Windows 10: Solution for having windows store devices without a serial number as unique devices

Discus and support Solution for having windows store devices without a serial number as unique devices in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Here, the issue, explained: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20041110-00/?p=37343 Is there a way to "turn off" that behavior? Even better,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/StizerOfficial, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Solution for having windows store devices without a serial number as unique devices

Here, the issue, explained: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20041110-00/?p=37343

Is there a way to "turn off" that behavior? Even better, can you turn it off on a one by one device basis, so devices you know you only need one at a time will not generate multiple ghosts?

Some utilities like GhostBuster are meant to remove such duplicates. But in my case, with complex music studio routing and virtual ports, it gets annoying real quick. If I move from the studio to mobile, my USB MIDI routings do not work because of changing ports.

submitted by /u/StizerOfficial
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/StizerOfficial, Feb 24, 2021

2. Do you have a number?

Would you mind elaborate your suggestion in details?

What number are you referring to?

Why you want numbers?

Note that each Laptop and device would have unique serial numbers.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Feb 24, 2021
  3. Assign a serial number to a device through Windows to differentiate gamepads

I installed 4 Generic USB Controllers on my computer for my nephews to play together without fighting ("Generic" as I don't have to money to buy 4 official Xbox Controllers).

All controllers work perfectly independently in their games, however because they are generic chinese electronics, they all share the same configuration and changing the config for one of the controllers in Steam will change assign the same configuration for each.

As we can see in Steam/logs/controller.txt, the devices don't have serial numbers and I suspect this is what is causing all 4 to share the same configuration. On the last line, it is assigning a serial number (79-6-6151b0), but it assigns the same to each.

I'm aware the SN might be burned in the controllers' firmware thus inaccessible but still, does anyone know if there's a way to emulate a serial number at Windows level or make it so they are unique?

NaturalBornCamper, Feb 24, 2021
  4. Solution for having windows store devices without a serial number as unique devices

How to wipe / fresh USB serial numbers for devices

You can go into Device Manager and select View > Show hidden devices. Delete the duplicate devices. Below is a screenshot show disks on my system. All the greyed out entries are devices that Windows remembers but that are not currently connected. Windows remembers these devices so that when they are reconnected it can configure then in the same manner that they were previously configured.

Solution for having windows store devices without a serial number as unique devices [​IMG]

hsehestedt, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

Solution for having windows store devices without a serial number as unique devices

1. Solution for having windows store devices without a serial number as unique devices - Similar Threads - Solution having store

2. USB Serial Port in device manager without COM number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Serial Port in device manager without COM number: If I set the com number manually, the device manager will crash. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-serial-port-in-device-manager-without-com/6a65662a-0fcb-4e88-a209-4842213429c8
  3. USB Serial Port in device manager without COM number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Serial Port in device manager without COM number: If I set the com number manually, the device manager will crash. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-serial-port-in-device-manager-without-com/6a65662a-0fcb-4e88-a209-4842213429c8
  4. USB Serial Port in device manager without COM number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Serial Port in device manager without COM number: Hi, When I connect a serial device, I see the USB serial Port in the device Manager, but there is no port number assigned behind it. What is the reason?looking forward to your replythanks....
  5. USB Serial Port in device manager without COM number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Serial Port in device manager without COM number: Hi, When I connect a serial device, I see the USB serial Port in the device Manager, but there is no port number assigned behind it. What is the reason?looking forward to your replythanks....
  6. USB Serial Port in device manager without COM number

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Is the Device ID unique on Windows machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is the Device ID unique on Windows machines?: Hey guys,Has anybody encounter this:We just found 2 machines that show the same Device ID on Windows Settings=>About isn't that supposed to be unique per machine?Thanks.* Moved from Community Center...
  8. Is the Device ID unique on Windows machines?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is the Device ID unique on Windows machines?: Hey guys,Has anybody encounter this:We just found 2 machines that show the same Device ID on Windows Settings=>About isn't that supposed to be unique per machine?Thanks.* Moved from Community Center...
  9. Register a device with its serial number windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Register a device with its serial number windows 10: I just can't figure out how to register my computer bought from my sister with my Microsoft account and to make sure that the Windows 10 license is transferred to me. Here's a video of my specific problem: https://share.getcloudapp.com/GGuodr1d Thanks...
  10. How to wipe / fresh USB serial numbers for devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to wipe / fresh USB serial numbers for devices: Hi guys, I have two the same USB devices so when i connect them it says (2 - flight sound X) and (4 - flight sound X) These are sounds Adapters for headsets and only require USB plug. My problem and question is. How do i reset the numbers 2 and 4 above? Because I’ve...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot