Windows 10: Solitaire from Windows XP runs fine on Windows 10

Discus and support Solitaire from Windows XP runs fine on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; There has been a lot of talk in the media about how Windows 10 "Solitaire Collection" is now adware with the option to pay an ongoing subscription fee... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MaximRecoil, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Solitaire from Windows XP runs fine on Windows 10

There has been a lot of talk in the media about how Windows 10 "Solitaire Collection" is now adware with the option to pay an ongoing subscription fee to remove the ads. I only care about two versions of Solitaire; the original and Spider Solitaire, and I only like them from XP or earlier (I don't like the newer, anti-aliased graphics of the versions included in newer versions of Windows; I much prefer the classic look which goes back to Windows 3.0).

Also, I like the XP versions of Paint and Calculator better than the Windows 10 versions as well, and those run fine too. If you replace the newer versions in system32 with the XP versions, they instantly start filling in immediately and seamlessly, as if they had always been there. For example, if you right-click an image and select "Open with ... > Paint", it will open in XP Paint without issue. Even the icons in menus get replaced with the old icons.

They are all just small, standalone .exe files, except for the original Solitaire, which is an .exe file (sol.exe) plus a .dll file (cards.dll). Just place sol.exe and cards.dll in the same folder.

Here is a screenshot of them running (right-click > view image [or whatever the equivalent of that function is in your particular browser] for fullsize):

Solitaire from Windows XP runs fine on Windows 10 [​IMG]

:)

MaximRecoil, Aug 17, 2015

2. How can I restart the same game of Spider Solitaire in Windows 10?

I just copied the .exe file from my Windows XP computer and it appears to run OK. I think that if there are any problems with XP Spider Solitaire you can run it in XP compatibility mode on a Windows 10 system. This is an option you can see by right-clicking
    the .exe file.

Nick and Bev, Aug 17, 2015
  3. XP Version of Spider Solitaire No Longer Working in Windows 10

I have been playing the Windows XP version of Spider Solitaire for many years now. I run Windows 10 on my laptop and have been using the XP version of Spider Solitaire on Windows 10 since Windows 10 was released.

Earlier this week Spider Solitaire stopped working on my Windows 10 laptop. It will not load correctly. All I see is the box that asks if I want to begin a new game.

I removed Spider Solitaire and tried to reinstall it, but with the same results. The game will no longer load and open on my computer.

I do not have, at least have not yet found someone who is still running XP on their computer, however, I do have my old XP installation disk.

I have thought about allocating 1/4 of my hard drive to XP and downloading XP on it so I will have a dual boot and then could still use XP just for the heck of it, and therefor Spider too.

All of this seems like a lot of trouble just to get Spider back and I know there must be a better way.

Has anyone else who plays XP's games run into this and what is the fix?

pulpfictionfan, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Solitaire from Windows XP runs fine on Windows 10

"Gaming" forum? I didn't know Paint and Calculator were games. This is a general discussion topic, which is why I posted it in General Discussion.

MaximRecoil, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

Solitaire from Windows XP runs fine on Windows 10

1. Solitaire from Windows XP runs fine on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Solitaire runs fine

2. Problem with Solitaire and Bonus XP.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Solitaire and Bonus XP.: There is a problem in Solitaire when a Bonus XP period, which you have won by completing Diamond challenge, expires. If you successfully complete a board later on the same day it awards a star in Position 3 instead of position 1. Complete more boards and it just keeps putting...
  3. Running a windows XP screensaver on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Running a windows XP screensaver on Windows 10: Hi everyone, I came across this forum while troubleshooting and I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I am trying to enable an old screensaver from 2005 (Win XP era) to run on my Win10 home PC. It is called Rainy Screensaver from Elastic Systems (now defunct.) I...
  4. Running a windows XP screensaver on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Running a windows XP screensaver on Windows 10: Hi everyone, I came across this forum while troubleshooting and I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I am trying to enable an old screensaver from 2005 (Win XP era) to run on my Win10 home PC. It is called Rainy Screensaver from Elastic Systems (now defunct.) I...
  5. running windows xp games on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    running windows xp games on windows 10: hi there, so im trying to run windows xp games on windows 10 the one i want to run is dinner dash and the pop cap games and i see such bad performace on windows 10 on thease games. and i have no idea why. the games flicker and randomly close i have them running on windows 10...
  6. running windows xp games on windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    running windows xp games on windows 10: hi there, so im trying to run windows xp games on windows 10 the one i want to run is dinner dash and the pop cap games and i see such bad performace on windows 10 on thease games. and i have no idea why. the games flicker and randomly close i have them running on windows 10...
  7. How to run Windows XP Solitaire on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to run Windows XP Solitaire on Windows 10: If you want to run Windows XP version of Solitaire on your Windows 10 PC, here's how: If you're using or having an old PC running Windows XP: 1. Insert USB stick or any removable device. 2. Open Windows Explorer. 3. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 4. Click the Search...
  8. Run Windows XP Application on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Run Windows XP Application on Windows 10: Hi, for the past 6-7 years I've been running an old legacy software program (AltaPoint 4.0) for my veterinary practice on Windows 7 in a virtual WINXP Environment. Just bought a new Windows 10 computer and can't find a way to download WINXP software to run in a virtual...
  9. Running XP Software in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running XP Software in Windows 10: I have software that will only run on XP. it is a database with years of contacts and text templales that I still use extensively. what is the best way to set this up under Windows 10? | read about VMware on here but my knowledge level is limited. Enongh to be...
  10. Windows 10 Networking - abomination --XP connects FINE !!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Networking - abomination --XP connects FINE !!!!: Hi there Why is it W10 networking is so random --sometimes a machine just fails to connect even though it seems identical to the rest of the network. I'm still running a "Venerable" old XP system (as a VM) that has ZERO problems connecting --and even sharing with 10 TB...