Windows 10: Some External Drives Not Working, Plug and Play Not Functioning Correctly

Discus and support Some External Drives Not Working, Plug and Play Not Functioning Correctly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My old threads were locked, so I'll summarize them here. Would like to receive an affirmative statement of what specific "update" or "upgrade" will fix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Man vs. Machine, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Some External Drives Not Working, Plug and Play Not Functioning Correctly

My old threads were locked, so I'll summarize them here. Would like to receive an affirmative statement of what specific "update" or "upgrade" will fix this, nothing so far. I literally have to swap out hard drives in order to do my backups! I have several external drives that do not work on my computer. The problem coincides with the 20H2 "upgrade." My most recently used devices had their configuration data in the registry preserved, but the configuration data associated with less-used devices, including backups, was partially destroyed. Here is a sample from Setup API Log:cmd: C:\WINDOWS\sy

:)

Man vs. Machine, Jun 22, 2022

2. Plugging in usb drive stops music playing (usb drive is accessible)

This is a brand new Fusion5 tablet running Windows 10.

It plays sound correctly.

I can plug in a usb external drive and access the files on it.

But if I am playing music and then plug in the usb external drive, the drive is accessible but the sound immediately stops.

(If I plug the drive in and then start the music, there is also no sound).

Since all our music is on the external drive, this is not going to be an effective stereo!

Help!

Thanks,

Rosemary

Rosemary_7211, Jun 22, 2022
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Jun 22, 2022
  4. Some External Drives Not Working, Plug and Play Not Functioning Correctly

3.5 plug and play external drive

Hi Larry,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• What exactly happens when you try to open the file?
    • Do you get any error message or error code on the screen?
    • If yes, what exactly is the error message?
    • Have you tried to connect hard drive in different computer?
    • Have you tried to connect external hard drive with different USB port?
    As of now, I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if it helps.

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on troubleshooting, then click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.
    Please get back to us with a reply so that we can assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jun 22, 2022
Thema:

Some External Drives Not Working, Plug and Play Not Functioning Correctly

1. Some External Drives Not Working, Plug and Play Not Functioning Correctly - Similar Threads - External Drives Working

2. BSOD When plugging in external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD When plugging in external drive: Hi! I've been trying to fix this issue for a couple of days now, so hopefully someone here can help.I have two internal and two external NVME drives on my machine. The first external NVME drive has been running well for a couple of months. The second one I just purchased....
  3. BSOD When plugging in external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD When plugging in external drive: Hi! I've been trying to fix this issue for a couple of days now, so hopefully someone here can help.I have two internal and two external NVME drives on my machine. The first external NVME drive has been running well for a couple of months. The second one I just purchased....
  4. I cannot get plug-and-play to work for DVDRAM GSA-T20L external drive on Windows 11

I cannot get plug-and-play to work for DVDRAM GSA-T20L external drive on Windows 11: I bought a generic DVD reader off of Amazon, and my device will not recognize it. All of the drivers that I've found online are for earlier versions of Windows....
  5. Plug n Play not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Plug n Play not working: been having this issue for the past 5 years since i moved to win 10 the issue is that after a period of time plug N play stops recognizing unplugging and plugging in of devices forcing me to wither restart the hole pc or logging off this have been an issue across 10+ fresh...
  6. Plug n Play not working

Plug n Play not working: been having this issue for the past 5 years since i moved to win 10 the issue is that after a period of time plug N play stops recognizing unplugging and plugging in of devices forcing me to wither restart the hole pc or logging off this have been an issue across 10+ fresh...
  7. Plug n Play not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Some External Drives Not Working, Plug and Play Not Functioning Correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some External Drives Not Working, Plug and Play Not Functioning Correctly: My old threads were locked, so I'll summarize them here. Would like to receive an affirmative statement of what specific "update" or "upgrade" will fix this, nothing so far. I literally have to swap out hard drives in order to do my backups! I have several external drives...
  9. Some External Drives Not Working, Plug and Play Not Functioning Correctly

Some External Drives Not Working, Plug and Play Not Functioning Correctly: My old threads were locked, so I'll summarize them here. Would like to receive an affirmative statement of what specific "update" or "upgrade" will fix this, nothing so far. I literally have to swap out hard drives in order to do my backups! I have several external drives...
  10. windows key not working and some apps not functioning correctly

in Windows 10 Support
    windows key not working and some apps not functioning correctly: (Build 19043.1165)so i recently had an issue with drive space specifically on my C: drive. It was full and i was moving things from there to my D: drive which was empty. i assumed the best thing to do was to take the two largest folders (being Program Files and Program Files...