Windows 10: Some general driver inf file questions

Discus and support Some general driver inf file questions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to update a driver from windows 7 to windows 10. The drier will only be installed on systems with intel chips.1. Microsoft requires that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by James Bloom-Scheff, May 10, 2022.

1. Some general driver inf file questions

I'm trying to update a driver from windows 7 to windows 10. The drier will only be installed on systems with intel chips.1. Microsoft requires that the .inf file contain a NTamd64 but doesn't require a NTia64 section. Isn't NTia64 what I want, considering that it is for intel, but I shouldn't need an NTamd64 section? Clearly, I'm missing something fairly basic. Maybe, I am misunderstanding the difference between amd and ia.2. Along the same lines, if include the [Standard.NTia64] but don't put anything in it, I get errors when I'm trying to install the driver. When I include stuff, I don't get

:)

James Bloom-Scheff, May 10, 2022
  2. Hans Win User

Quick question about .inf files

Will the .inf files created for nvidia's driver 177.26 work for driver 177.35? I'm using a 8800 GT 512 on XP 32. I searched and found these .inf files:

GTX 280/260 teaser drivers

Thanks!

They are on Pagalm's post #88

3. PhysX Driver that Works on all Capable GPUs to be out by August

The drivers should work... I'd suggest throwing it to Pagalms or the GTX 260/280 teaser driver thread... I know there is a list somewhere for it. All you need is the modded .inf file. But, Driver 177.66 don't need the modded .inf... Just go to Guru3d and grab them and install.

Cold Storm, May 10, 2022
  4. McQueen Win User

Some general driver inf file questions

Does "Intel INF" ever really install anything?

I'm trying to find out if I have the latest chipset drivers. I'm more stubborn than skilled, I hope someone here knows more about how drivers work.

Take first, as a simpler and more straight-forward example of how I thought it always worked, the most common Realtek LAN driver. In the downloaded package, in the same folder as the .inf file (rt64win7.inf), there also is a .sys file (rt64win7.sys) which I assume is the driver, and there also are 2 DLL files (RtNicprop64.DLL and RTNUninst64.dll) and I can guess they are used for viewing properties and uninstall. If I look at my NIC in the Device Manager, under Drivers / More Info, these 3 are listed as the driver files. Also, if I look in rt64win7.inf, there are references to all 3 mentioned .sys and .dll files (e g under heading [SourceDisksFiles]). So it all makes sense.

There are 2 chipset drivers. The ME driver seems understandable. But when it comes to Intel INF installer, there are several things that to me look like they are never used:

The downloaded package consists of only .inf and .cat files, no related code (as in .sys or .dll files).
    If I run pnputil.exe -e, make a list of all oemXX.inf files that say "Intel", and open these in C:\Windows\Inf, then I can see the files from Intel that are actually being used, including the original file names (before Windows renamed them to oemXX.inf). And from that I can see that the .inf files in use never are the ones that came with the Intel Inf package (the used drivers I guess are something Microsoft found)
    If I compare all .inf files in the downloaded Intel INF package with all .inf files in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository, only 3 are in common: cougcore.inf, cougsmb.inf and SNB2009.inf. But in these, there are no references to any .sys or .dll file, and under the heading [SourceDisksFiles] it is just blank.
    Looking closer at what driver is used for the SM Bus: In Device Manager I see that it uses intelsmb.sys (and intelsmb.inf, via Info / INF name), and that the device's ID is 1C22. I think the Intel INF installer is supposed to match that ID to what devices the .inf files list that they support. Now, with the Intel INF package there came a newer driver for the SM Bus, cougsmb.inf. Both cougsmb.inf and intelsmb.inf are in the FileRepository directory, so it looks like the system has tried to install them at some point. And in both these .inf files, 1C22 is listed under "supported devices". The cougsmb.inf is newer, and it is specifically for Cougar Point chipsets, which is what is on the H67 chipset boards like mine. Still the system uses intelsmb.inf.

So it looks like my system uses old chipset drivers (probably whatever Microsoft found at the original install), and that the files that should install new drivers are empty.

Am I missing something?

PS Running Win7 64bit with i3-2100 and H67 chipset.

McQueen, May 10, 2022
Thema:

Some general driver inf file questions

1. Some general driver inf file questions - Similar Threads - general driver inf

2. Some general driver inf file questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some general driver inf file questions: I'm trying to update a driver from windows 7 to windows 10. The drier will only be installed on systems with intel chips.1. Microsoft requires that the .inf file contain a NTamd64 but doesn't require a NTia64 section. Isn't NTia64 what I want, considering that it is for...
  3. Some general driver inf file questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some general driver inf file questions: I'm trying to update a driver from windows 7 to windows 10. The drier will only be installed on systems with intel chips.1. Microsoft requires that the .inf file contain a NTamd64 but doesn't require a NTia64 section. Isn't NTia64 what I want, considering that it is for...
  4. Some general questions about Bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Some general questions about Bitlocker: Today I was told I should look into Bitlocker so I'm trying to determine if it fits my needs and can be implemented without too much pain. I currently have a 20GB VeraCrypt "container" on a NAS drive. A script commands VeraCrypt to mount this as a specific drive letter (which...
  5. general question

in Windows 10 Support
    general question: ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz Installed RAM8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable) Device ID2A19870F-A938-4F6A-A546-98CBA23F63BA Product ID00330-80000-00000-AA420 System type64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen and touchNo pen or touch input is...
  6. Some General Newer Computer Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Some General Newer Computer Questions: Question #1: first question is, is it bad to use the button on case daily to turn off the RGB Lightning prior to sleeping? i could sleep with it, wouldn't bother me i don't think, but lately been switching it off nightly. Just worry a bit if i turn it off too much, might...
  7. General Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General Question: I just had a general question about a setup that I have done. I built my PC and I have an M.2SSD which the os and programs are installed on. From there, I have two SSD drives which I put all the recent jobs that Im working on. From there, I have a dedicated scratch SSD that...
  8. General question

in Windows 10 Support
    General question: I'm trying to help a friend. Ever since he installed the newest Windows 10 updates all of his non-window icons have disappeared. The exe file for his antivirus is not visible (although it says it's properly installed). Something as simply as a yahoo mail app can't be found....
  9. USB drivers architecture general questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drivers architecture general questions: If you have two identical model USB printers plugged to the same machine, how does the printer know to print to the right one, is it based on what port the printer is plugged into or do all USB devices have unique IDs. When you plug a USB device in (E.G keyboard) if I...
  10. Question About General Drivers' Dates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question About General Drivers' Dates: Hello, so I've noticed this a long time ago, and it's stil the case. I'm just curious to why the majority of general drivers' dates in the Device Manager are dated as: 6/21/2006 Why so old? Why hasn't there been updates to those drivers ever (since 2006)? I'm just curious...