Windows 10: SOLVED: Can't get Open Shell to show Win 7-type Start Menu

Discus and support SOLVED: Can't get Open Shell to show Win 7-type Start Menu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've used Open Shell a few times before, and once I set the Start Menu Style to "Classic style" (one column) and rebooted, I got just what I wanted.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Thenin, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Thenin Win User

SOLVED: Can't get Open Shell to show Win 7-type Start Menu

I've used Open Shell a few times before, and once I set the Start Menu Style to "Classic style" (one column) and rebooted, I got just what I wanted. But I just finished an in-place repair install and did the same thing again, I simply cannot get the Classic Start Menu. Instead, it shows the extremely unwanted and horrible Metro app style menu. I've reset the settings to the default and then re-enabled the Classic start menu style (with reboot) several times, and it still always shows the Metro crap.
    I tried importing my Open Shell settings from a working system, but that didn't work. I also tried Winaero Tweaker v13 and set everything appropriately, and when that didn't work either, I tried importing the Winaero settings from a working system, but that didn't work either!Would you knowledgeable folks please try to help me out? Thanks!

64-bit Windows Pro Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.592)

:)

Thenin, Mar 12, 2021
  2. rk3066 Win User

In Win.7 is there a Classic Start Menu/Button

Hi,

I'm on Windows Vista at the moment using Opera Browser and I has the nice Start Menu and i'm wondering if there is a program to add a modified Menu cause Win.7 don't have it. I tried Classic Shell it worked but it isn't like the Original Menu with the Microsoft Logo on the left

rk3066, Mar 12, 2021
  3. RoyDen Win User
    how make open shell start menu icon overwrite w10 start menu

Lance1
    I installed Open Shell 4.4.142. No change.

Any other suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Steve C

Mouse Hover (under Control Tab) does nothing. I hover over the W10 Start menu icon and nothings happens.

Then I changed all options to Open-Shell Menu. Nothing changes.

I want the W10 start menu icon replaced by the Open Shell menu like it worked for classic shell in W7.
    I do not even want to see the W10 start menu.

Any other suggestions?

RoyDen, Mar 12, 2021
  4. Steve C Win User

how make open shell start menu icon overwrite w10 start menu

I have these set - you need to log out and in for the changes to apply.

SOLVED: Can't get Open Shell to show Win 7-type Start Menu [​IMG]

SOLVED: Can't get Open Shell to show Win 7-type Start Menu [​IMG]

Steve C, Mar 12, 2021
Thema:

1. SOLVED: Can't get Open Shell to show Win 7-type Start Menu - Similar Threads - SOLVED Can't Open

2. Open shell menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open shell menu: Anyone know if Open Shell Menu will work in win 11 ? 181208
  3. Insert Separator into Open Shell Start Menu?

Insert Separator into Open Shell Start Menu?: Windows 10 20H2 I'm not sure how to check the version number of Open Shell that's running on my system. In the help file it says "Version 4.3.1 general release." I'd like to insert a separator line into the Open Shell Start Menu. I was warned against posting in the Open Shell...
  4. Open Shell: Change Start Menu Colors?

Open Shell: Change Start Menu Colors?: Hi, I'm new to Windows 10 and haven't been able to make sense of the its Start menu, so I just installed Open Shell. The default Start menu has white letters on a black background, which is hard on my aging eyeballs. I'd like to change it to black letters on a light gray...
  5. Classic Shell/Open Shell users.... cant move/modify start menu items?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Classic Shell/Open Shell users.... cant move/modify start menu items?: So ive been using classic shell and its new incarnation for years. I have had it running on my two workhorses and figured its time to shove it over to my laptop. I did so, but for some reason when I try to move shortcuts into a new folder etc, I'm greeted with "Destination...
  6. how make open shell start menu icon overwrite w10 start menu

how make open shell start menu icon overwrite w10 start menu: New to this forum so may not get this process right. I have Open Shell (v4.4.131) installed. Works fine but I have to click the start menu button a few time to get the classic two columns menu on the screen. The W10 start menu is not hidden and comes up first. The classic...
  7. how make open shell start menu icon overwrite w10 start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    how make open shell start menu icon overwrite w10 start menu: New to this forum so may not get this process right. I have Open Shell (v4.4.131) installed. Works fine but I have to click the start menu button a few time to get the classic two columns menu on the screen. The W10 start menu is not hidden and comes up first. The classic...
  8. Can't type in start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type in start menu?: After Windows automatically restart to install their amazing new update, I can no longer type in the start menu. I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana and running ctfmon.exe, but none of it has worked. This issue only started when...
  9. SOLUTION - Start menu disappears, start menu will not open [Solved]

in Windows 10 Customization
    SOLUTION - Start menu disappears, start menu will not open [Solved]: PROBLEM STATEMENT: All of the sudden one day the Start Menu in Win 10 stopped working, clicking the button or pressing the Win key had no effect. After spending hours exploring all manner of weird and wonderful *hacks* on the Internets to no effect I have stumbled across...
  10. Can't open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open start menu: I can't open my start menu and when I try to open some stuff. It happened a week ago when I was away from pc *Mad Screen capture - 4d26d594ea04bc174b8336a6835b92d8 - Gyazo P.s when my mouse is over the win button i am pressing. 20768