled Backup of VHDX

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Scheduled Backup of VHDX: Hi there, 1st post & it doesn't appear to be a duplicate (or at least a search revealed nothing) :) I'm looking for the simplest solution to schedule automatic backups of the VHDX files of my VMs. Currently I'm just manually copying the folder once a week but it would be...
  6. Backup scheduling in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup scheduling in Windows 10: I recently purchased a Seagate 4TB external hard drive and would like to schedule it to backup files from my Windows 10 PC. However, the only option I see is with Windows 10 File History which does not provide scheduling other than several hours or daily. I used to use...
  7. Is backup software a gimmick ????

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is backup software a gimmick ????: What I understand about backup is you copy the files to another storage medium. Simply selecting the files and then copy-and-paste and then that should do it...... Why there is often what so-called backup software? They may even charge. Why do we need those software? 118784
  8. Tape backup software

Tape backup software: What are current recommendations for this please? I use an Ultrium-4 drive on a server and iSCSI connection from a booted CD to take image backups of all the machines here at home, but dd isn't the best of backup utilities *Smile I can't afford a PetaByte disk array so...
  9. Scheduling backup

Scheduling backup: Hi folks I just decided to use File history as a backup for Windows 10. I'm backing up to a 1TB Hard Drive. How can I tell File History to start the backup at a specific time each day when I'm not busy or when the computer is still active? Thanks in advance Bob H 95322
  10. Cannot Schedule Backups

Cannot Schedule Backups: Hi Forum, When I set up a daily backup, it does not occur. I can do a manual backup, and it works, but the automatic daily does not. I have daily selected, and keep forever. I have my pictures and videos set to be skipped. When I click on advanced settings, it says the...