Windows 10: [SOLVED] Windows 10 Cloning question - moving Recovery Partition?

Discus and support [SOLVED] Windows 10 Cloning question - moving Recovery Partition? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all - just upgraded my PC by cloning my old 160GB SATA HDD to a new 250GB SATA SSD drive. All is fine and I can boot into Windows and all works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkstrike, Feb 27, 2018.

1. [SOLVED] Windows 10 Cloning question - moving Recovery Partition?

Hi all - just upgraded my PC by cloning my old 160GB SATA HDD to a new 250GB SATA SSD drive.

All is fine and I can boot into Windows and all works perfectly (AND SO MUCH FASTER!!!)

My issue is this. Windows has a Recovery Partition. I want to expand the OS partition of my drive to use the new space my larger 250GB drive entails, but the Recovery Partition is smack dab in the middle of the new 250GB SSD now because of the clone (it was at the end of the drive on the 160GB HDD).

If I use a program like GParted or another parition manager to MOVE the Recovery Partition to the end of the drive so I can use the new space, is that going to mess up WIndows and will the Recovery partition still work as it always had, despite the move?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Darkstrike, Feb 27, 2018
  2. F1R3D0G Win User

Multiple Large Recovery Partitions

I am going through and cleaning out my hard drives and organizing them and when I cloned my boot drive I noticed that there are 4 partitions. 462 MB System Reserve (G[SOLVED] Windows 10 Cloning question - moving Recovery Partition? :), 445.31 GB Sandisk Ultra II (C[SOLVED] Windows 10 Cloning question - moving Recovery Partition? :), 486 MB Recovery Partition, and 912 MB Recovery Partition.
    I know I don't need all of those recovery partitions, and they really don't hurt anything but when I clone the drive of course they are cloned as well and then there ends up being 5+ partitions on the drive im cloning to which defeats the purpose of organizing.
    How can I tell which partition I can remove and which one is the actual recovery partition? im running Win10 64-bit

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

F1R3D0G, Feb 27, 2018
  3. Andre Da Costa, Feb 27, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

[SOLVED] Windows 10 Cloning question - moving Recovery Partition?

That will work no problem note down sizes positions firtsso you can role back if needed allways have a role back option

Samuria, Feb 27, 2018
  5. OK - moved the Recovery Partition to the end of the disk with GParted on a Linux Live CD. Then used the Windows Partition Manager on boot of Win10 to extend the partition...all seems well!

That being said, is there now anything I have to do to tell Windows where the Recovery Partition was moved to...?

Darkstrike, Feb 27, 2018
  6. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Feb 27, 2018
  7. Ran both commands - stated as disabled, second command to enable fails and says 'Image Not Found'

[SOLVED] Windows 10 Cloning question - moving Recovery Partition? [​IMG]

Darkstrike, Feb 27, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Your recovery partition is partition two, so try this command first... Code: reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition2\Recovery\WindowsRE[/quote] Then try reagentc /enable again.

9. Thank you! That seemed to do the trick! *Smile

Darkstrike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. [SOLVED] Windows 10 Cloning question - moving Recovery Partition? - Similar Threads - SOLVED Cloning question

2. Moving the Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving the Recovery Partition: HiI need to move the recovery partition to the left because I need free space at the end of the drive.Will moving this prevent "Windows Reset" from working in future? If so, how do I prevent this?...
  3. Moving the Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving the Recovery Partition: HiI need to move the recovery partition to the left because I need free space at the end of the drive.Will moving this prevent "Windows Reset" from working in future? If so, how do I prevent this?...
  4. Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......: This guide is intended for educational purposes only.A fresh and clean installation is always the best thing to do, because in addition to a bug-free Windows experience, everything outside the Windows environment like the EFI partition, Recovery partition, and overall system...
  5. How Can You Move the Windows 10 Recovery Partition to Access Space On Cloned Drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How Can You Move the Windows 10 Recovery Partition to Access Space On Cloned Drive?: BackgroundI have windows 10 Pro installedI have bought an SSD that is larger in size to the previous SSD that was installedI have cloned the previous SSD to the new SSD, byte for byte with clonezillaA partition approximately 807MB in size which I believe is a Windows 10...
  6. No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD: I have used Aomei Backupper to clone a Windows 10 Pro SATA3 SSD to a new NVMe M2 SSD. It went well and I now have a new boot drive but the cloning process did not copy over the Recovery Partition from the original SSD. Is that a problem? Thanks 179622
  7. Move C:\Recovery\* to Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move C:\Recovery\* to Recovery partition: Hi, I have the recovery partition but the recovery file are in the C: filesystem. I don't know if it uses the recovery partition but I would like to move from C: to the recovery partition to save some space. It's possible? 176302
  8. Moving a Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving a Recovery Partition: Hi! Is there any way for me to move the recovery partition whatsoever on Disk 0? I want to merge E: with the unallocated space on the other side of it but I can't because the partition is in the way.[ATTACH]...
  9. Recovery Partition question

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Partition question: I have space for the recovery partition but it says the partition is empty. I was trying to make a recovery usb and it would say couldn't create one. I went under computer management and the space is accolated but says it has 100% free space, so how come when I did the clean...
  10. Move recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move recovery partition?: Just installed a new M.2 SSD into an MSI GE72 laptop running Windows 10. First used MSI's Burn Recovery tool to copy the recovery to a USB flash drive. Restored onto the SSD and wiped the HDD. The resulting partitions on the SSD are shown in the attached image. So I end up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gparted to remove reappearing partition windows 10