Windows 10: [SOLVED] Unable to shutdown fully? The fan keeps running

Discus and support [SOLVED] Unable to shutdown fully? The fan keeps running in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone im having an issue right now that my computer won't shutdown the leds and fan still keep running after the screen has turned black. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by syberpro, Dec 14, 2015.

1. syberpro Win User

[SOLVED] Unable to shutdown fully? The fan keeps running

Hello everyone im having an issue right now that my computer won't shutdown the leds and fan still keep running after the screen has turned black. I need to hold the power button in order to shutdown my computer.

I recently installed an SDD and since then im having the issue. Any idea? I have tried many things and need help

Thank you

:)

syberpro, Dec 14, 2015

2. Laptop CPU Fan still running after Shut Down

Hi Friends,

i'm using Dell Inspiron 3542 series laptop with windows 7 from the past month. Recently i upgraded my laptop to
    Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit OS.

Windows 10 OS is so cool with lot of new features and i like it very much. after one week i upgraded my
    BIOS Drivers to A08 from Dell site. From that A08 update i noticed my CPU fan is still running even after i shutdown my laptop. i tried different shutdown options (Alt + F4) but no use.

My battery is drying too fast. and my power on is not working, I've to remove and insert the battery to power on my laptop, and also i noticed a strange shortcut which is when a press Fn + Insert my laptop going to sleep or hibernate or shutdown i don't
    know but screen becomes blank.

Please help me how to solve this problem, is this windows 10 defect or Bios driver defect.

Thank You.

Maham Kali Badugula, Dec 14, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Not shutting down properly and not awakening from sleep

Hello

I am Praveen kumar , I have an issue with the shutdown and awekening from sleep

I am using Dell laptop Inspiron 3542 (I3 processor, 4GB RAM, 2GB Nividia Graphics). When i shutdown the computer the screen gets off but the CPU and Fan keeps on running infinitely. It turns off when the battery dries

When putting in sleep, i used to wake it up with pressing power button but it dint wake up. In this case i want to force shutdown or plug off the battery

It happens only in Windows 10 Updated

Kindly help me to solve this Issue

apraveenkumar1197, Dec 14, 2015
  4. AndreyT Win User

Your computer is not shutting down at all. It is going into S1 sleep state.

So, how do you "shutdown" your computer?

From your description, it sounds as if you are doing this by pressing the power button. If so, then two things must be at work here: 1) your power button is programmed to put your computer to sleep (instead of shutting it down), 2) your BIOS is configured to put your computer into shallow sleep state (S1), instead of deep sleep state (S3).

The first recommendation would be: stop trying to use power button to shut down your computer. Use Start Menu. Select Power -> Shut Down and it should propely shutdown your computer.

If you really want to use power button to shutdown your compuer, then go to Control Panel -> Power Options. Select Choose what the power button does and then in the next window change the When I press the power button setting to Shut down.

AndreyT, Dec 14, 2015
  5. syberpro Win User
    1. I use the start menu shutdown and the process goes into "shutting down" then it looks like it shutdown because my screen is turned off but my computer led is still on and fan are running so i need to hold the power in order to shutdown

2. I have tried that. No success

syberpro, Dec 14, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    Go to Run (Win+R) and enter this line
    %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00

CountMike, Dec 14, 2015
  7. syberpro Win User

I tried this , it just force the computer to shutdown as if i would press "shutdown" but it did not work.

syberpro, Dec 14, 2015
  8. syberpro Win User
    syberpro, Dec 14, 2015
  9. Check your Intel MEI version. I had the same issue on my laptop with MEI 11.0.0.xxxx installed and when I downgraded to version 9.5.15.1730 my issue got resolved.

mbushnaq00, Dec 16, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Seems like a device driver. Updated since Windows 10, Display adapter and other important system drivers from the PC manufacturer's web site.Slow on boot up to ?

jds63, Dec 16, 2015
  11. syberpro Win User
    Since i tried reformatting i have windows 7 back and it still doesnt work

syberpro, Dec 17, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User

Most cases it is, Drivers that are loaded for any hardware device that are incompatible, corrupt or damaged can cause the computer to lockup when shutting down. Program (software) that is running is preventing windows from shutting down, any messages when this happens just as you shutdown ? Any changes ever made in the BIOS ? Was it updated recently ?

Check Event Viewer, select Custom Views then Administrator Events. Look for red errors, highlight each and see if it shows about this issue.

jds63, Dec 17, 2015
  13. syberpro Win User
    I see some errors, difficult to decode what written

syberpro, Dec 19, 2015
  14. MSMPlayz Win User
    Most likely that it's a Display Adapter Driver. I had this issue 2 years ago with Windows 8/8.1. All I did was update the Driver and the issue was resolved.

MSMPlayz, Dec 19, 2015
Thema:

1. [SOLVED] Unable to shutdown fully? The fan keeps running - Similar Threads - SOLVED Unable shutdown

2. Windows 10 Shutdown Issue - Fans still running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Shutdown Issue - Fans still running: I have a 10 year old HP Desktop that was already running Windows 10 on a standard HDD thanks to the free upgrade from Windows 7 that I took advantage of a few years ago. I purchased a SATA SSD to help improve the performance of the system, and did a clean install on the SSD...
  3. Fans Keep Running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fans Keep Running: Sometimes when I go to sleep at night the fans on my computer turn on and they get really loud. That's it. I think it might be update problems but I'm not 100% sure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fans-keep-running/b5744675-d181-425d-9d66-72584f8c3d96
  4. Fans Keep Running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fans Keep Running: Sometimes when I go to sleep at night the fans on my computer turn on and they get really loud. That's it. I think it might be update problems but I'm not 100% sure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fans-keep-running/b5744675-d181-425d-9d66-72584f8c3d96
  5. My fans and lights keep running after shutdown.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My fans and lights keep running after shutdown.: I recently updated to windows 11 and then started experiencing shutdown problems. Fans and lights stay running. I have turned off fast startup, the pci express setting in power, checked drivers and believe all are up to date and done a system scan in command prompt with no...
  6. My fans and lights keep running after shutdown.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My fans and lights keep running after shutdown.: I recently updated to windows 11 and then started experiencing shutdown problems. Fans and lights stay running. I have turned off fast startup, the pci express setting in power, checked drivers and believe all are up to date and done a system scan in command prompt with no...
  7. fan on laptop keeps running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    fan on laptop keeps running: I saw an article about crypto mining using my fan in my laptop to steal electricity from me and charge me higher electric bills, how do I find out if this is happening to me, and how do I stop it. thank you, for your help with this matter,elliott...
  8. Laptop Fan Running - Solved

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop Fan Running - Solved: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E420. Windows 10 has ran my fan almost constantly during the last year. This has stopped with the recent Windows 10 Creators Update!!! I'll put up with spending an hour restoring my custom settings on almost everything that a "Creators" update...
  9. Unable to shutdown fully? The fan keeps running 2

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to shutdown fully? The fan keeps running 2: Hello ! My Issue like this :Unable to shutdown fully? The fan keeps running - Page 4 - Solved - Windows 10 Forums in this he say solved problem be reformated and change the disk style ! and that was very Strange. no problem but I'll say my exactly my problem My...
  10. [SOLVED] Unable to shutdown fully? The fan keeps running

in Windows 10 Support
    [SOLVED] Unable to shutdown fully? The fan keeps running: Hello everyone im having an issue right now that my computer won't shutdown the leds and fan still keep running after the screen has turned black. I need to hold the power button in order to shutdown my computer. I recently installed an SDD and since then im having the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. MEI 11.0.0.xxxx