Windows 10: SOLVED! DEFENDER service missing - guide to reinstall it with a proper values in registry

Discus and support SOLVED! DEFENDER service missing - guide to reinstall it with a proper values in registry in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I'll be quick I can't turn on windows defender in services msc - it's grayed out i have admin privileges, adding 2nd admin doesn't help... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Alicja Unknown, Aug 19, 2020.

1. SOLVED! DEFENDER service missing - guide to reinstall it with a proper values in registry

Hi,

I'll be quick

I can't turn on windows defender in services msc - it's grayed out

i have admin privileges, adding 2nd admin doesn't help

there's no disableantispyware in reg policies

there is no "Windows Defender Antivirus" in gped, like a whole 'folder'

in old control panel, when i click "windows defender" - "use recommended settings" i get error 0x80070422

and of course when i go to Windows Security windows and to virus and threat protection, it says it is turned off, if i use the "restart" button, there's a pretty nice window saying "unexpected error, there is a problem, try again later"

I can't write how many "useful" solution ive tried, nothing works bc either it doesnt or i cant follow the instruction, because for ex i dont have win def antivirus in policies SOLVED! DEFENDER service missing - guide to reinstall it with a proper values in registry :D

Last time i had this problem, clean installation was the fastest way, but i can't solve it like that now

also i've used adwcleaner / hitman pro and malwarebytes, hitman pro turned on task manager it was blocked, so maybe virus? and later windows was unable to uninstall malwarebytes weird

Please help, sorry for mistakes, i'm from poland and also i use polish language in windows, so the error message was translated by me, words may differ

Thank you in advance for patience, understanding and your help <3

edit: ive done sfc scan and restore health in cmd - nada

:)

Alicja Unknown, Aug 19, 2020
  2. Borg 386 Win User

windows defender & security center services keep turning off

Are you running any other AV or did you have one running in the past? If you didn't use an uninstaller for the AV, then the remnants of it could be causing the problem. Normally any time you install an AV it disables Defender by default.

If you are getting any error codes please list those, that will be helpful in helping you.

As torre suggested, might be a good idea to do a reset or even a reinstall.

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

There are also some suggestions listed here:

Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Borg 386, Aug 19, 2020
  3. jarmst Win User
    Windows Defender Error 1058: can't start service

I've seen posts regarding similar behavior for Windows 7, but not for Windows 10. I've tried a few of the steps but some of them (like specific registry key updates) are not applicable, since the registry seems different than previous versions.

Symptoms

• Windows Defender always fails to start, gives "Error 1058"
    • Under Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender, every option is greyed out
    • Can't manually start the "Security Center" service
      • Initially set to "Disabled"
      • Change setting to "Automatic," start service manually
      • After a short time, it reverts back to "Disabled"
    Troubleshooting Steps

• Performed virus/malware removal
      • Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, HitmanPro, AdwCleaner, Kaspersky's TDSS Removal, Bitdefender, Spybot
      • Individually installed, scanned, and removed each
      • Found some adware/viruses that were removed
      • Nothing shows up in any scans now (seems like everything active was removed)
    • Checked Group Policy Editor/registry key for the "Disable Windows Defender" setting
      • Made sure everything was set to "enable" Defender
      • Still see symptoms
    • sfc /scannow
      • Showed some errors that couldn't be resolved
      • Seems to be missing critical files in the running and backup file list
      • I have the CBS.log that was ran immediately before posting; not sure how to attach it or if I should include a snippet
      • EDIT: just re-looked through the log output, seems like most of the "check failed" errors were for different shortcut files (Task Scheduler, etc.). Not sure how applicable this is now
    Possible Solutions

• Download + reinstall Windows Defender to replace missing files
      • Not sure if this is even possible, given that it's a core system component in W10
    • Restore Registry keys back to default settings
      • Virus seems to have messed up several places
      • Nothing specific to Windows 10 online for getting Windows Defender back to stock in registry

jarmst, Aug 19, 2020
  4. SOLVED! DEFENDER service missing - guide to reinstall it with a proper values in registry

How reinstall windows defender

Hello LucianN1, my name is Irisdiel and I am an independent advisor.

I suggest you follow the instructions down below.

Step 1: Enable Windows defender from control panel

1. Press Windows + X, Click on control panel.

2. On right top corner click on View and then choose large items.

3. Now from the list click on Windows Defender and try to enable it.

If not try to enable it from services.

Step 2: Enable Window defender from services.msc.

1. Press Windows + R, to open run prompt.

2. Type services.msc and press enter to open services list.

3. Under services look from Windows defender service and start the service.

I also suggest you refer to the link down below.

URL:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/for...

Hope this helps!

Thank you and good luck,

Regards- .

Irisdiel H, Aug 19, 2020
Thema:

SOLVED! DEFENDER service missing - guide to reinstall it with a proper values in registry

1. SOLVED! DEFENDER service missing - guide to reinstall it with a proper values in registry - Similar Threads - SOLVED DEFENDER service

2. Invalid Value for Registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid Value for Registry: Hi, I have been away on Hiliday for a few days. Tonight, when I try to open my photos .jpeg and .CR2files I get a message "Invalid Value for Registry". I was recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11....
  3. Invalid Value for Registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invalid Value for Registry: Hi, I have been away on Hiliday for a few days. Tonight, when I try to open my photos .jpeg and .CR2files I get a message "Invalid Value for Registry". I was recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11....
  4. Windows defender is missing from registry and services. How do I reinstall it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender is missing from registry and services. How do I reinstall it?: My windows defender is somehow missing from services and registry. When I try open windows security, I am stuck on a blank screen. How do I reinstall or get windows defender working again?...
  5. Windows defender is missing from registry and services. How do I reinstall it?

Windows defender is missing from registry and services. How do I reinstall it?: My windows defender is somehow missing from services and registry. When I try open windows security, I am stuck on a blank screen. How do I reinstall or get windows defender working again?...
  6. Undoing registry values

Undoing registry values: I don't know what I've changed ik i should have created a restore point first so I'm wondering if I can just skip the restore step and go to the sfc /scannow part which I've seen listed as plan b. Basically wondering if I can just skip to step 2 as step 1 cannot be done ever....
  7. Invalid value for registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid value for registry: A few months ago, I noticed that, out of nowhere, some preinstalled apps refused to open. The ones I can list off the top of my head are- notepad- calculator- photos- the media player for audio- the microsoft store- the snipping toolWhen I try to open a file using an app like...
  8. invalid value for registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    invalid value for registry: I can't open videos or photos, I've check solutions to this problem but none worked. [ATTACH] one of the websites that I've checked said that I should have Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe. registry but when I checked it in registry editor I didn't see any....
  9. registry return value

in Windows 10 Customization
    registry return value: hello Champs, I use one app to return a value in the browser in the following form: the registry entry is now: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" %1 the result in the IE browser is: http://SR:123456789/ is it possible to change the registry entry so that it...
  10. Invalid value for registry.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Invalid value for registry.: Hi, I would like to know if there is a possible way to disable the Windows auto update function indefinitely. Eventough I keep disabling them in the Windows Update Settings, somehow the computer end up updating windows again which results being a problem. I am a Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender missing even after reinstall windows 10