Windows 10: (SOLVED) How can I backup files I am going to overwrite in a folder?

Discus and support (SOLVED) How can I backup files I am going to overwrite in a folder? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I just downloaded a sound replacement pack for a game (Terraria), containing 200~ replacements for the 400~ available sound effects. I want to backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by MetalTxus, Jan 3, 2019.

1. MetalTxus Win User

(SOLVED) How can I backup files I am going to overwrite in a folder?

I just downloaded a sound replacement pack for a game (Terraria), containing 200~ replacements for the 400~ available sound effects. I want to backup just the files to be replaced and I realized I don't know how.

I could theoretically backup them one by one, checking their filenames, but I wanna believe there has to be a better way.

I'm open to any type of solution as long as it works and is an improvement over the tedious way previously mentioned.

:)

MetalTxus, Jan 3, 2019
  2. qubit Win User

[Solved] Need replacement backup program

SEE UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST

Been using Karen's Replicator for over a decade to make mirror backups and it's been flawless, but now the program doesn't work properly any more - and the problem is unfixable - so I need a replacement and would be grateful for suggestions.

(SOLVED) How can I backup files I am going to overwrite in a folder? ptreplicator.gif

The problem is with destination folder creations and deletions. For deletions it fails silently, leaving the folder there. For creations (ie exists on source, but not destination) it pauses for a couple of seconds for every file in the missing folder and carries on. When the backup is complete, the log file shows that it couldn't find the missing folder and there's an entry for every file that it couldn't copy. The error is real, since the missing folder isn't created.

After much frantic Googling, it turns out that Windows 10 patch KB4015217 is apparently the culprit. However, reading the changelog gives no clue about the problem.

KR is written in VB6 and hasn't been updated since 2009 because the developer, Karen Kenworthy, died in 2011 so it will never be fixed. Running it in any of the compatibility modes or as an administrator doesn't fix it, either. Neither does setting the security permissions to allow the Everyone group full access. It's just broken hard.

I guess a temporary workaround might be to run KR under W7 in a virtual machine and allow that VM access to the drives, but that's messy and I can't be bothered to set it up.

I've found people suggesting several backup programs to replace KR, such as ones at the links below, but I'd like to know what you use and recommend. I need a program that can handle backing up to a network location and crucially, must be capable of creating a mirror backup. That's a backup that looks identical to the source, so files and folders are created and deleted as necessary to make them identical. Note that exception rules must be possible too, such as missing out the pagefile, temp files etc.

The best free backup software 2019 | TechRadar

https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

Free File Synchronization, Backup, Data Replication, PC Sync Software, Freeware, File Sync, Data Synchronization Software | Allway Sync – File Synchronization That Works

UPDATE 16SEP17

There's a workaround for this problem here. Once the updated version is out, the problem should be properly fixed.

UPDATE 15DEC17

Problem is completely solved. See my update here.

qubit, Jan 3, 2019
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile (SOLVED) How can I backup files I am going to overwrite in a folder? :)

Frogger, Jan 3, 2019
  4. (SOLVED) How can I backup files I am going to overwrite in a folder?

Windows automatic backups overwrote my files

I am not aware of any backup process overwriting existing backup data without first asking the user for approval. How did you establish that this really happened? If there is any room for doubt then I suggest you do this:

1. Log on under an admin account.
    2. Create a desktop shortcut for cmd.exe.
    3. Right-click it, then left-click Run as Administrator
    4. Accept the challenge. You will get a black frame.
    5. Type this command and press Enter. It assumes that E: is your backup drive.

dir E:\ /s /a /b > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Files.txt"
    6. Double-click the desktop file Files.txt. Examine it and check whether it contains any files that you believe to be lost. Post the result here.

Frederik Long, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

(SOLVED) How can I backup files I am going to overwrite in a folder?

1. (SOLVED) How can I backup files I am going to overwrite in a folder? - Similar Threads - SOLVED backup files

2. How can i solve this?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can i solve this?: wuaueng.dll 5376,D,0 SUS20ClientDataStore: A request to write to the file "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log" at offset 540672 0x0000000000084000 for 4096 0x00001000 bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time 16 seconds to be serviced by the OS....
  3. How can i solve this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i solve this?: wuaueng.dll 5376,D,0 SUS20ClientDataStore: A request to write to the file "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log" at offset 540672 0x0000000000084000 for 4096 0x00001000 bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time 16 seconds to be serviced by the OS....
  4. How can i solve this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i solve this?: Hello sir,I am facing this blue screen error and I don't know why. I was using my PC as usual and suddenly my PC freezed I can't do anything can't move the mouse or use the keyboard, I restarted the PC from restart button in my case and it worked but again freezed. This...
  5. How Can I solve this

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Can I solve this: Everytime I open my windows this window prompts..how can I solve this guys..This is so much irritating https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-solve-this/8b3a4c07-5241-45bf-9727-00e818e312fb
  6. How Can I solve this

How Can I solve this: Everytime I open my windows this window prompts..how can I solve this guys..This is so much irritating https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-solve-this/8b3a4c07-5241-45bf-9727-00e818e312fb
  7. How can i solve it ?

How can i solve it ?: Afafter reset my pc stuck at this screen i dont have a w10 USB or another computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-solve-it/21520675-c015-4bca-a830-29a1095a0311
  8. How can I solved it

How can I solved it: The message says "This is a problem on our side. There is no problem with the customer." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-solved-it/47741792-c05c-4ebd-931f-7764675ba3a9
  9. How can I backup just the files I am going to overwrite in a folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I backup just the files I am going to overwrite in a folder?: I just downloaded a sound replacement pack for a game (Terraria), containing 200~ replacements for the 400~ available sound effects. I want to backup just the files to be replaced and I realized I don't know how. I could theoretically backup them one by one, checking their...
  10. How can i solve this !!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can i solve this !!!: Attachment 35386 This appears to me , when i turn on the computer and then disappears.Does someone knows how to fix this,i will be gratfull. 20851