Windows 10: [SOLVED] Windows System Backup USB Restore is Not EFI Bios compatible.

Discus and support [SOLVED] Windows System Backup USB Restore is Not EFI Bios compatible. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; original post... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JuanPC2002, Dec 25, 2021.

1. [SOLVED] Windows System Backup USB Restore is Not EFI Bios compatible.

original post here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-system-backup-usb-restore-is-not-efi-bios/ab07edc9-f25d-43e8-abfb-6b879d1f59eaanswers.microsoft does Not allow to Edit title or post after x months...Anyway....found a solution...problem was that Win8.1 was originally installed in a BIOS board from 2010, X58 chipset,that does Not have EFI.EFI became popular in 2013EFI is required for large 8TB drives,booting from M.2 NVMe....EFI is a must have...there is an EFI emulator bootloader for older boards, but thats another story...BIOS board boots to USB emulator, and fr

:)

JuanPC2002, Dec 25, 2021
  2. JimGager Win User

error when trying to restore a system image backup. It says backup was created with BIOS and this system is EFI will not restore

I had a processor fail causing my MBR to be corrupted. I did not have an SRD for this system. I downloaded Windows 10 Pro 64 bit from your site. I have a good backup of the system but version 1809 of Windows will not perform a system image restore. I download
    windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1803 to resolve the restore problem. Now what I get is an error message sayin Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS and this computer
    is using EFI. Please help me get my original files restored. Thank you.

JimGager, Dec 25, 2021
  3. process1 initialization failed bios base system not efi, sin efi, sans efi, non efi

Hi ,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. Are you seeing PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED Blue screen error?

2. Are you able to boot to the Desktop?

3. Which antivirus program are you using?

4. What is the make and model of the computer

The PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED bug check indicates that the initialization of the Microsoft Windows operating system failed.

This bug check can also be caused by a missing file from the boot partition or by a driver file that a user accidentally disabled in the
    Drivers tab.

Please follow the below methods and check if it helps,

Method 1: Startup Repair

I suggest you to download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation Tool using other PC and then perform Startup Repair. Refer to the following link to download Windows 10 ISO Media

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Note: Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool
    " in the above article for creating the tool.

Once you have the installation media, follow the steps:

1. Start your computer from the installation media. Insert the disk or USB stick and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot
    from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the disk or USB. When you see the 'Install Windows' page, tap or click 'Repair your computer' link to start
    the Windows Recovery Environment.

• In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, click 'Troubleshoot'.
    • Click, Advanced Options and then click on 'Startup Repair'.
    • After this complete the repair and see if you are able to boot in to your computer.
    If the issue still persists then I would suggest you to perform System Restore please check the below steps for the same,

Please follow the 1st 2nd steps from method 1.

Click, Advanced Options and then click on 'System Restore'

Restore the system from the following earlier restore points.

Method 2: If you received a blue screen error code while using your computer follow the suggestion from this article.

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Method 3: Update BIOS and check

Please update the BIOS from the manufacturing website and check if it helps,

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the
    configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Reply us if you have further queries we will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Dec 25, 2021
  4. kuzko Win User

[SOLVED] Windows System Backup USB Restore is Not EFI Bios compatible.

How to Restore Windows 10 from EFI system backup to a BIOS only system?

I have a backup of my System's partitions that I want to restore to a machine, this destination system doesn't support UEFI mode, in which WIndows 10 was first installed.

My Windows 10 system booted from the EFI system partition, where the BCD datastore is located, how should I convert it to a classical System reserved partition?

I see many documents on how to go from BIOS to EFI, but not any from the reverse procedure.

I unfortunately do not have the possibility to enable UEFI mode on the destination hardware.

I'm trying to restore my Windows 10 machine that I have a backup of the image of on a completely different machine, a KVM based virtual machine to be precise.

I'm not asking on how to change the hardware settings on KVM but how to convert an ESP partition that is restored alongside my C: partition to a standard System served one that could boot on legacy harware presented by KVM to the OS.

The VirtIO drivers are already installed in the OS if this info is needed.

References I've looked at:

Partitions de disque dur BIOS/MBR
    Partitions de disque dur UEFI/GPT

And of course my previous question where the answer is unfortunately not working anymore since update 1607 of Windows 10.
    boot windows installed with UEFI on bios only host

What I tried :

1. Restore only the first partition on a MBR disk
    2. Set that partition as active
    3. Regenerate boot bcd files with BCD as @snayob explained

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\BCDBoot> .\bootsect.exe /nt60 F: /mbr
      Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

F: (\?\Volume{833d781b-d99f-11e6-80ec-8223a3a1c06a})

\??\PhysicalDrive3

Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes.
      PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM> cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\BCDBoot"
      .\bcdboot.exe F:\Windows /s F: /v /f BIOS
      BFSVC: ServiceBootFiles MuiOnly:n Res:y Fonts:y BootMgrOvw:nBootStatOvw:n DbgTransports:y CreateSetupObj
      :n
      .\bcdboot.exe : BFSVC Error: Failed to open file F:\Windows\boot\Resources\BOOTRES.DLL for read! Error
      code = 0x780
      At line:2 char:1
      • .\bcdboot.exe F:\Windows /s F: /v /f BIOS
      • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (BFSVC Error: Fa...or code = 0x780:String) [], RemoteExcept
          ion
        • FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

BFSVC Warning: Failed to determine source OS version.
      BFSVC Error: Failed to open file F:\Windows\boot\PCAT\bootmgr for read! Error code = 0x780
      BFSVC Error: Failed to validate boot manager checksum (F:\Windows\boot\PCAT\bootmgr)! Error code = 0xc1
      Failure when attempting to copy boot files.

kuzko, Dec 25, 2021
Thema:

[SOLVED] Windows System Backup USB Restore is Not EFI Bios compatible.

1. [SOLVED] Windows System Backup USB Restore is Not EFI Bios compatible. - Similar Threads - SOLVED System Backup

2. System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict: Please help:I was using a 1T SATA HDD as the system disk on a computer that has a 1T SS HDD.I made an image disk and tried to restore it into the SS HDD to make it the system disk, but got the following error:"The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  3. System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict: Please help:I was using a 1T SATA HDD as the system disk on a computer that has a 1T SS HDD.I made an image disk and tried to restore it into the SS HDD to make it the system disk, but got the following error:"The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  4. System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restoring efi SYSTEM partition

Restoring efi SYSTEM partition: Currently if I restore only one partition at a time with Acronis the efi SYSTEM partition is missing some data, side note restoring whole drive works however.But my question is:If I used bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak first and latter on a blank formatted 260MB formatted fat32...
  6. Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup: I'm trying to upgrade my ssd. I have a system image, but it's an EFI system image. when I try and run the backup/restore from a windows bootable usb, I get an error saying the restore failed because Bios can't/won't run an EFI file. How can I get this to work?...
  7. Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup

Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup: I'm trying to upgrade my ssd. I have a system image, but it's an EFI system image. when I try and run the backup/restore from a windows bootable usb, I get an error saying the restore failed because Bios can't/won't run an EFI file. How can I get this to work?...
  8. Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup

9. [SOLVED] Windows System Backup USB Restore is Not EFI Bios compatible.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [SOLVED] Windows System Backup USB Restore is Not EFI Bios compatible.: original post here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-system-backup-usb-restore-is-not-efi-bios/ab07edc9-f25d-43e8-abfb-6b879d1f59eaanswers.microsoft does Not allow to Edit title or post after x months...Anyway....found a solution...problem was that...
  10. System image restore EFI & BIOS conflict

System image restore EFI & BIOS conflict: I created my system restore image on the computer I'm now using a Dell 1525. The original hard drive with this computer was 80 gig and I upgraded to a 180 gig. My BIOS recognized the 180 gig hard drive but Windows did not, therefore my computer was still slow I just...