Windows 10: Some curious installation experience with Sysprep

Discus and support Some curious installation experience with Sysprep in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a 3-day old clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1511. This is sysprep-ed install with 'Users' folder relocated to D: drive. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AndreyT, Nov 18, 2015.

1. AndreyT Win User

Some curious installation experience with Sysprep

I have a 3-day old clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1511. This is sysprep-ed install with 'Users' folder relocated to D: drive.

This install, as I suddenly discovered, suffered from the following issue:

• When I started Windows Feedback app, it presented me with a "Sign in" button. Hitting that button did nothing. The button blinked, but nothing happened.
    • In Store app, when I opened the menu and selected "Sign in" nothing happened.
    • When setting up Cortana, when I got to the point where it asked me to sign in, hitting the "Sign in" button did nothing.

Meanwhile, apps like Contact Support worked fine - they asked me to sign in and I signed in successfully.

It appeared that all apps that were supposed to use this standard "Choose an account" dialog

Some curious installation experience with Sysprep [​IMG]

were "broken". The dialog did not appear and sign in simply did not work. All other apps seemed to work fine.

Doing SFC, DISM and stuff did not help at all.

So, I decided to do another clean reinstall of the same system in order to figure out at what stage that "Sign in" would die. And I did reinstall it, going through my standard procedure of doing sysprep in order to relocate 'Users' folder to D: drive. The install went through smoothly. But immediately after the first boot the problem was already there (!). Right away, on a perfectly clean spanking new install I was already unable to log into Windows Feedback because the "Sign In" button did not do anything.

I thought that maybe my sysprep was to blame here. However, I have another machine that was installed from the same image and sysprepped in exactly the same way. And it does not have that issue. The only difference that other machine has it that it uses a WiFi connection, while this problematic one is connected by Ethernet.

So, I guessed that maybe because this problematic machine get access to Internet very early, some update or something else sneaks in very early and ruins the install. To test this, I disconnected the cable and repeated the clean install from scratch, again with sysprep and 'Users' relocated to D:. And viola! The machine installed perfectly and the above problem was gone.

To test this I repeated the clean install in the following combinations: 1) cable in, sysprep, 2) cable out, no sysprep.

It appears that the problem occurs only when the machine is connected to network during sysprep. Such installs of Windows 10 1511 end up with broken "Sign In" functionality in some apps. My other, WiFi, machine installed fine because it, obviously, had no network connection at sysprep stage. I still don't know whether it is caused by a mere network connection or specifically by Internet connection. Figuring everything out would require a lot more tests.

But the morale of the story is: if you are doing a sysprep on an Ethernet-connected machine, disconnect the cable and plug it back it only after the sysprep stage.

:)

AndreyT, Nov 18, 2015

2. Computer set up

You could first RESET it to reinstall WIndows 10 and get rid of your personal information / settings...

You could then sysprep it so that the next person to turn it on - sets it up (out-of-box-experience)...

Sysprep /generalize /shutdown /oobe

Shenan Stanley, Nov 18, 2015
  3. sysprep broken on windows 10 build 10586

I am trying to sysprep After installing windows update 3136561, sysprep fails, with message that says "Sysprep was not able to validate your Windows installation. Review the log file a %WINDIR% \Ssytem 32\Sysprep\Panther\setupact.log for details.

I was able to run sysprep before installing update KB3136561, which changed the OS version to 10.0.10586

This is on windows 10, Enterprise.

The log says "spopk.dll : : Sysprep will not run on an upgraded OS. You can only run Sysprep on a custom (clean) install version of Windows."

This was a clean install, until KB3136561 did the upgrade to version 10.0.10586

Help

MarkTronrud, Nov 18, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

This is a known issue with Sysprep in Windows 10. This quote from a Ten Forums tutorial Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums. I have highlighted the recommendation:

5. AndreyT Win User

AndreyT, Nov 18, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    Yes. My point was only to confirm that there is a common nominator in most Sysprep issues I have seen and it is the network connection during the installation. As far as I know, according to my own experience and multiple tests, it's better to install Windows without network connection, boot to Audit Mode and only then connect the network.

7. AndreyT Win User
    Apparently this matter is not that simple.

Today I installed Windows 10 Pro on another machine. And I also did sysprep to relocate 'Users' to D: drive. Having learned from my previous experience, I unplugged the Ethernet cable and made sure that its exposed end is at least 3 meters away from the machine.

Went through with the install. Plugged in the cable when all was done. Same problem again. "Sign in" buttons don't work on a freshly installed system.

In this case I did not have time to experiment. So I just re-downloaded all install media, unplugged the cable, disabled the integrated network interface in BIOS, disconnected all non-involved drives, opted for Express Settings, left the password empty and generally tried not to breathe through the entire procedure.

This time it installed properly. I have no idea what helped it to install.

AndreyT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Some curious installation experience with Sysprep - Similar Threads - curious installation experience

2. Curious

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Curious: I've been having issues for about a month with my windows 10 on the activation side. I've been getting help through tech support and they got me an ISO to install. My question is - can I still use the key that came pre-installed on my comp, or do I have to go and strike up...
  3. GE Experience, some videos disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    GE Experience, some videos disappeared: I use GE Experience for games. It supports highlights. But some of my highlights videos disappeared and I cannot find them, even in the Recycle Bin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ge-experience-some-videos-disappeared/524c11df-66aa-4073-ad72-d12e4fdcf25f"
  4. just curious

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    just curious: How many of you have more than 2 external drives attached to your system? I have 4 ,storage , backups, video and pic editing, and just text , music and comics. How many of you have moved your dvd to "a" or "b" drive? originally old floppy drives? Mines B drive. 129372
  5. Why aren't some of the Default Modern Apps installing after SysPrep?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why aren't some of the Default Modern Apps installing after SysPrep?: I installed the current version of Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v1809 updated to build 17763.134) in a Virtual Machine with an autounattend.xml script booting into Audit Mode after first reboot to customize the image! All the Store Apps installed and updated since my VM has an...
  6. Curious

in Windows 10 Support
    Curious: This is a pic of my drive can someone please in simple language atel me what the partitions contain - I have a rough idea but would appreciate knowing what they are 118689
  7. Curious...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Curious...: I'm waiting to see if the new users of Windows 9 still get themselves into trouble as they did with all the other Windows OS's. *Tongue Hopefully, {some} have learned through time, to be vigilant about security. *Wink 1755
  8. Curious

in Windows 10 Support
    Curious: I just read on here that after 30 days when upgrading from 7 to 10 all the 7 files will be deleted, is that true? I created my 2nd drive just to upgrade so don't really care if 7 is deleted unless it creates problems. How I actually got Win 10 to upgrade from 7 I'm not...
  9. Sysprep unable to validate installation. (yet another sysprep case)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sysprep unable to validate installation. (yet another sysprep case): Hey everyone, I hope you're doing fine. Well, I'll keep this short and to the point. I want to run sysprep on my Windows 10 Pro (x64) PC and I've faced many errors till now which I somehow managed to dodge , Now I've come across another problem. i have no clue about...
  10. Curious about Win 10 installs

in Windows 10 Support
    Curious about Win 10 installs: Is there a difference between a full install of Win 10 and the free upgrade? What I'm trying to ask is, once its installed, can you tell what you have? 15289