Windows 10: Some *downloaded* videos from Youtube don't show thumbnails.

Discus and support Some *downloaded* videos from Youtube don't show thumbnails. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 20H2 19042.804 Hello! I'd just like to start off by mentioning that I'm pretty good with PCs. I've been using computers since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Xylem Flow, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Some *downloaded* videos from Youtube don't show thumbnails.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 20H2 19042.804

Hello!

I'd just like to start off by mentioning that I'm pretty good with PCs. I've been using computers since 1983 and I worked in IT for 20 years. So I kind of know what I'm doing. Sometimes. Some of the newer stuff confuses me, though. Get off my lawn, etc...

This is a pretty weird problem and it only started happening a few months ago. So I use video downloaders (Internet Download Manager and 4K Video Downloader mostly) to download videos from Youtube and other sites. I do this so I can keep my own copy of the video, and sometimes extract audio from them. These files are almost always MP4 or MKV.

Always in the past the thumbnails for these videos would display in Windows Explorer. Most video files show thumbnails by default, but for the ones that don't (mkv) I use the Media Preview Configurator to make them work. I've been doing that for years now with no issue.

But recently, some of the videos I download from Youtube (mp4 or mkv) don't display thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Just some of them. And Windows Explorer sort of hangs when browsing a folder in which these videos reside, sometimes to the point that I either have to restart Explorer or reboot. Once even my efforts to fix this screwed up ALL thumbnails and it took some doing to get it all working again.

I've tried converting these files to other formats using various converting tools (ffmpeg and Movavi mostly), but the converted files don't display thumbnails either. The format doesn't matter: avi, wmv, mov, mpg, m4v, etc.

It's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

Anyone know how to fix this? Or can tell me why this is happening?

Thanks.

:)

Xylem Flow, Feb 26, 2021

2. Downloading Youtube Videos

i noticed yesterday that i can no longer use ********************* to download youtube videos. i tried another downloader for youtube and no luck with it either. also rightclick is disabled when performing it on the video. i would like suggestions on which extension or standalone program i can use that will actually work to download yt videos. thanks

xXWhackerXx, Feb 26, 2021
  3. michael Win User
    How to download youtube videos in 1080P or maximum resolution available (4K)?

Hi Guys,

I would like to know, How to download youtube videos in 1080P or maximum resolution available (4K)?
    There are several softwares which allows you to do that , to download youtube videos in 1080P or more but are paid ones like Chrispc youtube downloader.. and other addons for browsers allow download of videos in 720P only..

Please guide/suggest some freewares or other options

Thanks,
    michael

michael, Feb 26, 2021
  4. banditrvp Win User

Some *downloaded* videos from Youtube don't show thumbnails.

File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t

In Windows 10 File Explorer, I see thumbnails for a few of my pdf files but still see the generic Adobe pdf icon for most of them.

• In Windows 10 folder options, the checkbox for “Always show icons, never thumbnails” is unchecked.
    • On the Adobe Reader preferences general tab, “Enable PDF thumbnails previews in Windows Explorer” is checked.
    • Adobe Acrobat is set as my default PDF viewer.
    • I have used Disk Cleanup to delete all my thumbnails to clear and rebuild the cache, yet the problem persists.
    Any suggestions on how I can see all the pdf icons as thumbnails?
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.657
    Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (20.006.20034)

I asked over in the Adobe Acrobat Reader forum a few days ago but have received no replies.

Some *downloaded* videos from Youtube don't show thumbnails. [​IMG]

Ron

banditrvp, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

Some *downloaded* videos from Youtube don't show thumbnails.

1. Some *downloaded* videos from Youtube don't show thumbnails. - Similar Threads - *downloaded* videos Youtube

2. Video thumbnails are not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video thumbnails are not showing: I built a new computer back in April last year and had Windows 11 installed on it. Everything was working fine except for the fact that for some reason the system would not show any thumbnail previews of any of my video files. That includes MP4s, MKVs, or even older formats...
  3. Video thumbnails are not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video thumbnails are not showing: I built a new computer back in April last year and had Windows 11 installed on it. Everything was working fine except for the fact that for some reason the system would not show any thumbnail previews of any of my video files. That includes MP4s, MKVs, or even older formats...
  4. Thumbnail on some videos not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnail on some videos not showing: Hi,Some of the videos are not showing thumbnails in Windows 10. I can see them in Windows 7. I have done all the settings shown in the View Tab. Nothing seem to be working.Can you please assist.Thanks....
  5. Video thumbnails not showing

Video thumbnails not showing: Hi all, so I have a strange issue with thumbnails for video files not showing - it's just the Film & TV icon. This happens ONLY for video files - pictures thumbnails show up just fine. The videos are typical MP4 files H264 encoding and play perfectly fine in the Film & TV...
  6. Photos & Videos Thumbnails don't show up

Photos & Videos Thumbnails don't show up: Basically when it's a jpg file the thumbnails shows up but when it's a PNG or MP4 file or any type of different file the thumbnail doesn't show up anymore, I tried going into system and check the "show thumbnail not icon" I tried going into folder options and do the same...
  7. Some File Explorer thumbnails don't show

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some File Explorer thumbnails don't show: Just a couple of days ago I updated Windows 10 to v1909 from v1809. However, since the update, some MP4 video files don't show their thumbnails in File Explorer like in the previous version. I have no problem with videos that have a thumbnail embedded in the file. But some...
  8. Some thumbnails don't show up for saved video files

Some thumbnails don't show up for saved video files: Some thumbnails don't show up for saved video files in file explorer which is very frustrating because i want to know what i'm about to view before i click on it....
  9. PDF files_ Some show thumbnail image, some don't?

in Windows 10 Support
    PDF files_ Some show thumbnail image, some don't?: I am having this problem with PDF files. Some of them show the 1st page of the file(mostly books front cover) as thumbnail image on the desktop, and, inside folders, but, some don't show the thumbnail image of the first page in the file. These files that don't show the...
  10. Downloading Youtube Videos

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloading Youtube Videos: i noticed yesterday that i can no longer use ********************* to download youtube videos. i tried another downloader for youtube and no luck with it either. also rightclick is disabled when performing it on the video. i would like suggestions on which extension or...