Windows 10: Some firefox problems

Discus and support Some firefox problems in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; ...............so there is no need for that profile manager. I am have no problems at all. Just an FYI My suggestion to test using a new Firefos... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Cerawy, Sep 3, 2017.

1. bo elam Win User

Some firefox problems

My suggestion to test using a new Firefos profile to determine where his problems comes from was a lot better than yours (Do nothing). This thread is about his Firefox issues and not about how great Firefox works for you. Testing using a new profile is a tool we have available for diagnosing and fixing problems, it usually works.

Bo

bo elam, Oct 5, 2017
  2. Cerawy Win User

Did anyone find a way to disable the web push notifications? They are the most intrusive right now and it gets annoying after clicking them away so many times.

Cerawy, Oct 9, 2017
  3. It took me perhaps fifteen seconds to do a Google search, which turned up this information; I make no claims as to its accuracy nor its usefulness, as I have not even read the information or taken advantage of whatever it tells its reader to do:.

(Pedantic comment: Note the proper use of `its', without an apostrophe.)

Web Push notifications in Firefox | Firefox Help

Not Myself, Oct 9, 2017
  4. Cerawy Win User

Some firefox problems

I know what a web push notification is, they are annoying. Sadly, the firefox website doesn't mention any way to disable it permanently, unless I missed something.

Cerawy, Oct 9, 2017
  5. Well, in a way, yes, you did miss something, as the linked file is somewhat out-of-date, but if you go to Options and search for Notifications, you will be taken to the Privacy & Security Page, where you will find an entry for Permissions; ironically enough, that entry has a link to the page I sent the link to you earlier.

There is an entry there specifically for "Do not disturb me." I'm not certain why it seems to say that the setting might be changed when you restart Fx: While I am not in the habit of checking that, I don't get notifications, so have to suspect that the wording is itself suspect.

Not Myself, Oct 9, 2017
  6. Cerawy Win User
    Yes, I clicked that button many times, doesn't help. It unchecks itself again.

Should problably also say that I have been testing firefox with the new profile for some time, and so far firefox hasn't been as slow and sluggish as before. I suspect that the addons I was using may have been slowing firefox?

Cerawy, Oct 10, 2017
  7. I am going to start this reply by stating that you are having entirely too many problems with Fx. Unfortunately, I have no single thing that I can suggest, based on the earlier suggestions in this thread, that will fix most, if not all, of those problems, nor do I know of any such item.

For example, you state that Fx is now not as slow as it was previously, but you do not state that it is fast. Of course, without any specifics as to what constitutes `slow' and `fast', it is impossible to determine if what you are now experiencing is reasonable, whatever "reasonable" means. Yes, improvement could very well be due to removal of one or more extensions and/or plugins. Those two things are contained in the word "addons"; extensions, by themselves, are extensions, not addons.

To your latest problem; here is a link to a set of steps to try when settings are not retained; please do not use the first step, called Refresh; that causes many more problems than it cures, is poorly described by Mozilla, and should be avoided:

How to fix preferences that wont save | Firefox Help

Not Myself, Oct 11, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

Some firefox problems

In about:config, try setting either or both of these to false:

Some firefox problems [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 11, 2017
  9. Cerawy Win User
    I don't think there is a single fix to the problems, they will have to be solved with time.

I think its reasonable fast with a new profile and without addons. I will try to install my addons one by one to see if it slows firefox.

I have tried both, they didn't help. With that being said, I have found the correct one. Its called dom.webnotifications.enabled, similar to the one you suggested.

Setting it to false seems to get rid of the annoying pop-ups.

Cerawy, Oct 11, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    *Thumbs

Edwin, Oct 11, 2017
  11. Cerawy Win User
    I just tried disabling all the default extensions that comes with firefox again. Firefox has gotten lightning quick. Seems like a fresh profile without any addons plus disabling all the build in junk extensions makes firefox run fast and smooth. It just sucks that you need a program to disable the extensions.

Will try to install some of my addons to see if it affects performance.

Cerawy, Oct 11, 2017
  12. What "all the default extensions" are you writing about? There should be very few to none with a new Fx profile. I just created such a profile, and found two extensions;.One was for Free Download Manager, and it was disabled; it was not installed by Firefox, but by Free Download Manager, which is installed in Windows; the second was some sort of experimental extension from Mozilla, which I disabled; curiously, when I restarted the new profile, that extension no longer appeared, not even as a disabled one.

Three plugsins, one required by Mozilla (the video codec,) one provided by Google for playing protected web video (Widevine content,) and the third was Flash. As with Free Download Manager's extension, the Flash plugin is not installed by Fx; Flash is installed in Windows, and it automatically finds any newly-created Fx profiles and installs there.

If you are getting much more than that, it is yet another example of my statement that I think you have multiple problems, and need to do some serious cleaning of your computer.

Not Myself, Oct 11, 2017
  13. Cerawy Win User

Some firefox problems

Activity stream, click-to-play staged rollout, firefox screenshots, follow-on search telemetry, form autofill, multi-process staged rollout, photon onboarding, pocket, web compat, openh264 video codec and shield recipe client (there is two shield recipe clients but one of them won't be disabled for some reason). There is also one default extension by google which apparently doesn't have a name.

Firefox comes spring loaded with extensions, and most of them doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than slowing firefox.

Well they come build in with firefox, so they will be there even if you reinstall windows.

Cerawy, Oct 11, 2017
  14. Activity stream is not an extension; it is a replacement for New Tab Page. I had to look it up, having no idea what it might be. Similarly, Screenshots is not an extension; as with Activity, it is an operating part, to coin a name for it, of Fx. Same goes for Pocket. I have no idea if any of these slows down Fx, as I disable them. In fact, most of the items you cite are not extensions; if they were, they would appear in the Add-on Manager. That is why they are found/disabled in other locations; Pocket, for example, is found on a toolbar and/or in a menu, and is disabled through clicking on that and choosing the desired action. (I disable Pocket through Classic Theme Restorer, which is why I have never seen it; CTR will not work in Fx 57, and I don't know if a CSS replacement for that option has yet been created.)

Shield Client is the one whose name I could not remember; why I did not get it when I updated to v 56.0, I have no idea. The first encounter was in the profile I created a while ago to check for built-in extensions. That you have two copies, one of which can not be removed, is puzzling and/or concerning, but I can offer no assistance with that.

I could argue with your assertion that these parts of Fx, whatever their proper generic name is, serve no purpose, but I have no desire to enter into a discussion of this, partially as I don't use some of them, so have no idea of what purpose they might serve. I only know that Fx users do use such things as Pocket; I only know that through seeing forum threads about such whatever they are.

Not Myself, Oct 11, 2017
  15. bo elam Win User
    You can get rid of both plugins that come with the new profile by toggling "media.gmp-provider.enabled" to false in about:config . I have been doing it for years, it has never caused an issue.

Under Extensions, I see one being installed with a new profile. Its something new, never seen it before. I play with profiles every week, last time I created one that extension was not there. But is easy to get rid of it. Click Remove.

Bo

bo elam, Oct 11, 2017
Thema:

Some firefox problems

1. Some firefox problems - Similar Threads - firefox problems

2. Problem with using Firefox and Roll Back Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with using Firefox and Roll Back Windows: I’m a music producer using a win10 pc. My daw’s and apps don’t work with Microsoft so I use Firefox default and no matter which expensive daw I upgrade too after a short time it stops working costing me tons of $. I had no idea that it was Microsoft that were changing my...
  3. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  4. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  5. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  7. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  8. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. More Problems with FIREFOX

in Windows 10 Gaming
    More Problems with FIREFOX: Just Installed Updates on Win 11. Now FIREFOX won't open MSN Homepage. It opens other sites, and Homepage opens from EDGE. Searches indicate that something downloaded with Updates might be preventing FIREFOX. Re-installing FIREFOX didn't fix it this time. Any help, please?...
  10. More Problems with FIREFOX

More Problems with FIREFOX: Just Installed Updates on Win 11. Now FIREFOX won't open MSN Homepage. It opens other sites, and Homepage opens from EDGE. Searches indicate that something downloaded with Updates might be preventing FIREFOX. Re-installing FIREFOX didn't fix it this time. Any help, please?...