Windows 10: Some firefox problems

Discus and support Some firefox problems in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; If you should happen to hit this: At http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox), the link to "Run the Check Disk error-checking tool... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Cerawy, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Cerawy Win User

Some firefox problems

I don't really get what you mean. The link opens a support page for vista/7 on how to run the check disk tool + a scandisk support page for windows 98/me. I can run a check disk but i doubt thats the problem, im on a fresh install of windows and my ssd is brand new. I am going to go through the rest of the guide tough, but it will take some time since there is a lot of steps.

Cerawy, Sep 19, 2017

2. It is very simple: As I wrote, if you had encountered the problem, it was then solved. If you did not encounter it, then it is of no matter whatsoever, which is the basic meaning of the word "if."

As for checkdsk, follow the instructions, unless you don't believe that even a brand-new disk can have problems. I had a sad experience of this very nature several months ago, one which, because Dell totally mishandled the problem, and would not listen to me, a mere computer user, caused me a tremendous amount of aggravation, even some money.

What was this about? It seemed as though my WiFi card was going bad, so I made an in-warranty phone call to see what could be done. That call was well handled; it took about an hour, and the tech determined that,yes, the card was going bad. As my warranty calls for in-home service, the card was replaced the next day, whereupon I had no WiFi on my computer. From there, the situation quickly deteriorated. First, Dell insisted that my ISP had changed its settings, even when I pointed out my wife's computer and my smart phone, both of which are on the same WiFi system as my computer, continued to work perfectly. Total nonsense ensued, until, a month later, the replacement WiFi card was finally replaced, and my computer once again had WiFi.

It was, to me, evident from the moment that the first replacement card was installed and my computer restarted, that it was nothing more than a defective card. Sadly, I was correct, and due to my strident complaining, i had good phone conversation with a tech support supervisor, who not only agreed completely with me, assured me that the case would be discussed in depth at the next tech support crew meeting, and that steps would be taken to try to prevent any future similar episodes.

While this was a horrid experience, I had a rather amusing one many years ago, when the telephone repair man would not listen to me. As the fire chief, I had a direct phone number to call if my phone was out, which I used, and I got a fairly quick visit by a phone company technician. I knew precisely both the physical location and the number on the junction box from where the buried line reached my house; I told the tech this, but he insisted on calling his dispatcher, who kept giving him absurd "locations" of the junction box, so he left for a while to go to another house where he knew the setup. When he came back, he again called dispatch; the look on the repair man's face as he was speaking with the dispatcher, was, to me hilarious, as I knew what the man would say when he hung up. Yes, he had just been given the location and number of the junction box for our phone service, which just happened to be identical with the information I had given him over two hours earlier.

Not Myself, Sep 19, 2017
  3. Cerawy Win User
    Well, serves you right for buying Dell. *Tongue

Cerawy, Sep 20, 2017
  4. bo elam Win User

Some firefox problems

Cerawy, the Firefox profile manager is a tool we have available for detecting the cause of issues like the ones you are having now. Use it. Let me tell you a quick story. I used Adblock plus for about 9 years, never an issue. But six months ago I started experiencing slight freezes, specially immediately after opening Firefox. After a couple of minutes, most of the time all would be OK but not every time. After experiencing the issue for a couple of days, I was disgusted and opened the Firefox profile manager, and tested using a hew profile. In less than 5 minutes, I had detected that the cause of my issue was Adblock plus. Thats how long it took. How did I detected it? Well, inmediatedly after installing ABP, the issue showed up. Later I found out that there was a bug with the version of ABP I was using.

You can do the same. Its very easy to open the Firefox profile manager, and use it for testing. Let me show you with pictures.

Copy and paste: "firefox.exe -p" in the Search bar, and click to open.

Some firefox problems [​IMG]

That opens the Firefox profile manager, Click Create Profile.

When this widow opens up, Click Next.

In the following Window, name the profile. You can name it Test as in the example. And Click Finish.

In the following screen, you select the Profile you want Firefox to start with. You can untick, "Use the selected profile without asking at startup". That way, Firefox will give you the option for you to select the profile when you click the Firefox icon. After testing, if you want to keep using the new profile, you can. You can keep both profiles if you want. If you want to delete one or the other, open the profile manager, you can see the option for deleting profiles in screen 2.

Not as good as Brinks tutorials but perhaps testing with a new profile helps you determine whats causing your issues. Is easy and it works.

Bo

bo elam, Sep 20, 2017
  5. Cerawy Win User
    I just created a new profile with firefox. Will test it a bit and see what works.

Cerawy, Sep 29, 2017
  6. Cerawy Win User
    Alright so I did some testing and first thing I notice is that firefox runs a lot smoother and is more responsive. Sadly, it didn't solve any of the other problems.

Cerawy, Oct 3, 2017
  7. I am running Firefox 57 Beta 5 and Nightly 58 Both 64 Bit and they share the same profile so there is no need for that profile manager. I am have no problems at all. Just an FYI

Josey Wales, Oct 3, 2017
  8. Cerawy Win User

Some firefox problems

What did you do specifically to prevent firefox from randomly opening old sessions when you start it up?

Cerawy, Oct 3, 2017
  9. I have it set to open the Firefox default start page which is a New Tab. I never had it open old sessions. Maybe you are not closing it all the way on the previous use, Some versions of Firefox are like that.

Josey Wales, Oct 4, 2017
  10. Tools/Options/General/Startup/When Firefox Starts: Change the setting.

Not Myself, Oct 4, 2017
  11. Cerawy Win User
    I have it set to Google but the old sessions still pops up randomly sometimes when I start firefox.

Cerawy, Oct 4, 2017
  12. Edwin New Member
    Perhaps Firefox is not shutting down properly.
    You could try resetting Firefox.
    Alternatively, you could try 3 about:config settings:

browser.sessionhistory.max_entries set to 0

browser.sessionstore.max_resumed_crashes set to 0

browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash set to false

Play around with them, see if it helps.

Edwin, Oct 4, 2017
  13. Cerawy Win User

Some firefox problems

I have changed the settings, but I will have to give it some days to test it since the problem occours randomly.

P.S. I think I have found a way to disable the web push notifications, you have to set dom.push.enabled to false in about:config. I wish I knew some website that would make the web push notifications appear so I could test if it works.

Update: I just tested it using this website. Setting dom.push.enabled to false didn't work. Setting dom.webnotifications.serviceworker.enabled to false didn't work either. Checking the do not disturb button didn't help either because it unchecks itself everytime I close firefox for some reason. Clicking always block notifications only works for the individual websites. Very annoying. Firefox is basically producing spam right in my face without giving me any options to disable it. Still looking for a solution to this problem.

Cerawy, Oct 4, 2017
  14. Have you tried deleting Firefox, then deleting the entire Firefox folder in Program Files (x86). and reinstalling Fx? This is not a common method of repairing Fx, but is sometimes recommended when the program simply will not run properly and the usual ways of repairing it don't work.

Doing that will not harm anything, but might produce a better-functioning Firefox.

Not Myself, Oct 4, 2017
  15. Cerawy Win User
    Yes, I have tried installing firefox on a fresh windows installation. Googling these issues brings lots of people with the same problems, but with poor support from the developers. They should at least had added an option to disable web push notifications.

Cerawy, Oct 5, 2017
Thema:

Some firefox problems

1. Some firefox problems - Similar Threads - firefox problems

2. Problem with using Firefox and Roll Back Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with using Firefox and Roll Back Windows: I’m a music producer using a win10 pc. My daw’s and apps don’t work with Microsoft so I use Firefox default and no matter which expensive daw I upgrade too after a short time it stops working costing me tons of $. I had no idea that it was Microsoft that were changing my...
  3. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  4. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  5. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  7. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  8. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. More Problems with FIREFOX

in Windows 10 Gaming
    More Problems with FIREFOX: Just Installed Updates on Win 11. Now FIREFOX won't open MSN Homepage. It opens other sites, and Homepage opens from EDGE. Searches indicate that something downloaded with Updates might be preventing FIREFOX. Re-installing FIREFOX didn't fix it this time. Any help, please?...
  10. More Problems with FIREFOX

More Problems with FIREFOX: Just Installed Updates on Win 11. Now FIREFOX won't open MSN Homepage. It opens other sites, and Homepage opens from EDGE. Searches indicate that something downloaded with Updates might be preventing FIREFOX. Re-installing FIREFOX didn't fix it this time. Any help, please?...