Windows 10: Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days

Discus and support Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Yep, Mystere. Been there, done that. Yet another old fart here, youngster! Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, May 9, 2015.

1. davehc Win User

Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days

Yep, Mystere. Been there, done that. Yet another old fart here, youngster!

davehc, May 10, 2015
  2. LEE
    Lee Win User

Hi Dave, how old is what's name sometime Techo. . .I am 70, and after three stokes I just cannot remember much of anything little own my own age must of the time. . . *cry

3. Geneo Win User
    Data loss in dormant SSD also depends on how hard they have been used. The more erase cycles, the less the data retention period. Usually quoted data retention lifetime is specified at the rated Program Erase cycles of the SSD (i.e. when the SSD can no longer be written to reliably), which is the worst case retention lifetime. This is how he JDEC SSD specification says it should specified.

http://setcom.ee/tanno/info/is/teave...ogies_2008.pdf

Geneo, May 10, 2015
  4. davehc Win User

No idea. But you surprise me. From your Avatar you don't look a day over 60. lol.

Hi Lee,
    No boast, as I am sorry to be on the way out, but I am old enough to remember when computers were things you only saw in kids comic books.
    All in my profile, no secrets needed with me.

davehc, May 10, 2015
  5. John035 Win User
    All the more reason to have multiple backups.

John035, May 11, 2015
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . . where's that horse got me a new whip. . .*Smile

7. Pendaws Win User
    Pendaws, May 11, 2015
  8. Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days

And it is only another reason to have SSD reserved for OS and apps, while all other data (including those for apps on SSD) I am keeping on a HDD. And the most important of these are baked up on another, external HDD.

EDIT: I meant "backed"*Smile

Olivir2014, May 11, 2015
  9. MilesAhead, May 11, 2015
  10. fireberd Win User
    Being a "Florida Retiree" for the last 19 years, I guess I qualify as one of the "old farts".

I have SSD's that are not powered up for a week or more and no data loss.

fireberd, May 11, 2015
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Just powered on a laptop haven't used for over 6 months -- it's fitted with a really old corsair 120 GB SSD. Powered on just fine - no data loss whatsoever.

Note the laptop's battery was totally drained so there is no question here of even a residual bit of power being applied to the SSD.
    If your device is losing data after being powered off then it's for sure 100% DEFECTIVE.

When it comes to SSD's the Bovine Scatology dept of most magazines /. articles / so called "experts" really goes into colossal mega overdrive mode. !!!

SSD's can replace conventional Spinners in almost every case without any problems whatsoever. The only two areas still lacking are for mega heavy usage (servers etc at an Enterprise level where high cost enterprise SCSI HDD's are used) and long term archive - here the limited capacity and cost of an SSD don't make it a viable option compared with other archive media.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days - Similar Threads - Solid state drives

2. Installing Windows on a Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows on a Solid State Drive: Hi, it's Annabelle. I am asking this question because I'm planning to install Windows 7 onto a solid state drive, which I'm putting into a brand new tower, and I'm wondering if you might have an answer for me. I have two Western Digital Black solid state drives which I've...
  3. Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solid State Drive: If I make 2 partitions on an SSD and write a lot to one of them, can that one partition fail and the other not? Does it work that way? submitted by /u/FluffyAlcatel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ubw7mp/solid_state_drive/
  4. Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drives: This is my first time without an HDD. I now have SSD. Does data on an SSD ever fragment? Am I now done with defraging my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drives/b803253f-0d3a-43af-8484-1d460d1686d5
  5. solid state and hard drives

solid state and hard drives: I have a HP Laptop 17-by3065st,os is windows 10. I have both a ssd and hdd my ssd is low on free space my hdd 1TB has plenty. is there a way to have the HDD drive D: be the primary and keep the SSD drive C: just for windows os? Thanx in advance Jim...
  6. Windows and Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows and Solid State Drives: I'm considering getting a new computer with a SSD Wil I have any difficulty installing Windows 10 on the SSD? James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-and-solid-state-drives/99be41ad-0667-49d3-9dae-c8a52ef82fb8
  7. "Trimming" a solid-state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Trimming" a solid-state drive: Every time I open the defrag app I read, "Never run" and "Needs optimizing." I run the optimizer and it reports "trimmed." But after a few days, it again says "Never run," etc. This is happening consistently. Any idea why--and whether it is cause for concern? Is the fact that...
  8. solid state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    solid state drive: After replacing my HD and installing win 10. I cant see my SSD. Had win 8 before changing HD. Where do I look? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drive/66ded83f-fb6f-4b1e-bcbb-a479c75e754d
  9. Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?: Long story short: - I bought two 12 TB WD external USB 3.0 hard drives. My plan was to back up all my data to one, and mirror that back up to another. I have been researching hard drive mirroring software. We'll call them "Main External" and "Back Up." - In the mean time, I...
  10. defragging solid state drive

defragging solid state drive: is it true that the life of your solid state drive will be shortened by using windows built-in defragging tool? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragging-solid-state-drive/49f4347c-3a15-4d5a-a7de-233c6e53349c