Windows 10: Solved - More NAS issues.

Discus and support Solved - More NAS issues. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to set up a NAS to be accessible on a Windows 10 box. Looking around, I see I'm far from the only one having issues with this sort of thing.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rashkavar, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Rashkavar Win User

Solved - More NAS issues.

I'm trying to set up a NAS to be accessible on a Windows 10 box. Looking around, I see I'm far from the only one having issues with this sort of thing.

It's a new device (well, newly installed, anyway) - a D-Link DNS-320L that's hopefully going to be the backup device for all three of us. I'm running a Windows 7 computer, and aside from a slight issue getting it to format (stupid program times out at a seemingly random interval, so you just have to keep running the format until it works), everything worked fine. Then I moved on to my Dad's computer, which runs Windows 10.

He looked for the NAS to set it up himself, but couldn't find it. I told him it was easy, went over to his computer to show him how to map a network drive and....there's no NAS in his Network locations. Everything else that should be there is - two laptops are missing at the moment, but that's because they're not in use.

I'm entirely confident it's a Windows issue. Looking at the router CP, I can see it on the client list. Typing its IP into a browser takes me to its settings page, even on his computer. The connection works just fine on my computer....so it's clearly not the NAS or network that's the problem.

It seems there isn't a way to tell Windows 10 to look at a specific IP address for a network device (correct?), otherwise I'd try setting it up that way. (If that worked, I'd have another rabbit hole in setting up the NAS with a static IP, but that's just a matter of delving into the documentation, but that's easy enough)

Network discovery, sharing, encryption, etc, is on. It's set to demand a user account for stuff it's sharing, but that shouldn't have any effect on the NAS, just on shared files on the Windows 10 computer.

I've left instructions for him to try rebooting (he leaves everything running, so I leave it to him to decide what needs to be saved and/or bookmarked.); from what I've found here, though, I'd be very surprised if that's all it needs.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm happy to provide any further settings info you need. (Keep in mind, I've stuck to Windows 7, so there are some navigational issues I might have if you just assume I know how to reach specific settings. They've made a lot of changes in 8 and 10 that I've never really dealt with.) (Oh, and speaking of Windows 8, I'll be setting the NAS up on an 8box at some point as well; should I expect similar challenges there, or is 8's network support more along the lines of 7's? (as in, actually functional))

:)

Rashkavar, Feb 16, 2016

2. NAS server gone after W10 update april 13th 2016

On april 13th 2016 W10 was automatically updated on my PC

After completing update my NAS server (Medion MD 86407) didn't react any more: "This map is empty".

And the NAS server showed a red led. Pointing to a failure.

Until that update the NAS server worked fine , because I just had used my files on the NAS with my notebook (in our homegroup).

I did restart the Nas server.

Followed by a restart of the Provider modem.

Next I did reset the NAS server.

Each of all these steps without any result.

What can I do to solve this problem?

PaulBaijens, Feb 16, 2016
  3. UNABLE TO SWITCH BETWEEN SOUND OF LAPTOP AND HEADSET SOUNDS

Yes, i still have this issue and i dont know how to solve it.

Maybe na update solve the áudio profiles and the blank icons on search bar

cheers

BrunoSilva5, Feb 16, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome!

W10 is having some issues with network detection and it seems to be related to a problem accessing the Master Browser on the network. Once another PC becomes the Master, the W10 PC can't access it. You could try and fix this by turning off all your computers, turning back on the W10 computer and waiting for it to be up and running. Then turn on the NAS and see if you can find it and set it up. Doing it this way should ensure the W10 PC is the Master Browser.

philc43, Feb 16, 2016
  5. Rashkavar Win User
    OK.... *googles "Master Browser" concept*

So, basically I have to shut down my computer (and possibly the NAS, depending on how the "election" goes.) Then go set his up, then turn mine back on. And I'll have to do that every time he wants to access the NAS. (It's a laptop, so goes to sleep when he closes the lid). Great. Good thing it's the only W10 computer on the network.

Edit: It worked. The NAS is now being recognized. Thanks!

Oddly, Explorer only wants to display it as a mapped network drive some of the time. Opening it using the normal shortcut doesn't work, but it's there if you open administrative tools then navigate to the rest of the computer. Weird. I mapped it as a network location instead; seems to function the same way, aside from the lack of a bar graph showing space usage.

Rashkavar, Feb 16, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Glad it worked for you and thanks for the feedback. It is a bit of a work around but I'm hopeful Microsoft will fix this in a future update. They are aware of the problem but some extra feedback would not hurt to remind them!

Please mark solved as this alerts others to the solution.

philc43, Feb 16, 2016
  7. linw Win User
    Yes samba shares are chaotic but you certainly can access devices using their IP address.

Just enter the address into the Explorer address bar. You can add the address into the Quick access list as well.

8. philc43 Win User

Good point but the IP addresses of my machines are not static. I guess this must be a default router setup.

philc43, Feb 16, 2016
  9. linw Win User
    Why not make them static? I give static addresses to all fixed resources so I can administer them readily by IP no.

10. philc43 Win User
    I may well try this as it could be a long wait before the Master Browser issues get fixed. There was some reason I kept to dynamic IP addresses but can't remember what it was - possibly just the sheer number of devices coming and going on the network.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Solved - More NAS issues. - Similar Threads - Solved More NAS

2. Sort by "More..." option is missing in context menu. How to solve this issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort by "More..." option is missing in context menu. How to solve this issue?: There is "More..." option in group by. But there is no "More..." option in sort by. Please help me to resolve this issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-by-more-option-is-missing-in-context-menu-how/4c8d32de-68bf-40d9-ac47-d4015744439b
  3. Sort by "More..." option is missing in context menu. How to solve this issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort by "More..." option is missing in context menu. How to solve this issue?: There is "More..." option in group by. But there is no "More..." option in sort by. Please help me to resolve this issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-by-more-option-is-missing-in-context-menu-how/4c8d32de-68bf-40d9-ac47-d4015744439b
  4. How to solve this issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to solve this issue: moham is the main folder but I want to change it to Mohamed, however, if I do that in the registry editor the error message will say "we can't sign into your account"...
  5. windows 10 search not working with NAS files, cannot find files on NAS in file explorer SOLVED

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 search not working with NAS files, cannot find files on NAS in file explorer SOLVED: this was a huge problem for my companyWIN 7 works fine with search, local and nasWIN 10 just cant seem to find anythingi dont know the logic of why the problem was fixed maybe someone could shed some lightone day when i was doing a fresh install of WIN 10 pro, i deactivated...
  6. Nas drive win10 issue

Nas drive win10 issue: Hi, i cannot access my wd cloud drives via win 10 but have no issue with wd cloud via phone app, Have tried all reset options but still not working, Any help with this would be great please...
  7. Windows 10 NAS Issues

Windows 10 NAS Issues: I have recently set up a NAS server. But, I am having issues connecting to it. I have 4 Windows 10 computers. Only two of them can connect to it. The share is not password protected, that is what error I am getting. Sometimes it says windows can't access NAYLOR-NAS. I am not...
  8. NAS DRIVE ISSUES

NAS DRIVE ISSUES: Hello I'm currently using windows 10 1903 and I have 4 NAS drives which I use just to store my files on. However, 2 of the NAS drives do not show up in Computer (see below)[ATTACH] You can see at the bottom of the page I have a FILM-TV-SERVER and a GoFlex Home NAS drive as...
  9. Network NAS Issue

Network NAS Issue: I have a Lacie network drive that I have used on my system for ages and it worked fine. I had to complete a full system rebuild after a drive upgrade and some other issues. Since I've rebuilt the system I'm having trouble with the NAS. What I have is Windows 10 Pro. I...
  10. More storage - NAS or enclosure via USB

in Windows 10 Support
    More storage - NAS or enclosure via USB: Hi there I'm needing more HDD storage. Can't decide whether dedicated NAS storage -- expensive -- even 2 bay (empty no HDD supplied) costs around 150 - 200 USD or use a much cheaper external storage box with SATA/ USB3 connectors. I have 2 X spare USB3 connectors on...