Windows 10: Some general questions about Bitlocker

Discus and support Some general questions about Bitlocker in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Today I was told I should look into Bitlocker so I'm trying to determine if it fits my needs and can be implemented without too much pain. I currently... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pokeefe0001, May 5, 2021.

1. Some general questions about Bitlocker

Today I was told I should look into Bitlocker so I'm trying to determine if it fits my needs and can be implemented without too much pain. I currently have a 20GB VeraCrypt "container" on a NAS drive. A script commands VeraCrypt to mount this as a specific drive letter (which it does when given the password). Another script commands VeraCrypt to unmount it. The file / drive can be mounted to any of 4 computers, but only one at a time. When not mounted this Veracrypt container can be backed up and restored. Today I read that a VHD / VHDX "disk" can be encrypted by Bitlocker. I guess that could serve my purposes if the underlying file can be on a NAS drive. Can it? Is the password requested whenever the VHD is mounted? Only one of my 4 computers has a TMP chip. I'm very unclear how Bitlocker works when TMP is not available. Most of what I've read seems to assume the computer's system disk is encrypted which is not the case for me. Do the encryption keys (or whatever is stored in the TMP) have to be available at boot time or only when the encrypted drive is mounted? And does this encryption data have to be on an external device like a USB memory stick? (Since one of my computers is accessed almost exclusively via Remote Desktop I would need to have this USB device permanently mounted.) My gut feeling is that Bitlocker may be overkill here. I'm just trying to keep some data from casual prying eyes, not protecting national security information.

:)

pokeefe0001, May 5, 2021

2. Bitlocker Questions

Okay... just saw that mistake

- - - Updated - - -

Some general questions about Bitlocker [​IMG]

I followed the step 1 instructions in that link you posted...

So i should now turn on bitlocker to see if it works? Or do I need to do both step 2 and 3 in that link you posted... before I turn on bitlocker?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks saw that mistake. I post some more pictures. So what do you want me to do now? Do step 2 and 3 in that link you posted? Or try to turn on bitlocker right now after doing the 1st step? Im not sure if in that link, they want you to do all 3 steps or not? Or is it try step 1... if it works, thats it and then turn on bitlocker?

- - - Updated - - -

I am doing step 3.... I did the first part of step 3 and it showed tons of words which meant i entered it correct. But the last step of step 3... i seem to get error? What am i typing wrong here?

Some general questions about Bitlocker [​IMG]

paulyjustin, May 5, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, May 5, 2021
  4. Some general questions about Bitlocker

Bitlocker Questions

Brink thanks. Looking at the steps, 1st step is not necessary right? I think last time i didn't do anything to this but is 256 bit much better than 128 bit?

Since i want TPM with pin... i do step 4 right?

I have TPM 1.2 when checking my laptop.

paulyjustin, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Some general questions about Bitlocker

1. Some general questions about Bitlocker - Similar Threads - general questions Bitlocker

2. Question about bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about bitlocker: Did Microsoft turn on bitlocker on personal laptops? I helped a student connect to eduoam by installing the eduroam cat client and she wanted to use outlook desktop app to connect to her school email. We had to reboot and bitlocker key came up. Luckily she registered her...
  3. Question about bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about bitlocker: Did Microsoft turn on bitlocker on personal laptops? I helped a student connect to eduoam by installing the eduroam cat client and she wanted to use outlook desktop app to connect to her school email. We had to reboot and bitlocker key came up. Luckily she registered her...
  4. Question about bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Some general driver inf file questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some general driver inf file questions: I'm trying to update a driver from windows 7 to windows 10. The drier will only be installed on systems with intel chips.1. Microsoft requires that the .inf file contain a NTamd64 but doesn't require a NTia64 section. Isn't NTia64 what I want, considering that it is for...
  6. Some general driver inf file questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some general driver inf file questions: I'm trying to update a driver from windows 7 to windows 10. The drier will only be installed on systems with intel chips.1. Microsoft requires that the .inf file contain a NTamd64 but doesn't require a NTia64 section. Isn't NTia64 what I want, considering that it is for...
  7. Some general driver inf file questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Some General Newer Computer Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Some General Newer Computer Questions: Question #1: first question is, is it bad to use the button on case daily to turn off the RGB Lightning prior to sleeping? i could sleep with it, wouldn't bother me i don't think, but lately been switching it off nightly. Just worry a bit if i turn it off too much, might...
  9. General question about ffmpeg

in Windows 10 Support
    General question about ffmpeg: Hello, I am just curious and could not find an answer, so I'll ask here, please. Have some multimedia programs (video and audio) all portables. Each one has "ffmpeg,exe" in its folder. But file sizes are different: 269 kb to 448 kb, and one even 34,334 kb. Recently downloaded...
  10. Question About General Drivers' Dates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question About General Drivers' Dates: Hello, so I've noticed this a long time ago, and it's stil the case. I'm just curious to why the majority of general drivers' dates in the Device Manager are dated as: 6/21/2006 Why so old? Why hasn't there been updates to those drivers ever (since 2006)? I'm just curious...