Windows 10: Some application does not "survive" sleep mode.

Discus and support Some application does not "survive" sleep mode. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I'm a new windows user but very experienced Linux/Mac user. I just started using windows a week ago. I bought a new laptop Dell XPS 15 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Haim Ashkenazi, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Some application does not "survive" sleep mode.

Hello,

I'm a new windows user but very experienced Linux/Mac user. I just started using windows a week ago. I bought a new laptop Dell XPS 15 and started to slowly install applications. Starting day 3 or 4 of my usage I tried to install RSS/News readers and twitter clients from the Microsoft store and I started noticing that all of these applications quit whenever I close the lid even for a few minutes. I tried replacing the apps to search for one that doesn't quit but although I been through several options I only found one twitter client that does not quit in sleep mode and no Feedly client :. Than I noticed that also OneNote does not survive sleep mode. Other applications are working fine.

I've been through several tools:

• Dell SupportAssist and Bios diagnostics
    • Power Troubleshooter
    • Clean boot
    • More checks suggested by Dell support that didn't help

I'm up-to-date with both windows and Dell updates.

While this is still a new laptop and I can probably re-install from scratch without loosing more than a couple of days of work, I prefer to try a solution for a few days.

If anyone has any idea please help.

Thanks in advance

Haim

:)

Haim Ashkenazi, Oct 11, 2020

2. Sleep mode

Hi Adam,

For us to better assist with your issue on sleep mode, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any updates to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you refer to this thread and follow the answer of Andre
    Da Costa to troubleshoot the issue with sleep mode missing.

You can also refer to this article that was
    created by Andre Da Costa to enable sleep mode.

Looking forward to you response.

Reymichael Ros, Oct 11, 2020
  3. sleep mode

Hi disgruntledWC,

There could be other settings on your computer that triggers your computer to go on sleep even though the sleep settings is set to never. To ensure that the sleep and display settings are properly set, I suggest that you look into the Advanced Power Settings.
    Follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel and click Power Options.
    • On your preferred plan, click Change plan settings.
    • Click advanced power settings.
    • Expand Sleep option, and make sure to set the following:
    Sleep after : Never

Hibernate after : Never

5. Click Apply, then OK.

Please check also the screen saver option.

• Navigate to Settings > Personalization > Lock screen.
    • Click Screen saver settings.
    • Set your Screen saver to None.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, please observe if your computer still goes to sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 11, 2020
  4. Some application does not "survive" sleep mode.

open the desktop from sleep mode

Hi Abhishek,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• How are trying to start the computer from the sleep mode?
    • Since from when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you able to shut down or restart the machine?
    • What happens when you try to come out of Sleep mode?
    I would suggest you to force shutdown the computer and start the computer and check what happens.

If you are able to login to normal mode then follow the below steps to restore the power setting/plan to default.

• Press Windows + X keys, and select the option
      Control Panel.
    • Click on the Power Options icon.
    • Click on Change plan settings.
    • Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.
    Please post us back with more information and if the issues resolves to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

Some application does not "survive" sleep mode.

1. Some application does not "survive" sleep mode. - Similar Threads - application does survive

2. Windows 10 closes applications while in sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 closes applications while in sleep mode.: I have a new desktop PC I just built. Everything seems to be running fine, except that Windows will often but not always close all running applications while in sleep mode. I can't tell if it's doing a full restart or not. Sometimes it asks for my password on wake and not...
  3. Windows 10 closes applications while in sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 closes applications while in sleep mode.: I have a new desktop PC I just built. Everything seems to be running fine, except that Windows will often but not always close all running applications while in sleep mode. I can't tell if it's doing a full restart or not. Sometimes it asks for my password on wake and not...
  4. Disable sleep mode with some programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable sleep mode with some programs: Hi, Is there a way to disable sleep mode only with some specific programs that I choose ? Thank you Have a good day version 20H2 (build 19042.928) 179070
  5. PC does NOT STAY in sleep mode

PC does NOT STAY in sleep mode: Hi, I have set my power option for my monitor to turn off after 2 minutes and the computer to sleep after 5 minutes. For a unknown reason my screen turns off after 2 minutes and turns back on almost immediately after. Can somebody help me? Note I run Win10 Pro 20H2....
  6. Does mail run in sleep mode

Does mail run in sleep mode: So I have been having an internet issue at home and have connected my laptop to cellular hotspot but am worried that if I put my PC on sleep mode whether or not my emails will be sent in the background...
  7. Windows does not keep applications during sleep

Windows does not keep applications during sleep: Hi, I am running Windows 10 on DELL Volstro computer and find the following issues very annoying: - When I put the computer into sleep quick touch on "power" button and then come back again open the lid and light touch on "power" key, the computer seems to be restarting...
  8. Minecraft Bedwars Survival Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft Bedwars Survival Mode: I can no longer break blocks , My buttons are recognised as my arm swings but nothing happens,I can still place blocks, This happened one day after Minecraft updated to version 1.10 ....
  9. Issue with the application and computer going to sleep mode

Issue with the application and computer going to sleep mode: It all the sudden maximizes itself. Often. Even when I'm actively using another app. And at the same time, the computer has started to sleep. Even when I'm actively using it. Which is the real problem. It does not seem to sleep as often if I leave the mail app open....
  10. Regedit color choice doesn't survive sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Regedit color choice doesn't survive sleep: Since workspace background and other color preferences are not programmable under Win10, I've taken a tip from an MS Answers forum and made registry changes to do what earlier versions of Windows did through a built-in utility. There are two areas for this: HKEY_CURRENT_USER...