Windows 10: Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days

Discus and support Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Storage. It's not a sexy topic. But everyone uses it in some way or another. You have iPhones, you have computers. Everyone knows how important a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, May 9, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days

Source

:)

labeeman, May 9, 2015

2. Backup of laptop running very slowly.

Installed Windows 10 update 1709 a few days ago. Having difficulty backing up system and data to a portable hard drive through usb 3.0 port. Have tried both ports and two portable hard drives. Same results. My system hard drive is not solid state. Backups
    run so slowly, it would take a couple days to perform a full backup.

DanAustin1, May 9, 2015
  3. Hard drives -Windows 10 is identifying my hard drives as solid state and cannot be defragmented

Is the drive actually a solid state drive? If it is, Windows won't let you defrag the drive since you should never defrag a solid state drive. There are a finite number of read/writes a solid state drive is designed for and defragging the drive accelerates
    the wear and tear on the drive. Since the I/O on the solid state drive is exponentially faster and there isn't any advantage to moving the data together as you would find in a spindle drive, there's no change in performance.

KeithCarter74, May 9, 2015
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

The more B. S. Department . . .*really

5. Bill Smith Department?

The article has a few flaws (lousy temp conversion That means if a solid-state drive is stored in a warm room, say 25°F (25°C), its data can last for about two years. *Wink ... 25C = 77F), but it references hard data from a very reliable source:
    http://www.jedec.org/sites/default/f...0Mode%5D_0.pdf

Any charged device will lose it's charge over time, cooler temps = less discharge.

All it means is that you need to periodically attach the device or better yet, back it up to physical media (HDD, DVD) if you plan on storing the device for prolonged periods.

Slartybart, May 9, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    *Roflmao2

I'm sure that's is exactly what Lee meant *Biggrin

Well said Bill

Dude, May 9, 2015
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Darn didn't know I was that easy of a read. . .*Roflmao2*Roflmao2

8. Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days

When SSD's first came out, I took all the hype with a grain of salt.
    I've been working with the mechanical HD's since they were still in their infancy. (back into the '60's).
    I doubt that very many on this or any forum today, would even know what an MFM or RLL drive was.

The magnetic signal stored on any media, whether it be a floppy disk or HD, will diminish with time.
    Less time with a Floppy Disk and more time with less degradation with an HD.
    Time and cosmic rays are the killer. So how much degradation of the little magnetic ones and zeros stored on a HD can we tolerate before some data loss is reported? That depends on the structure of the HD in question. Some brands of HD's are better than others.
    To combat this loss of magnetic recording strength, with time and use, I re-write my mechanical HD at least once a month or sooner.
    Besides refreshing the data in storage, it also has the effect of defragmenting the drive.

In spite of all the hype about the blazing speed of the SSD, I waited till 2015 to buy a small one, just to experiment with.
    File access speed is, of course, faster than on a mechanical HD, but......
    That date then has to flow through a standard SATA data cable, to a port on the motherboard, and into a HD controller chip, and finally to the data buss on the motherboard.
    No matter how fast the data was found by the SSD, it can't get into the CPU or RAM any faster than the SATA controller can process it. SATA I, SATA II or SATA III data transfer speeds are fixed by hardware and cannot be increased.

My little SSD really didn't seem to be any faster than my old SATA III hard drive, because both were running on a SATA II motherboard. For an SSD to really shine, it would have to be connected to a drive controller that is much faster than even a SATA III.

A possibility for the future, would be an SSD that would plug directly into a motherboard, like RAM memory.
    "Daddy, are we there yet?" ...... "No darlin' not yet!"

Cheers Mates and Happy Mother's Day!

*Cool

TechnoMage, May 9, 2015
  9. labeeman Win User
    They are here. pci-express-ssd

labeeman, May 9, 2015
  10. Gary Win User
    I guess if you live in Phoenix you are SOL.

11. Cliff S New Member
    Basically "Silent Corruption" or "Bit Rot". I posted this in same thread in 8 Forums http://www.ironmountain.com/Knowledg...orruption.aspx

Cliff S, May 9, 2015
  12. bobfrost Win User
    Hey, where have you been for the last year or so? My Samsung XP941 plugs straight into a special small slot on the motherboard. No Sata, straight into the cpu via PCIE.

Bob frost

bobfrost, May 9, 2015
  13. Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days

musiclover7, May 9, 2015
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    I have never lost data from SSDs some of which I use since 2008. And some are not being used for at least 6 months when I am on the other side of the Atlantic.

15. Mystere Win User
    Oh, please. There are more old farts here than anywhere else I've been. I'm in my mid-40's and I still remember my 5MB (yes, Megabyte) MFM ST-506.

In those days, if you let a drive sit too long, the lubricant would seize the head to platter or the bearings would seize, this was called "stiction" and you often had to hit the drive with a hammer to free it up.

Mystere, May 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days - Similar Threads - Solid state drives

2. Installing Windows on a Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows on a Solid State Drive: Hi, it's Annabelle. I am asking this question because I'm planning to install Windows 7 onto a solid state drive, which I'm putting into a brand new tower, and I'm wondering if you might have an answer for me. I have two Western Digital Black solid state drives which I've...
  3. Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solid State Drive: If I make 2 partitions on an SSD and write a lot to one of them, can that one partition fail and the other not? Does it work that way? submitted by /u/FluffyAlcatel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ubw7mp/solid_state_drive/
  4. Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drives: This is my first time without an HDD. I now have SSD. Does data on an SSD ever fragment? Am I now done with defraging my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drives/b803253f-0d3a-43af-8484-1d460d1686d5
  5. solid state and hard drives

solid state and hard drives: I have a HP Laptop 17-by3065st,os is windows 10. I have both a ssd and hdd my ssd is low on free space my hdd 1TB has plenty. is there a way to have the HDD drive D: be the primary and keep the SSD drive C: just for windows os? Thanx in advance Jim...
  6. Windows and Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows and Solid State Drives: I'm considering getting a new computer with a SSD Wil I have any difficulty installing Windows 10 on the SSD? James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-and-solid-state-drives/99be41ad-0667-49d3-9dae-c8a52ef82fb8
  7. "Trimming" a solid-state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Trimming" a solid-state drive: Every time I open the defrag app I read, "Never run" and "Needs optimizing." I run the optimizer and it reports "trimmed." But after a few days, it again says "Never run," etc. This is happening consistently. Any idea why--and whether it is cause for concern? Is the fact that...
  8. solid state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    solid state drive: After replacing my HD and installing win 10. I cant see my SSD. Had win 8 before changing HD. Where do I look? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drive/66ded83f-fb6f-4b1e-bcbb-a479c75e754d
  9. Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?: Long story short: - I bought two 12 TB WD external USB 3.0 hard drives. My plan was to back up all my data to one, and mirror that back up to another. I have been researching hard drive mirroring software. We'll call them "Main External" and "Back Up." - In the mean time, I...
  10. defragging solid state drive

defragging solid state drive: is it true that the life of your solid state drive will be shortened by using windows built-in defragging tool? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragging-solid-state-drive/49f4347c-3a15-4d5a-a7de-233c6e53349c