Windows 10: (Solved) Windows Media Player Prevents Sleep

Discus and support (Solved) Windows Media Player Prevents Sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My new digital camera can use Wi-Fi for moving photos from it to a computer; to do this, Windows Media Player must be installed. After some cogitation,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Not Myself, Nov 8, 2016.

1. (Solved) Windows Media Player Prevents Sleep

My new digital camera can use Wi-Fi for moving photos from it to a computer; to do this, Windows Media Player must be installed. After some cogitation, I was able to go to Settings and install WMP 12, finish setting up Wi-Fi connection and transferred one photo.

This morning, I found my computer awake, and checking powercfg -requests, saw that the WMP Network Sharing Service was running. I stopped the service, quickly tested, found that the computer would sleep, so restarted the service, and found that it is what was preventing the computer from going to sleep.

I could, of course, set the service to manual start, but that would rather defeat the purpose of using Wi-Fi to transfer photos. Is there any way of fixing this, assuming as I am that the service is needed for photo transfers, a scenario that I have not tested?

===
    Later: Before posting this message, I was trying to recall the sequence of installing WMP and connecting the camera, and finally decided that that it had taken place late Monday afternoon. If that was so, then I did recall that the computer was asleep Tuesday morning afterwards. If WMP install had taken place the previous day, then what I found this morning was apparently not related to Monday's setup, meaning that the powercfg -request entry keeping the computer from sleeping had to come from some other cause.

I then realized that I had installed the monthly Windows 10 Update Tuesday afternoon, so I decided to restart the computer a short while ago. When that had completed, I again checked powercfg, which showed no requests. Finally, I transferred one photo via Wi-FI, and again checked powercfg. That still showing no requests, I guessed that perhaps the request had come about during the Update process, or from some other, likely unknowable source.

As the problem appears, at least for now, to have been remedied, I am going to mark this thread as solved.

:)

Not Myself, Nov 8, 2016

2. Issue playing video files in Windows Movie and TV app. Same file will play one device, but not another. Both are Windows 10 and up to date.

Hi Mary,

You might encounter that error message when playing video files for one of the following reasons:

• The file type is supported by the Player, but the file was compressed by using a codec that is not supported by the Player.

• The file might have been encoded by using a codec that is not supported by Windows Media Player. If this is the case, Windows Media Player cannot play the file.

Windows media player will only play the files and videos only if it supports that file type. Please refer the below article that gives you Information about the Multimedia file types that Windows Media Player supports.

File types supported by Windows Media Player

If the files are not supported by Windows media player then you need to use some third-party player which supports that file format.

Take note that using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved.
    Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Let us know if you need further help.

Jenicel Dri, Nov 8, 2016
  3. lmantei Win User
    MTP device problems windows 10

The mtppk12.exe is for Windows XP or Vista running Windows Media Player 11, not Windows 10 running Windows Media Player 12; therefore, it doesn't solve anything.

lmantei, Nov 8, 2016
Thema:

(Solved) Windows Media Player Prevents Sleep

1. (Solved) Windows Media Player Prevents Sleep - Similar Threads - Solved Media Player

2. Win11 Media Player: clear/prevent history??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 Media Player: clear/prevent history??: I really don't want apps to keep a list of things I've recently opened unless I tell them too, but I can't seem to get Media Player 11.22 from Win 11 to stop keeping a list of recently watched videos. I don't want a library to show up when i open the app [i'm not so stupid...
  3. Win11 Media Player: clear/prevent history??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 Media Player: clear/prevent history??: I really don't want apps to keep a list of things I've recently opened unless I tell them too, but I can't seem to get Media Player 11.22 from Win 11 to stop keeping a list of recently watched videos. I don't want a library to show up when i open the app [i'm not so stupid...
  4. Windows Media Player?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player?: How do I remove all duplicates on windows Media Player ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player/8be8d9a5-385a-4608-a88d-f3b6b816b7ae
  5. Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player: Hi, I've been trying to rip cd's onto my USB stick, I've been having some issues trying to rip the 1st track of cd's onto it and Windows Media Player keeps ripping the 1st track of my cd's onto a seperate album called "Unkown album" with the date and time at the end of itCan...
  6. How to prevent Windows Media Player from downloading codecs automatically

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent Windows Media Player from downloading codecs automatically: [ATTACH]Windows Media Player often downloads media codecs to play an unsupported file on Windows […] This article How to prevent Windows Media Player from downloading codecs automatically first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. How to prevent users from sharing media via Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent users from sharing media via Windows Media Player: [ATTACH]If you want to prevent users from sharing media files via Windows Media Player […] This article How to prevent users from sharing media via Windows Media Player first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. windows media player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player: just got this pc I need help with windows media player it transfers music [ ripped cds but not album art to my xduoo x3II mp3 ] I have no real understanding of how pc works can someone help...
  9. Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player: Por gentileza, acho que algo esta faltando em meu computador relativo ao Windows Media Player, pois nao consigo assistir um DVD, talvez seja porque atualizei minha versao do Winds 10. Poderiam me ajudar, por favor...
  10. Cannot access media player over network - solved for now

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access media player over network - solved for now: With windows 7 I could simply select my networked media player under Network & transfer files to/from it's HDD. Now I've upgraded to W10 it wants me to ENTER NETWORK CREDENTIALS - no idea why! Anyhow, read various posts about enabling/disabling various things & turning off...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows media player preventing sleep

2. windows not sleeping while wmp is playing

3. windows 10 media player and sleep

4. windows media player stops seleep,
  5. no sleep music media player,
  6. windows 10 sleep when media playing,
  7. windows media player prevents sleep,
  8. does repeating music windows media player prevent sleep,
  9. windows media player streaming preventing sleep