Windows 10: Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.

Discus and support Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This started after I did a refresh installation. While many of the icons remain where they are, some of them refuse to stay put when I move them. They... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Syncopator, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.

This started after I did a refresh installation. While many of the icons remain where they are, some of them refuse to stay put when I move them. They spring to another position.

What might be causing this bizarre behaviour?

:)

Syncopator, Oct 12, 2017
  2. Rohn007 Win User

locking desktop icons where I place them

Short answer: You can't!

Windoze does not have a feature to do that. Windows will rearrange icons when ever it feels like.

I know of 2 options.

One is to:

"drink the coolaid"

"... if you can't beat em, join 'em..."

switch from using the desktop to using the start menu in the same way. I think it is possible given the new range of icon sizes you can create on the start menu. That along with the full screen option. Using the start menu also has the advantage of allowing
    you to use active icons.

This article gives a few ideas on how to make this work:

2017 10 24- YOU NEVER THOUGHT OF USING YOUR WINDOWS START MENU LIKE THIS!

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-start-menu...

<snip>

You don’t use your Start Menu much, do you? Besides the casual search for a program, most users don’t. Instead, it stays discretely nestled within the Windows UI never to meet its full potential. That is, until now! Read on to turn your Start Menu into a one-stop
    repository for almost anything you’d need to know from your PC.

1. Voice-Enabled Assistant - cortana

2. Folder and Program Organizer

3. Weather and News Forecaster

4. Game Drawer

5. Calendar and Note Taker

6. Fullscreen Start Menu

</snip>

The other option is to use a 3rd party tool. There are several. The only one I've actually used is Stardock Fences. I liiked it quite a bit.

Rohn007, Oct 12, 2017
  3. locking desktop icons where I place them

How can I lock my desktop icons in place so they don't rearrange themselves when I shut down my computer?

Hey Misses, Oct 12, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.

dalchina, Oct 12, 2017
  5. Thank you dalchina . What an astonishing assortment of possible fixes etc.

I'm getting rather long in the tooth and afraid that I simply don't have the patience to wade through all the possible cures. I will just have to resign myself to the annoyance.

But thank you once again.

Syncopator, Oct 12, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    There are 2 or 3 programs recommended there-
    DesktopOK - save and restore your desktop icons
    is one, if I recall - you can try it.

Another approach is to keep little on your desktop. It's a good way to work.

If you want lots of shortcuts available, you can use a much more flexible start menu to which you can easily add your own folders of shortcuts etc- drag 'n drop. It works better than win 10's and many here recommend it:
    Classic Shell (free).

It gives you the best of XP/Vista/Win 7 start menu styles and more.

dalchina, Oct 12, 2017
  7. Yes, I already use Classic Shell. Not yet explored it much though. I'll investigate.

Thank you.

Syncopator, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.

1. Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them. - Similar Threads - desktop icons won't

2. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my desktop icons stay in place: It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto arrange. Honestly it's just pissing me off now, is there anyway to fix this?...
  3. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't my desktop icons stay in place: It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto arrange. Honestly it's just pissing me off now, is there anyway to fix this?...
  4. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons not staying where I want them: Hi there - I have just switched from a desktop to a laptop, and I have a number of icons on my main screen. However, I like these icons to be grouped in a particular way - for example, all Word icons to be together, all Excel icons together, a Citrix icon on the top right of...
  5. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons not staying where I want them: Hi there - I have just switched from a desktop to a laptop, and I have a number of icons on my main screen. However, I like these icons to be grouped in a particular way - for example, all Word icons to be together, all Excel icons together, a Citrix icon on the top right of...
  6. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. I hope there's a way to have my Desktop icons stay where I place them

I hope there's a way to have my Desktop icons stay where I place them: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro. I have my; desktop icons arranged. Two rows, on the right And one row, on the left. Here's, the problem. For some reason. Sometimes all of he icons, end up on the left It's like they just, slammed over there. To put...
  8. Desktop Icons won't stay in same place

Desktop Icons won't stay in same place: I have to constantly rearrange my desktop icons to there original places, is there a setting to stop this???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-wont-stay-in-same-place/6f98e6b2-53f2-456e-889f-5446bfda110e
  9. desktop icons won't stay in place

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons won't stay in place: It's not the end of the world, but since a recent Windows update my desktop icons won't stay where I put them. In addition, after my computer boots up and everything is loaded, desktop icons do not appear on their own. I have to right click/view/show desktop icons....
  10. Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them: I like to position all my desktop icons in a custom order, but since I took my PC into the Geeks to remove a suspected virus, my desktop icons keep returning to default positions upon restart or refresh. I've experimented with unchecking grid and align options, and even...