Windows 10: Some desktop icons appear as a blank white file instead of its associated icon

Discus and support Some desktop icons appear as a blank white file instead of its associated icon in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I was having a problem with my Desktop Icons appearing as a blank white file instead of its associated icon as you can see below. Some icons are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Hamiltonboy78, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Some desktop icons appear as a blank white file instead of its associated icon

I was having a problem with my Desktop Icons appearing as a blank white file instead of its associated icon as you can see below. Some icons are working normally and some don't.

Some desktop icons appear as a blank white file instead of its associated icon 568ab610-5bbe-4294-b99e-f98116ff48ed?upload=true.jpg

While I was doing research about this issue, most solutions were mentioning how the icon cache is corrupted. Not in my case though.

The issue actually happens because you are syncing with a OneDrive account and have run out of space. OneDrive, by default, is backing up your Desktop icons for what reason, I don't know as they are non-essential items and it has no more room to save the icon images.

To get the images back, you have to remove the Desktop folder from being synced with OneDrive. Now when I did this, those icons that were missing an image just disappeared and a new Icon appeared on my desktop called "Where are my files". If I open that link, Windows Explorer opened and showed me the full list of desktop icons that were removed and then I just had to cut and paste them back into my Desktop and the images appeared just fine.

:)

Hamiltonboy78, Jun 26, 2020
  2. XPEHOPE3 Win User

Two bugs in GPU-Z - icon and version number

I ran into the very same issue with the latest GPU-Z version at Win 10 x64 - I rename the desktop shortcut and after some time I see blank icon for it, and reinstall-rename solution also won't survive restart. The solution I came up with was to extract the icon from GPU-Z and use it instead. This is yet to disappear after multiple restarts.

XPEHOPE3, Jun 26, 2020
  3. Taimilk Win User
    White blank icons on desktop and in program tree.

I have this problem sometimes. It seems the icon cache database is corrupted for some reasons. I use the following steps to restore all white blank icons.

1. Start command prompt (WindowKey + R, type cmd)

2. In command prompt type "cd %userprofile%\appdata\local"

3. In command prompt type "del iconcache.db /a"

4. Start taskmanager (WindowKey + R, type taskmgr)

5. Find Windows Explorer and Right click | End Task

6. In taskmanager select File | New Task then type explorer

You should now fix all white blank icons on desktop.

Taimilk, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Some desktop icons appear as a blank white file instead of its associated icon

Appended icon in some files in Win7

Looks like this whole icon thing was some kind of explorer.exe bug ,the icon changed to a Diablo 3 icon , after another reboot, it changed back to the windows media "play" icon.

Nevermind ... I remember this bug elsewhere in another situation, happens sometimes when a lot of icons get randomly choosen instead of the correct one.

FIX: because of the permissions inherition when I had the files on my desktop this icon bug happen, when i moved them to the public D: drive, the permissions changed and the problem was fixed.

Win7 always has something to confuse the heck out of you.

RuskiSnajper, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Some desktop icons appear as a blank white file instead of its associated icon

1. Some desktop icons appear as a blank white file instead of its associated icon - Similar Threads - desktop icons appear

2. There is some icons appeared in my desktop file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is some icons appeared in my desktop file: Some icons have been shows up to my desktop file at first it was like exclamation markand it changes into red lock and brown boxwhat could be the reason?does all icon have different meaning ?...
  3. There is some icons appeared in my desktop file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There is some icons appeared in my desktop file: Some icons have been shows up to my desktop file at first it was like exclamation markand it changes into red lock and brown boxwhat could be the reason?does all icon have different meaning ?...
  4. There is some icons appeared in my desktop file

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Some icons appears in my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some icons appears in my desktop: I have Windows 10 and Im the only user as well. I dont know some apps apprears in my desktop. I dont want them and all of it is running in my task manager. I want to remove it but I need to know what are those apps first. Assist me please....
  6. Some icons appears in my desktop

Some icons appears in my desktop: I have Windows 10 and Im the only user as well. I dont know some apps apprears in my desktop. I dont want them and all of it is running in my task manager. I want to remove it but I need to know what are those apps first. Assist me please....
  7. Some icons on my desktop are white

Some icons on my desktop are white: i reset my PC and some of my icons on my desktop are white how do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-icons-on-my-desktop-are-white/fc57554f-2253-4123-bc77-1789f481f65c
  8. Some desktop icons are white on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Some desktop icons are white on startup: Hi everyone. I just installed Windows 10 Home on a brand new SSD (clean install) and I noticed that during every startup, some of my desktop icons are white. Immediately after, all the real icons shows up. All this happens very quickly, maybe in the space of a second or two....
  9. Some shortcut icons appear as blank pages

Some shortcut icons appear as blank pages: I have mostly shortcuts to PowerPoint files on my desktop. When I create the shortcuts by right clicking on the file, selecting create a shortcut, and then dragging the shortcut onto the desktop, more often than not the shortcut icon on the desktop appears as just a blank...
  10. White, blank, desktop icons

White, blank, desktop icons: Hello, My problem is this: All of the desktop icons for websites that I have loaded on my desktop suddenly all turned to white, blank icons. They were installed using the drag & drop method, which also no longer seems to work. What is the solution? I have tried to remove...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. icons are changed into white sheets unexpectedly in windows 10