Windows 10: Some 32 bit programs running as background processes after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Some 32 bit programs running as background processes after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; MarkThis is an issue Ive had since the October update and is still not resolved despite a lot of effort from Support. Basically, as the header says,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MarkRobinson7, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Some 32 bit programs running as background processes after Windows 10 update

MarkThis is an issue Ive had since the October update and is still not resolved despite a lot of effort from Support.

Basically, as the header says, some 32 bit programs I use as part of my work, which used to work fine under W10 64, ceased to do so after the update. Instead of starting properly they appear as background processes, chewing up CPU and memory but in no way accessible. Other 32 bit programs I use were completely unaffected and still work fine.

Has anyone else had this same issue and come across a fix?

The first effort to resolve this with Microsoft Support resulted in losing valuable data and consequently a work contract that I had all but completed. We've rolled back to the last build and delayed the update but it kicked in a few days ago while i slept.

The compatibility troubleshooter has not been any help at all.

Any insight would be very welcome.

Many thanks

Mark

:)

MarkRobinson7, Feb 13, 2019
  2. Davidk03 Win User

Program running a background process?

I'm running Corel Video Studio 2018, and it's updates function shows characteristics of a background process:

- the program has an auto check daily plus a manual option for updates

- manually checked, presented with an option of downloading an update and Ok'd, evidence of any activity vanishes from the program workspace, yet the connected internet modem activity light begins running hot as the download happens

- it's repeatable over several up-date cycles

The evidence seems to suggest a background activity - whilst the program/PC is free to use for other things. Several software packages do this.

However, a check in task manager/processes, show all, does not display any info of a related background process for any Corel or Video Studio program. If a background process is being used by the software, MUST it be listed in the task manager/processes
    list?

Platform is windows 7 home sp1 64bit plus the important patches.

Davidk03, Feb 13, 2019
  3. Desktop app runs as background process?

Thank you for your reply, Joy.

I tried what you suggested and unfortunately my application isn't listed there. It's not a Windows 10 app, but an older 32-bit application that should run in windowed mode, but for some reason when I double click its icon it starts as a background process
    instead of a windowed app. That happens in most of the cases, fortunately, at the end it somehow starts as a desktop app. But I cannot reproduce this behavior.

As a temporary solution, to keep it in windowed mode I never shut the computer down, but instead I leave the application running and put the computer to sleep.

Is there a setting to instruct Windows to run my application as a desktop application and not as a background process? Thank you.

Regards,

A

useless-me, Feb 13, 2019
  4. Jaune Bel Win User

Some 32 bit programs running as background processes after Windows 10 update

Program Running as a Background Process

Hi,

There could either be a corrupted or missing data file that is affecting the performance of your computer. We'd like to know more information about this concern so we could provide an accurate resolution. Kindly answer the following:

• What programs are you having issues with?
    • Have you tried updating Windows 10?
    • Have you tried updating your video card drivers from your manufacturer's website?

In case that you haven't tried updating Windows 10, we suggest that you do so. You can refer to this article for the steps on how to:

Update Windows 10

You can also check this article for the steps on how to:
    Update drivers in Windows 10

We'll be waiting for your response.

Jaune Bel, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

Some 32 bit programs running as background processes after Windows 10 update

1. Some 32 bit programs running as background processes after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - bit programs running

2. Programs running 32 bit mode on windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs running 32 bit mode on windows 10 64 bit: Hello all, I was forced to do a fresh install of windows 10 since I changed my SSD. I used the media creation tool to get win10 version 22H2 that is running 64 bit. Nothing else in my hardware or bios configuration was changed whatsoever. Just popped out old ssd and installed...
  3. Programs running 32 bit mode on windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs running 32 bit mode on windows 10 64 bit: Hello all, I was forced to do a fresh install of windows 10 since I changed my SSD. I used the media creation tool to get win10 version 22H2 that is running 64 bit. Nothing else in my hardware or bios configuration was changed whatsoever. Just popped out old ssd and installed...
  4. Programs running 32 bit mode on windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. 32 bit program not running on Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    32 bit program not running on Windows 11.: I try to install bleem! 1.6b from https://archive.org/details/Bleem1.6a1.6bBetas but when i run installer it fails with "This App can't run on your PC" Error...
  6. Install/Run 32-bit program on Windows 10 64-bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install/Run 32-bit program on Windows 10 64-bit: Hi. I have an old 32-bit drafting program that I would like to install and run on my Windows 10 64-bit Surface Pro. Is it possible - if so, how do I do it or what can I try?...
  7. Windows 10 is running 64 bit programs as 32 bit after clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 is running 64 bit programs as 32 bit after clean install: Hi, I did a recent clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Now all programs meant to install as 32 or 64 bit are being installed and run as 32 bit programs. Please note that these are programs that used to run as 64 bit prior the clean install. Thinking that Windows didn't...
  8. installing and running 32 bit programs on windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    installing and running 32 bit programs on windows 10: Can I install and run 32 bit programs with windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-and-running-32-bit-programs-on-windows/48e8c563-aeb3-45c1-bc78-ff9000cdf912
  9. All programs running in 32 bit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All programs running in 32 bit: I have a 64 bit operating system which is windows 10 ,but still I find in my task manager that all my programs are running in the 32 bit mode ,how would be able to solve this and make the programs run in 64 bit ?? Please help me !...
  10. 32 bit program not running on Windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Customization
    32 bit program not running on Windows 10 64 bit: I have a program that I am trying to run on Windows 10, but it says it just run on a 32bit version navigator. Any suggestion on what to do?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 32bit programm runs background