Windows 10: SOLVED: Can't write to networked Win 10 PC

Discus and support SOLVED: Can't write to networked Win 10 PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; EDIT: I rebooted the Win 10 PC and now the permission stick. I do not remember ever seeing that was needed. I am on a Win 7 64 bit PC, wirelessly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by OldNick, Jan 21, 2018.

1. OldNick Win User

SOLVED: Can't write to networked Win 10 PC

EDIT: I rebooted the Win 10 PC and now the permission stick. I do not remember ever seeing that was needed.

I am on a Win 7 64 bit PC, wirelessly networked to a Win 10 Laptop PC.

I can see the other PC (at last) and can take data from it to my machine. But I can't send data to the other PC in any form: by editing a file, by copy and paste, etc.

I am logged in as Nick, with a password and Admin status (I assume: in all the setup mess I cannot remember if I was asked, although I have set up a passworded User called Nick on the Win 10 machine). So I have given that user Full Control (which seems to include Ownership) of the C: folder. In case I am NOT logged on as Nick, but just a User, I gave everything Full control. When I gave Full Control to simple Users, there were some errors in some sub-folders, but Full Control still shows.

I tried a batch file in Cmd Prompt that says :
    SET DIRECTORY_NAME=C:\TAKEOWN /f %DIRECTORY_NAME% /r /d yICACLS %DIRECTORY_NAME% /grant administrators:F /tPAUSE

This ran successfully, but made no difference.

I tried turning off Passworded File Sharing in All Networks _and_ Private Networks: that seemed to actually _stop_ me from even loggng on to the Win 10 machine (??).

I know it sounds as if I have not tried many things, but this all took a lot of shuffling back and forth and learning _how_ to do each thing and so on.

I would vastly appreciate any help.

Nick

:)

OldNick, Jan 21, 2018

2. Win 7 SR1 machine can't access folders/files on Win 10 machine - one-way communications only.

I have a home network that has two Win 7 SR1 PCs and a laptop upgraded with Win 10. The Win 10 laptop can access the Win 7 PCs' folders/files as one would expect but will not work in the opposite direction. When I attempt to go from the Win 7 platform
    to the Win 10 platform I get "Access denied" or "You need owner permission/contact your administrator." I have checked and rechecked file and device settings for sharing. I am not interested in using the cloud (the two Win 7 platforms can't access the cloud
    anyway plus I have 6Tb of network attached storage). All platforms seem to be able to read and write to the NAS devices and there is bi-directional communication with network printers and other devices. Any solutions out there for getting the Win 7 platforms
    to read and write on the Win 10 platform?

Steven A.Gardner, Jan 21, 2018
  3. Running WIN 10 Pro, can't see other computer on network.

Running WIN 10 Pro, can't see one of my computers on the network. How do I solve the problem with these two computers?

TIA Don

Don Begezda, Jan 21, 2018
Thema:

SOLVED: Can't write to networked Win 10 PC

1. SOLVED: Can't write to networked Win 10 PC - Similar Threads - SOLVED Can't write

2. SOLVED Windows 10 "Can't connect to this network" on 5GHz WiFi.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SOLVED Windows 10 "Can't connect to this network" on 5GHz WiFi.: SOLVEDHello, my issue is that whenever I try to connect to the 5GHz version of my WiFi network, I get the error "Can't connect to this network" but I can connect to my 2.4GHz WiFi network just fine. I found a solution, it's to run the network adapter troubleshooter, Settings...
  3. Win/Mac network USB Drive Reat-Write Glitch

Win/Mac network USB Drive Reat-Write Glitch: I have a DOCSIS 3.0 Arris Surfboard Cable Modem\wireless router gateway, Model SBG6900-ac. If I plug a 233GB, newly NTFS-formatted thumb drive into its USB port, the USB drive appears on the Windows Network as a 'network drive' like this: Network\Arris-LGW\USBStorage ...and...
  4. Can't write or format CD-R on Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't write or format CD-R on Win 10: I see lots of others withe the same problem but no solution. I tried uninstalling the drive and re-booting, also updating driver and troubleshooting. No help --same on all three of my laptops. The CD drives can read files fine, but when I insert a blank CD-R windows says...
  5. Win 10 PC can't see itself under Network Folder

Win 10 PC can't see itself under Network Folder: I remote support family computers. There are two computers PC-1 and PC-2 on a home LAN. Both PCs list PC-2 under their Network Folder but neither list PC-1. However, a UNC path works as PC-2 can access \\PC-1\c$. I'm trying to get PC-1 to list itself under Network. PC Specs...
  6. Win 10 PC can't see itself under Network Folder

Win 10 PC can't see itself under Network Folder: I remote support family computers using TeamViewer. This problem has two computers PC-1 and PC-2 on a home LAN. Neither PC-1 or PC-2 see PC-1 under Network Folder. Both PCs see PC-2 under Network. I'm trying to get PC-1 to see itself under Network. Although neither computer...
  7. Win 10 PC not visible on network

Win 10 PC not visible on network: After Win 7 upgraded to WIN 10 1909, it is not visible on network. Restarting Function Discovery Resource Publication solves the problem. But next restart of PC results in the PC no longer being visible. Greatly appreciate any ideas!!...
  8. Windows 10 Updates - SOLVED - Can't see network pc's on all machines

Windows 10 Updates - SOLVED - Can't see network pc's on all machines: The issue is this: when windows are installed, the network configured, and pc join the same work group, turns out that some of them are not visible, even if PC is well configured. The reason, there are several network profiles and the same windows creates them sometimes and...
  9. Win 10 viewing Win 10 pc's on Home Network Solved

Win 10 viewing Win 10 pc's on Home Network Solved: This seems to be an issue every time Microsoft comes out with an update. or you have done a fresh install or upgrade. Fortunately I do read older posts and found the solution, but it seems a lot of confusion is still prevalent in 2018. Here's a picture with my network only...
  10. Can't write to folders from network after upgrading to Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't write to folders from network after upgrading to Win 10: I upgraded a workstation to Win 10 Pro. The system, System X, has two admin users, A and B. A is logged on to System X. Volume C is shared from the root on System X, and all admins on the system have permissions to Share C with full control. B is logged on to another system,...