Windows 10: Solution to optional features shows "No features to install"

Discus and support Solution to optional features shows "No features to install" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was seeing this message when attempting to install a new optional feature under Windows 10 (Settings --> Apps --> Apps & Features --> Optional... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by will-g, Jul 24, 2019.

1. will-g Win User

Solution to optional features shows "No features to install"

I was seeing this message when attempting to install a new optional feature under Windows 10 (Settings --> Apps --> Apps & Features --> Optional features --> Add a feature).

A web search led me to several other questions on this forum posted by users seeing the same message:

- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-features-to-install-under-optional-features/733c41d8-3d69-4cd4-aa37-0cb59016f587

- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-features-to-install-under-optional-features/83d8268a-26c5-4008-911a-ded2ecc30537

Unfortunately, all the answers to these questions were work arounds that explained how the user could download and install the desired feature separately. They did not actually solve the real problem: the optional feature installation appears to be broken because no features are shown. Since those old posts are locked now, I am posting the solution I found in a new discussion.

It turns out that in my case the problem is that I was logged in with a non-admin account. I always use a non-admin account for my day-to-day work to minimize the damage that can be done if I am the victim of a hacking attempt. This forces me to use enter admin credentials when I want to install software, etc. Normally this allows me to do anything I need. When attempting to install Optional features I was prompted several times for admin credentials, so at first it didn't occur to me that this might be a permissions issue. However after adding my normal user account to the local Administrators group and re-logging in I was able to see the list of optional features with no problems. So it appears that it is not sufficient to enter admin credentials when prompted. You must actually be logged in with an admin account to see the list of optional features.

I hope this helps someone.

:)

will-g, Jul 24, 2019
  2. mgrist Win User

Add a feature: "Optional Features": nothing shows

I was hoping to install the Windows Insider Hub. However when I go to "Add a feature: Optional features", there is nothing in the list. All I get is the little circular "loading" icon beneath the words "Optional features". How can I overcome this problem?

thanks!

mgrist, Jul 24, 2019
  3. fizux Win User
    No Features to Install Under Optional Features?

Same issue - looking to install ssh not a langpack. Fast track; recently completed a "fresh start" reinstall.

Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -online | ? { $_.FeatureName -like "*ssh*" } | FT

returns nothing

manage optional features > Add a feature

results in "no features to install"

any ideas?

fizux, Jul 24, 2019
  4. MaximTV Win User

No Features to Install Under Optional Features?

Same issue here. I'm trying to install Windows Media Player but the optional features page doesn't list anything available to install.

MaximTV, Jul 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Solution to optional features shows "No features to install" - Similar Threads - Solution optional features

2. Optional feature not installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optional feature not installing: My PC is having issue installing an optional feature, more specifically Japanese Supplemental Fonts. My device is an Intel NUC and before I formatted this PC, it did not have any problem installing any optional feature. Post-reset, however, the progress bar would not move...
  3. Optional feature not installing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optional feature not installing: My PC is having issue installing an optional feature, more specifically Japanese Supplemental Fonts. My device is an Intel NUC and before I formatted this PC, it did not have any problem installing any optional feature. Post-reset, however, the progress bar would not move...
  4. No optional features showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No optional features showing up: I don't know what wrong but whenever I press "add an optional feature" nothing shows up.Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-optional-features-showing-up/fd71b641-bd7a-425d-b649-484f51440be4
  5. No optional features showing up

No optional features showing up: I don't know what wrong but whenever I press "add an optional feature" nothing shows up.Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-optional-features-showing-up/fd71b641-bd7a-425d-b649-484f51440be4
  6. Windows optional features not installing any of the features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows optional features not installing any of the features: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with windows 10 pro version installed. Windows version -1903OS build- 18362.356It is not downloading any optional features.Metered connection is turned off. Still it is not downloading. I tried editing the msconfig settings . But nothing...
  7. Windows optional features not installing any of the features

Windows optional features not installing any of the features: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with windows 10 pro version installed. Windows version -1903OS build- 18362.356It is not downloading any optional features.Metered connection is turned off. Still it is not downloading. I tried editing the msconfig settings . But nothing...
  8. Windows optional features not installing any of the features

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Optional Features not showing?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Optional Features not showing?: i was going to go to optional features to get "wireless display", but when I click the "add a feature" button and search "Wireless Display", it shows me a blank screen with nothing in it. help would be appreciated. this is the same for all other features. :/...
  10. Optional Features not installing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Optional Features not installing: I'm running Windows 10 Pro N 1909 and try to install the media feature pack and media player through the optional features but it still doesn't install. Same through powershell. I've turned off metered connection. Its needed for MFS2020 as it throws up a winmovie_z error...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. optional features windows 10 no features to install

2. windows 10 1909 add a feature optional features no features to install

3. - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-features-to-install-under-optional-features/733c41d8-3d69-4cd4-aa37-0cb59016f587

4. optional features no features to install