Windows 10: SOLVED Can run apps, can't start safe-mode, Windows task bar just has a rotating icon and...

Discus and support SOLVED Can run apps, can't start safe-mode, Windows task bar just has a rotating icon and... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; 5 year old HP laptop running Win 10. It's recently started flashing the display and it's impossible to get any apps to run. This is what it looks like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bop2020, May 14, 2021.

1. Bop2020 Win User

SOLVED Can run apps, can't start safe-mode, Windows task bar just has a rotating icon and...

5 year old HP laptop running Win 10. It's recently started flashing the display and it's impossible to get any apps to run. This is what it looks like https://imgur.com/a/JelDRsO and this one https://imgur.com/a/x3RNMBd shows the taskbar. It may be an update-related issue but I can't access a roll-back. Nor can I access safe mode as mashing the F8 doesn't working any more. Plugging into an external monitor doesn't make any difference. As nothing works I can't imagine a tech could remote in. I imagine the cost of a local repair would exceed its value. However, money is rea

:)

Bop2020, May 14, 2021

2. No Icons visible in task bar, Win 10

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with icons in the Task bar after November update, do let us know the following:

• Is this issue confined only with icons in the Task bar?
    • What happens when you try to click on those icons?
    • What exactly do you mean by: "they are there but not visible"?

Method 1: If you are referring to showing up of different icons in Task in System tray, I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key from the Keyboard, type
      Turn system icons On or Off
      and select it.
    • Try to turn on the icons that are visible.

Method 2:

Step 1: If not, I suggest you to place the computer in safe mode and check if the icons are visible to access.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: This issue might have occurred due to corrupted or missing system files after the update. I suggest you to place the computer in normal mode and try to perform SFC scan.

Steps: Place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.
    • Type msconfig and press
      Enter
    • In the System Configuration
      window, click on General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as Normal startup, click on Apply and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Perform SFC scan, System File Checkeris a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin)
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue with required information, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 14, 2021
  3. No Start Menu and Problems with Task Icons

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue

• Clicking on the start menu icon (left click) does nothing, Right click brings up a simple function list

You can try these steps:
      • Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
      • Click File > Run New Task
      • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
      • Type Powershell
      • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
      • Close the Powershell window
      • Reboot

• Clicking on the File Explorer icon (task bar) does nothing. Right click does nothing.

• Right clicking on any task bar icon, including open apps, does nothing
    For these issues you can try these steps:

Method 1: I suggest you to run the SFC scan and check if it helps.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files: (Windows Logo Key + X and then click on Command Prompt).

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

• Several apps (Mozilla Thunderbird, Norton 360 specifically, have not been able to have been updated or re-installed. Norton support, using remote desktop app, gave up after 4+ hours of work today.

For this issue I would suggest you to run the app in compatibility mode

I would request to refer this link

Explore Windows 10 OS, Computers, Apps, & More | Microsoft

Hope it helps. Keep us posted if you face any issues related to Windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thank you

Rajeshwari_Patil, May 14, 2021
  4. Xylee Del Win User

SOLVED Can run apps, can't start safe-mode, Windows task bar just has a rotating icon and...

Windows 10 Apps are Invisible in the Task Bar

Hello Lumumba,

We appreciate the details that you've provided. Based on your description, some application icons are still missing after resetting the icon cache. This is most likely a corrupted system file issue. For us to help you with this, kindly answer the following
    questions for further research:

• Have you made any recent changes on your Windows 10 prior to this issue?
    • What is the current build and version number of your Windows 10? To check, press the Windows key, type winver, and press the Enter key.
    • Do you have another user account? Are you also experiencing the same issue on another user account?
    • Have you tried pinning the applications on the task bar? Are they still invisible? If not, are they still visible after a reboot?

Meanwhile, we suggest that pin some applications on the task bar and proceed to

safe mode
    . Please verify if there will be any changes or if the task bar icons will still be visible.

Kindly get back to us.

Xylee Del, May 14, 2021
Thema:

1. SOLVED Can run apps, can't start safe-mode, Windows task bar just has a rotating icon and... - Similar Threads - SOLVED run apps

2. Icons on Start Bar/Task bar NOT showing properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons on Start Bar/Task bar NOT showing properly: i have just upgraded to Windows 11 pro 64 bit via an ISO install. So a fresh Windows 11 OS on the PC. Running 21H2 OS Bld 22000.8561. Have 2 users one local Admin account as an administator. And then my MS account which is my User account. At the RH end of the bottom bar...
  3. Icons on Start Bar/Task bar NOT showing properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons on Start Bar/Task bar NOT showing properly: i have just upgraded to Windows 11 pro 64 bit via an ISO install. So a fresh Windows 11 OS on the PC. Running 21H2 OS Bld 22000.8561. Have 2 users one local Admin account as an administator. And then my MS account which is my User account. At the RH end of the bottom bar...
  4. Can run apps, can't start safe-mode, Windows task bar just has a rotating icon and the...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can run apps, can't start safe-mode, Windows task bar just has a rotating icon and the...: 5 year old HP laptop running Win 10. It's recently started flashing the display and it's impossible to get any apps to run. This is what it looks like https://imgur.com/a/JelDRsO and this one https://imgur.com/a/x3RNMBd shows the taskbar. It may be an update-related issue...
  5. Error with start icon on task bar

in Cortana
    Error with start icon on task bar: I have a Lenovo ideapad, The cursor hovers over the start button on the task bar however, it doesn't allow me to continue. It also doesn't allow me to type in the box where it states 'type here to search' - I am able to open my documents that are on my taskbar. I have...
  6. app icon “stuck”to the task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    app icon “stuck”to the task bar: I can't unpin the app icon from the taskbar. When I click on the "unpin” button, nothing happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-icon-stuckto-the-task-bar/2551c9ea-33eb-4379-8858-e5085f92aec8
  7. app icon “stuck”to the task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    app icon “stuck”to the task bar: I can't unpin the app icon from the taskbar. When I click on the "unpin” button, nothing happens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-icon-stuckto-the-task-bar/6d77ff6b-585d-4c4c-8238-b057d9d560dc
  8. need to safely eject USB icon on task bar

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    need to safely eject USB icon on task bar: I need to safely eject my USB device and I need the icon on my task bar. I had it before but now it is gone. Please help Mary Termeteet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-safely-eject-usb-icon-on-task-bar/c62e9912-f0ec-4e8e-88dd-079f9982d5cb
  9. Windows not starting up apps or task bar

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows not starting up apps or task bar: So, i reatarted my computer since i i ke disconnecting whenever i would play a multiplayer game, but when i load up the computer, no apps are loading, along with the task bar. I have searched up the problem on Google and found no results. Every time i would click the task bar...
  10. small app icons at the task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    small app icons at the task bar: [img] As you can see in the picture, my store icon is surrounded by my theme color, and the real icon is very small This appears on other store apps like music, calc...etc what can I do at this situation??? 27062