Windows 10: Some font settings get reset to default every time Windows updates

Discus and support Some font settings get reset to default every time Windows updates in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have set some things so I can see 'em better. I change the icon font, title bar font, message font, status bar font to a little bigger size and bold.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KenY7744, Sep 27, 2018.

1. KenY7744 Win User

Some font settings get reset to default every time Windows updates

I have set some things so I can see 'em better. I change the icon font, title bar font, message font, status bar font to a little bigger size and bold. I also set the mouse to automatically move to the default button in a dialog box (in tab of POINTER OPTIONS tab in CONTROL PANEL Mouse applet, not the mouse properties in SETTINGS).

Every time a minor or major Windows update comes along, all of these settings revert to the default. Is there any way to prevent this, or to create a registry patch to update them back to my desired settings in one swell foop?

:)

KenY7744, Sep 27, 2018

2. RESETTING THE DEFAULT FONTS?

Hello,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have performed. To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• Did you delete any fonts from the system?
    • Which Windows 10 build are you using?
    • When you say ''Tried the one in the font menu but it didn't work!
      ‘’did you tried the option Restore default fonts settings? If not you can try the below steps.
    Let’s try to restore the default fonts settings and check if this helps.

• Type fonts on the Windows search bar and select
      Fonts.

• Click on Font settings on the left pane and click on
      Restore default fonts settings.

• Click on OK.
    Check if this helps. Let us know the result.

Billion Debbarma, Sep 27, 2018
  3. Arul_D Win User
    In Windows 10 how do I return the font on my desktop icons to the default setting?

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to restore to default font settings in windows 10.

• Type fonts in the search and press enter

• Click on Font settings

• Click on Restore default font settings.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Arul_D, Sep 27, 2018
  4. Some font settings get reset to default every time Windows updates

Times new roman bold font

To further isolate the concern, we suggest that you restore default settings and check if it helps. See steps below:

• Press the Windows key + X, and then click on Control
      Panel.
    • Change the View by to large/small
      icons, and then click on Fonts.
    • On the left pane, click on Font settings.
    • Under Font settings, click on Restore default font settings.

If restoring the default font settings does not bring back the Times New Roman Regular font, we suggest that if you have another computer with Windows 10, you can copy the Times New Roman Regular font into your PC's Font folder.

Patricia Yu, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

Some font settings get reset to default every time Windows updates

1. Some font settings get reset to default every time Windows updates - Similar Threads - font settings reset

2. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  3. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  4. Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop: Not sure what is happening but this starting happening with the most recent update. I am unable to sync my settings. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-resetting-to-default-settings-or-loading-a/d0612fd9-10bf-4c2c-a19b-34b0312e30f1
  5. Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop

Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop: Not sure what is happening but this starting happening with the most recent update. I am unable to sync my settings. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-resetting-to-default-settings-or-loading-a/d0612fd9-10bf-4c2c-a19b-34b0312e30f1
  6. Windows prompts to set default program, every time I update MPC-BE

Windows prompts to set default program, every time I update MPC-BE: Win 10 Home x64 1909.18363.836 Hello all! New to Win10, and quite a few little 'quirks' I've yet to be able to resolve myself, so, I'll be posting here on occasion until I get everything sorted to my liking. One at a time, of course! Today's major frustration: I use...
  7. Windows update reset settings and resets every time I restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update reset settings and resets every time I restart: Ever since I downloaded the Windows update back in late February my settings were reset to default and every time I shut down and restart my computer the settings revert back to default again so I have to redo all my default programs like chrome rather than edge and adobe...
  8. Setting a font as default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting a font as default: My laptop came with a default font Calibri. I want to change the default font to Times Roman. I have followed instructions to change the default font but it is not happening and Calibri remains the default. Is there a way of resolving this?...
  9. Default app will be reset every time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default app will be reset every time: Hello dear friends, I tried many way(safe mode, set default app by right click on each file,...) but unfortunately every time after restart windows default apps change to default unfortunately I can't restore windows to original one because of many app that installed! So...
  10. Cannot Reset Default Font

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Reset Default Font: I changed the default font at some point in the past and I want to change it back to the default. The method of changing it by going to Fonts/Font Settings and then clicking Restore default fong settings does not work, it only sits there and does nothing. What's going on...