Windows 10: Solved: Defaulting an App of your choice to open when you click on a specific file type...

Discus and support Solved: Defaulting an App of your choice to open when you click on a specific file type... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Here is a one-time process to default a specific app to open with a specific type of file when your app of choice is not in the "Default apps" list.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Darryl R_fromPA, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Solved: Defaulting an App of your choice to open when you click on a specific file type...

Here is a one-time process to default a specific app to open with a specific type of file when your app of choice is not in the "Default apps" list.

Explained by Example: Let's say you want to default text files to open with Notepad++, but in "Default Apps" the only choices are Notepad and WordPad.

From "File Explorer", Right-Click on the File_Name.txt and Select "Open With" and Select "Choose another app".

Then the, "How do you want to open this file?" dialog box, pops up. Click on, "More apps [down-arrow]".

After you clicked on "More apps [down-arrow]", a bigger list of apps should be displayed.

Check the "Always use this app to open [.fileType] files" check-box. Scroll to the bottom and Click, "Look for another app on this PC".

Browse to your app's .exe and double-click it (or left-click and then click the Open button).

Your file will open in the app you selected, and from now on all files of that type will open with that app. In this case, all text files will open with Notepad++. Hurray!

:)

Darryl R_fromPA, Jul 16, 2019
  2. Mithin_EJ Win User

Unable to alter default apps for opening files to specific applications

Hi Keegan Sanchez,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

I would like you to try the following steps:

· On the start menu, select settings.

· Select Apps and then select Default apps.

· To choose a default apps for each file type (for example, .mp3 files), scroll down to the file type and click on the app which is currently set as default.

· You will see the list of all the applications which can be associated with that file type. You may chose the application from that list.

Try with the above steps, and let us know, if you can alter default apps opening files, we look forward for your reply.

You can also refer this link:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028161/windows-10-change-default-programs

Hope it helps,

Mithin EJ

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mithin_EJ, Jul 16, 2019
  3. app default setting by file type

Hi Richard,

We understand that you're having issues with the default file app association on your computer. To assist you with your concern, you may refer to the steps below on how to change the default setting of your application:

• In Search Windows textbox, search for choose a default app for each type of file and set .PDF and any other file extensions to point to your choice for default
      programs. Do not use Adobe Reader to set the association.
    • Navigate to %systemroot%\system32 and locate the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file. Make a backup of it just in case.
    • Open the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file and keep it open using
      Notepad.exe.
    • Open PowerShell or CMD and run it as Administrator.
    • Enter the following: Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\AppAssoc.xml
    • Open C:\AppAssoc.xml with Notepad.exe
    • Copy the entire contents of AppAssoc.xml and replace the entire content of OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Save OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Delete C:\AppAssoc.xml (optional).

After doing the steps, you may now change the default file app association for opening .pdf.

Do update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Stephanie Sal, Jul 16, 2019
  4. Solved: Defaulting an App of your choice to open when you click on a specific file type...

App to open .c6e0ec and .e8d549184 files

Hi Hitkary,

It seems that there is no default app set to open these kind of files. Can you still recall the type of app or program that opens this kind of file?

For us to isolate this issue, we suggest assigning a default app or program to open it. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings and click System.
    • Click Default apps.
    • At the bottom, click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Scroll down and look for the .e8d549184 file.
    • Once found, click the + sign on the right and select the app you want to use.

Once you've successfully set the default app, try opening the file again and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

Solved: Defaulting an App of your choice to open when you click on a specific file type...

1. Solved: Defaulting an App of your choice to open when you click on a specific file type... - Similar Threads - Solved Defaulting App

2. Unable to open with or set default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open with or set default app for file type: Windows 10 Pro 64-bitVersion: 20H2OS Build: 19042.1052Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0I want to double click on a *.jpg file from my phone and have it open in Chrome.1 - Right clicking results in no "open with" option:2 - Default app for "photo...
  3. Default Apps for a file type

Default Apps for a file type: Please provide and easy way to have a default "Open" program for a file, and a separate "Edit" program for a file! For example, I want to have a jpg file open by default with the standard Photos app, but when you right click to "Edit" the file, I want to assign that to a...
  4. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  5. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default apps by file type: In the default apps by file type, My dad accidentally click the internet explorer as a default app "opener" for a PPT File. And I wanted to restore it back to the default setting but there has no setting for it, and the only solution for that is to find another app in the...
  6. change the default app to open a file type

change the default app to open a file type: How do I change the default app to open a .wpd document file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-app-to-open-a-file-type/6cb7b0b6-d967-4f4b-9d18-8ad6651abac0
  7. default app for file type

default app for file type: I entered improper default app for file type. How do I delete the incorrect one. I have gone to Settings>Apps>Default App>scrolled to bottom and selected Choose Default App by File Type. New window appears and I scroll down to the file type which is .pdf. I somehow...
  8. Default app for file type

Default app for file type: every time I want to make illustrator the default app for the .ai files, it doesn't do anything, is there something I'm doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-app-for-file-type/7657bc77-b72c-4789-872e-de300c6783ef
  9. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...
  10. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...