Windows 10: Some firefox problems

Discus and support Some firefox problems in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Firefox is slow/sluggish when scrolling websites. (Solved by disabling smooth scrolling in options) Firefox is slow to load videos. If I fast forward a... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Cerawy, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Cerawy Win User

Some firefox problems

• Firefox is slow/sluggish when scrolling websites. (Solved by disabling smooth scrolling in options)
    • Firefox is slow to load videos. If I fast forward a video, the video will freeze and I have to wait 5-10 seconds for the video to load. Microsoft edge loads videos instantly. (Solved by reinstalling windows)
    • Sometimes firefox simply fails to load a website that other browsers have no issues loading. (Solved by reinstalling windows)
    • Sometimes firefox refuses to load a video and says that I have to install adobe flash player even if I already have it installed. (Solved by reinstalling windows)
    • Firefox takes about 5 seconds to open when I click on the icon on my taskbar. All other browsers I have used opens instantly. (Solved by using ccleaner to disable the system addons that comes with firefox, the time it takes to open firefox is about 1 second with this tweak)
    • I want to disable web push notifications. I have to click "do not allow" whenever one of these pops up. Firefox doesn't remember my choice for some reason. (Solved by setting dom.webnotifications.enabled to false in about:config)
    • Firefox is slow/laggy compared with microsoft edge. (Solved by using ccleaner to disable the system addons that comes with firefox, creating a fresh profile as well as upgrading to quantum)
    • Firefox spawns a duplicate icon on my taskbar. One icon is enough. (Solved by reinstalling windows)
    • Sometimes firefox crashes while loading a video, even though the internet is working. (Solved by reinstalling windows)
    • The minimum font size feature only works on some websites. Some websites becomes completely messed up.
    • Firefox seems to randomly open some of the websites that were previously open when I start it. Sometimes it creates a message with a list of previously visited websites. I want to disable this. (Solved by setting browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false)
    • Keyboard scrolling sometimes lags when using the arrow keys for scrolling. (Solved, this was most likely a combination of my old bluetooth keyboard and firefox lagging)
    • Firefox asks for websites to track my geographical location. I want to disable this. (Solved by setting geo.enabled to false)
    • Firefox freezes for a few seconds randomly sometimes. (Solved by installing firefox quantum)
    • I want to disable the crash reporter pop-up window without sending any information to mozilla.
    • Get rid of the book icon on the toolbar. (Solved by setting reader.parse-on-load.enabled to false)
    • The menu button and back button changes color to white, so its almost impossible to see the buttons. This is caused by this XP luna theme. It also seems to change the toolbar color from blue to black randomly sometimes. I want to keep the luna XP theme though.
    • Firefox doesn't update my addons automatically.
    • Sometimes firefox blocks harmless websites and you have to click on add an exception to get access to the website.
    • Get rid of the bookmark this page icon in the top right corner. (Solved, see post #131 in this thread)
    • Get rid of the page actions button in the top right corner.
    • Get rid of the show history button that shows a list of previously visited websites.
    • I want to change the adress bar click behavior, so clicking once selects all the text. (Solved by making sure that browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll is set to true in about:config)
    • I want to Set focus to the web page instead of the address bar. (Solved by installing this addon)
    • I want to delete individual websites from the adress bar that i have misspelled. (Solved, see this guide)
    • Get rid of the overflow menu. (Solved, see post #176 in this thread)
    • Sometimes, firefox refuses to open regardless of how many times i click on it. (Solved by using revo uninstaller to completely uninstall FF and installing it again)
    • Get rid of the full screen message that tells you that firefox is running in fullscreen. (Solved by setting full-screen-api.warning.timeout to 0 in about:config)
    • Stop firefox from popping up and telling that it has been updated.
    • I want to hide the referrer header, so websites wont be able to track my browsing activity. (Solved by setting network.http.sendrefererheader to 0 in about:config)

:)

Cerawy, Sep 3, 2017

2. start menu stopped working

Cannot get start menu to pop up. Worked till yesterday, now won't. Turned off computer and back on - still won't work

problems-problems, Sep 3, 2017
  3. 93tid Win User
    Microsoft should keep the lumia model

Do you use an ad blocker in Firefox ? There seems to be an issue with uBlock Origin and FF.

93tid, Sep 3, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Some firefox problems

• Click the menu button and then click help .
    • From the Help menu choose Troubleshooting Information. ...
    • Click the Refresh Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
    • To continue, click Refresh Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
    • Firefox will close to refresh itself.

Samuria, Sep 3, 2017
  5. This is not really good advice, as Firefox Refresh does not do what most people expect it to do, and leaves the users quite confused and not knowing what to do. For examples of this, go to Index page mozillaZine Forums ; there, in the Search/Boards: box, enter Refresh, then read a few of the links that provides.

My suggestion is, rather, to use the standard Fx diagnostic tests to try to isolate and fix the problem(s):

Standard diagnostic - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Not Myself, Sep 3, 2017
  6. Cerawy Win User
    Could you post a screengrab? I can't find the troubleshoot information button.

Cerawy, Sep 12, 2017
  7. Some firefox problems [​IMG]

Josey Wales, Sep 12, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Some firefox problems

What version of Firefox is that? My 55.0.3 on the Release Channel looks quite different. For me it's found on the Menu bar under Help. By default the Menu bar is hidden, but it will show if you press the Alt key.

Or just type about:support in the address bar.

9. Cerawy Win User
    I don't see the submit feedback button on my version of firefox. I also didn't find anything when I searched for troubleshoot information/submit feedback in the about:support tab.

With that being said, I managed to make firefox way more responsive. What I did is that I used CCleaner to disable all the firefox extensions, except the ones that I use (see the screengrab). Firefox seems to be loaded with extensions that slows it down tremendously. It has also reduced the start up time to about 1 second.

Cerawy, Sep 17, 2017
  10. CCleaner is known to cause serious problems with Firefox, as you can easily learn about by doing a search for it on mozillaZine.

I gave you the link to the diagnostics for Fx, which apparently you have not run. If you do not, then there is nothing I can do to assist you in fixing problems; it is your choice to either try the diagnosis or continue to have problems with Fx.

Not Myself, Sep 17, 2017
  11. bo elam Win User
    Cerawy, you should test using a new Firefox profile. When you do, you dont have to delete the profile you currently using. Testing using a new profile is a good test as Firefox runs without any of your extensions, and without any changes you might of made in about:config. If all runs well with the new profile, you can keep using it and as you add your extensions and make changes in Firefox, it would be easy to detect if one is causing your issues. If you still have issues with the new profile, your problems might be caused by another software, like your antivirus, etc.
    Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Bo

bo elam, Sep 17, 2017
  12. Cerawy Win User
    I just uninstalled CCleaner. I don't see any difference from when it was installed. What did make a difference though was using CCleaner to disable all the extensions that firefox comes loaded with. They are still disabled after CCleaner has been uninstalled.

Will check them out and come back here with the results.

@bo elam thanks, will try it out.

Cerawy, Sep 18, 2017
  13. Some firefox problems

Not Myself, Sep 19, 2017
  14. Gerry5039 Win User
    I have finally uninstalled Firefox as my browser of preference, I am sick and tired of being told what addons I can and can't install, they have gone beyond that, what was once the best browser to the worst.

I will never donate to them any further, I have now moved over to Edge and will never go back.

I choose what I want not them.

Gerry5039, Sep 19, 2017
  15. Flashorn Win User
    I have installed Firefox ESR as the "regular" Firefox was getting slow and sluggish.

Firefox Extended Support Release FAQ — Mozilla

My regular browser has been Opera for some time now though:

PC Browser | Fast, Safe Free Browser for Windows | Opera

The only disadvantage is the space needed for the cache which grows every time
    you use it.

I use and have been using CCleaner since it came out and Never ran into problems with it.
    Just use common sense and don't use the Registry cleaner or Any for that matter.

Flashorn, Sep 19, 2017
Thema:

Some firefox problems

1. Some firefox problems - Similar Threads - firefox problems

2. Problem with using Firefox and Roll Back Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with using Firefox and Roll Back Windows: I’m a music producer using a win10 pc. My daw’s and apps don’t work with Microsoft so I use Firefox default and no matter which expensive daw I upgrade too after a short time it stops working costing me tons of $. I had no idea that it was Microsoft that were changing my...
  3. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  4. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  5. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  7. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  8. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. More Problems with FIREFOX

in Windows 10 Gaming
    More Problems with FIREFOX: Just Installed Updates on Win 11. Now FIREFOX won't open MSN Homepage. It opens other sites, and Homepage opens from EDGE. Searches indicate that something downloaded with Updates might be preventing FIREFOX. Re-installing FIREFOX didn't fix it this time. Any help, please?...
  10. More Problems with FIREFOX

More Problems with FIREFOX: Just Installed Updates on Win 11. Now FIREFOX won't open MSN Homepage. It opens other sites, and Homepage opens from EDGE. Searches indicate that something downloaded with Updates might be preventing FIREFOX. Re-installing FIREFOX didn't fix it this time. Any help, please?...