Windows 10: Some CTRL+ALT shortcut combos won't work

Discus and support Some CTRL+ALT shortcut combos won't work in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've set up a bunch of shortcut keys to files/folders/apps I use often by entering a key combo in the properties > shortcut page of .lnk shortcuts.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by pjfarr, Nov 29, 2015.

1. pjfarr Win User

Some CTRL+ALT shortcut combos won't work

I've set up a bunch of shortcut keys to files/folders/apps I use often by entering a key combo in the properties > shortcut page of .lnk shortcuts. I've done this in every version of Windows I've used with rarely any issues. The key combos are all CTRL+ALT combos.

There are a few that won't register. I'm trying to enter CTRL+ALT+F5 in the box, but it won't take. The CTRL+ALT shows when I press them, but as soon as I add the F5 the box blanks out and says "None" (the default state). I'm entering everything correctly since it's the same procedure I used to successfully set up other combos. This happens with the F8 key and a few others as well. I'm guessing they're preset system combos but they don't seem to do anything when I press them. I've also used those combos on earlier versions of Windows without any problems.

Anyone have any ideas? This is a Windows 10 Home 64 bit HP Envy x360 laptop.
    Thanks...

:)

pjfarr, Nov 29, 2015

2. Is there a method to set up keyboard shortcuts?

I am a quadriplegic, no use of my hands and must use sticky keys because voice recognition won't work in a loud atmosphere. The only way to navigate is with the keyboard but Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts are a fallacy. Some work some don't. I've submitted
    plenty of posts, with one or two replies that get nowhere or have the same issue, in the community, insider program and other blogs. At issue seems to be the Alt key. Although it works to exit with Alt F4 it does not work in any other combos. I use these to
    navigate almost all of my apps. Browsers, control panel etc... Is there a method to set up your own shortcuts?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve L Christensen, Nov 29, 2015
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Windows 10 Accent Colours Automatically Changing

Have you accidentally inverted the colours? Ctrl + Alt + I is the combo.

Time Lady, Nov 29, 2015
Thema:

Some CTRL+ALT shortcut combos won't work

1. Some CTRL+ALT shortcut combos won't work - Similar Threads - CTRL+ALT shortcut combos

2. CTRL ALT WIN not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CTRL ALT WIN not working: Few hours ago my keyboard started to spam random keys and i tried to fix it with this method but after restarting PC CTRL Windows and ALT keys do not seem to be working anymore. Method:1. Press the Windows + Q keys and type CMD;2. Right-click on Run as Administrator;3. Paste...
  3. CTRL+SHIFT keyboard combos not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CTRL+SHIFT keyboard combos not working: I've been using Windows 10 at home for a couple years. I use numerous keyboard combinations that involve CTRL+SHIFT. For example: CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste text without formattingCTRL+SHIFT+T to reopen a closed tab in Google ChromeCTRL+SHIFT+E to export photos in Adobe Lightroom...
  4. CTRL+SHIFT keyboard combos not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CTRL+SHIFT keyboard combos not working: I've been using Windows 10 at home for a couple years. I use numerous keyboard combinations that involve CTRL+SHIFT. For example: CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste text without formattingCTRL+SHIFT+T to reopen a closed tab in Google ChromeCTRL+SHIFT+E to export photos in Adobe Lightroom...
  5. ctrl alt delete keyboard shortcut not working on welcome screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ctrl alt delete keyboard shortcut not working on welcome screen: when I log in, the computer does not respond to pressing the ctrl alt delete combination, but the keyboard is working because I can make changes to the bios. I already disabled fast boot in BIOS, tried to use system restore at startup, but all this did not work. I installed a...
  6. ctrl alt delete keyboard shortcut not working on welcome screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ctrl alt delete keyboard shortcut not working on welcome screen: when I log in, the computer does not respond to pressing the ctrl alt delete combination, but the keyboard is working because I can make changes to the bios. I already disabled fast boot in BIOS, tried to use system restore at startup, but all this did not work. I installed a...
  7. ctrl alt delete keyboard shortcut not working on welcome screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. BUG: Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F shortcut no longer working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BUG: Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F shortcut no longer working: Recently updated to 1909 Build 18363 Now the flatten shortcut (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F) in Photoshop no longer works. Pretty sure this is a windows bug submitted by /u/wozmatic [link] [comments]...
  9. Shortcuts not working CTRL+LMB and ctrl-alt-v

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcuts not working CTRL+LMB and ctrl-alt-v: I have recently changed to windows from mac os and I am having a nightmare of a time. Selecting non-adjacent text and pasting plain text are IMPARATIVE to my work. The fact that none of the shortcuts are working is adding SO MUCH time to my workflow it's disgusting. For...
  10. Windows 10 Shortcut CTRL + ALT not saving

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Shortcut CTRL + ALT not saving: I am trying to run some App by creating the CTRL + ALT shortcut for some applications and when applying the changes I get an error as 'You will need to provide administrator permission to change these settings.' Although I am the administrator, I have logged in as...